The Student Room Group

Japanese Language/studies Applicants For 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Got offers from Leeds & Manchester... both of them want AAB!

I'm only predicted ABB. I should probably stop worrying about offers now and start worrying about exams! :colondollar:

The best of luck to everyone. :smile:
Original post by moonlight_caster
Sheffield V.S SOAS

Which is the better university for Japanese Studies?

Help!!

Footnote: I'm not the best at book reading!! Do they both require the same amount of book reading for the additional modules e.g. politics, economy, history etc?

Your best bet is to go to both offer holder open days and then make your choice. I haven't been to SOAS, I didn't even apply. However I know a few people who choice Sheffield over SOAS due to the university atmosphere. The amount of required reading will probably be the same, though i'm not sure.
Original post by moonlight_caster
Sheffield V.S SOAS

Which is the better university for Japanese Studies?

Help!!

Footnote: I'm not the best at book reading!! Do they both require the same amount of book reading for the additional modules e.g. politics, economy, history etc?

This is only from what I've read of different University modules and people's experiences with Japanese in the 'a week in the life of a SOAS student' thread...

But it appears to me that Japanese at SOAS is almost all language and maybe 1 or 2 modules in culture and a floater of your choice.

Sheffield appears to be almost as intensive language-wise with 3-4 culture/history/politics modules.

Manchester appears to be just as intensive language-wise as Sheffield but has like... 5 (I can't remember, it's been a while, but it's quite a few) culture/history/politics modules. It was definitely more than Sheffield.

I can't remember specifics and I may very well be wrong in general (those module lists are changing all the time), but check out each University's modules for a better idea of what the course content will be.

Edit: This is all for the 1st year, as well.
Reply 323
Original post by Im_a_cyborg
At The university of Sheffield we don't really use books for language classes, the teachers create the worksheets etc themselves. However, we do use the books 'Basic Kanji Book' volume 1 and 2 for Kanji in our first year. Not sure about the 2nd year as I am a 1st year.

Oh and the workload hasn't been too bad so far. I've only done my first semester though. You do have to put a lot of work in outside of class but hopefully, if you are like me, you will enjoy it so it wont seem as bad. It is easy to fall behind but as long as you work from the off its ok :biggrin: I just hope next semester isnt too much of a step up XD

Feel free to ask me any questions everyone, im in a mood for answering questions :biggrin:

Hopefully, you're still in the mood for answering questions.... :biggrin: because I've got a couple.

1. How many people would you say are doing the course?
2. How quick would you say the pace is at Sheffield? I mean, does it feel rushed? Or do they not spend very long on each point before you move on?
3. In your opinion, how are the teachers there? Helpful, friendly? I've heard nothing but good things about them but still..
4. If you started ab inicio, what would you say was the standard level of Japanese for other people on your course? Did most know GCSE level, or AS already?
5. (Bit random but..) How is the accomodation? (if you live in either of the two villages? If you do, would you recommend catered or self-catered?)

It'd be mega helpful if you could answer some of those :tongue:
I'd love a first year's POV :colondollar:
Original post by Chayne
Hopefully, you're still in the mood for answering questions.... :biggrin: because I've got a couple.

1. How many people would you say are doing the course?
2. How quick would you say the pace is at Sheffield? I mean, does it feel rushed? Or do they not spend very long on each point before you move on?
3. In your opinion, how are the teachers there? Helpful, friendly? I've heard nothing but good things about them but still..
4. If you started ab inicio, what would you say was the standard level of Japanese for other people on your course? Did most know GCSE level, or AS already?
5. (Bit random but..) How is the accomodation? (if you live in either of the two villages? If you do, would you recommend catered or self-catered?)

It'd be mega helpful if you could answer some of those :tongue:
I'd love a first year's POV :colondollar:

Hi, yes i still am XD

1. Initially there were around 60-65, now i think there is 50 or so, perhaps even less, we are split into 3 groups so its hard to keep track.

2. The pace is fast, but not rushed. I look at what I have learnt since september and its amazing. You are taught a lot of things in a short space of time but the course is structured so that you easily learn the points you have been taught. Each week we get new grammar points. These new grammar points are explained in 3 classes. The rest of the language classes in that week focus on using those grammar points. You also get written homework using the grammar points so by the next week you should have a good knowledge of the grammar. Vocab is given to you sometimes and you are just expected to learn it in your own time, but its not too much.

3. The teachers are great, they are friendly, their classes are very relaxed and they get to know you very quickly. They are always happy to help and provide a lot of material prior to exams etc.

4. I started from scratch and i did seem a minority. A lot of people I had met had done A Level and GCSE. However, the classes are structured for people with no prior knowledge so you aren't at a disadvantage. They said at the start that around 30 - 50% of the best students at the end of the 1st year started from scratch. By 2nd semester we are all supposed to be relatively at the same level.

5. Im in the Endcliffe village, self catered. Nice area, about a 25 min walk to uni but its not really a problem. Only problem with is it the price, it is quite high i feel, but aside from that its fine. I can't give an opinion on catered because I have never used Endcliffes cafeteria. I just went self catered due to it being cheaper.

Hope this helps.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 325
Hi, yes i still am XD

1. Initially there were around 60-65, now i think there is 50 or so, perhaps even less, we are split into 3 groups so its hard to keep track.

2. The pace is fast, but not rushed. I look at what I have learnt since september and its amazing. You are taught a lot of things in a short space of time but the course is structured so that you easily learn the points you have been taught. Each week we get new grammar points. These new grammar points are explained in 3 classes. The rest of the language classes in that week focus on using those grammar points. You also get written homework using the grammar points so by the next week you should have a good knowledge of the grammar. Vocab is given to you sometimes and you are just expected to learn it in your own time, but its not too much.

3. The teachers are great, they are friendly, their classes are very relaxed and they get to know you very quickly. They are always happy to help and provide a lot of material prior to exams etc.

4. I started from scratch and i did seem a minority. A lot of people I had met had done A Level and GCSE. However, the classes are structured for people with no prior knowledge so you aren't at a disadvantage. They said at the start that around 30 - 50% of the best students at the end of the 1st year started from scratch. By 2nd semester we are all supposed to be relatively at the same level.

5. Im in the Endcliffe village, self catered. Nice area, about a 25 min walk to uni but its not really a problem. Only problem with is it the price, it is quite high i feel, but aside from that its fine. I can't give an opinion on catered because I have never used Endcliffes cafeteria. I just went self catered due to it being cheaper.

Hope this helps.

It helps a lot! Thanks so much for answering all these questions :biggrin:
I'd pretty much decided on Sheffield as my firm so I spose these were more to give me an idea of what it'd be like afterwards.

Though I'm surprised that there's already been drop outs :s-smilie:

Last question :redface:, and that is, are you enjoying it overall? Or could you see yourself being at any other uni?
Original post by Chayne
It helps a lot! Thanks so much for answering all these questions :biggrin:
I'd pretty much decided on Sheffield as my firm so I spose these were more to give me an idea of what it'd be like afterwards.

Though I'm surprised that there's already been drop outs :s-smilie:

Last question :redface:, and that is, are you enjoying it overall? Or could you see yourself being at any other uni?

Most drop outs were people who didn't do well in the mid semester exams. These students were offered a chance to take East Asian studies with Japanese (which is less intensive) so many students opted for that instead.

Yes I really enjoy it, I get on well with fellow students and teachers and most importantly enjoy the course... so far. :biggrin: No I cant see myself at another university, my insurance was Newcastle, and I cant imagine going there haha.
Reply 327
Most drop outs were people who didn't do well in the mid semester exams. These students were offered a chance to take East Asian studies with Japanese (which is less intensive) so many students opted for that instead.

Yes I really enjoy it, I get on well with fellow students and teachers and most importantly enjoy the course... so far. :biggrin: No I cant see myself at another university, my insurance was Newcastle, and I cant imagine going there haha.

Ahh, I see. That's good to know then, that there's always East Asian Studies :smile:

Greatt, thanks so much for your help :tongue:
If all goes to plan, Sheffield here I come :biggrin:
Reply 328
So many lucky people who have offers already.
I'm still waiting and slowly losing my sanity doing so.
*waits some more*
Hi wats going on, can any uni undergrads tell me wat the Leeds course and which one I should choose between, Leeds or Sheffield and why? :biggrin:

I got offers from Leeds, Manc and Sheffield! :biggrin:
Just to take a flying leap onto the bandwagon - would people consider Sheffield or Edinburgh to be a better choice of course?

@Narutofan88: I think out of those Sheffield is the most highly regarded ... Manchester is a very new course and is still developing from what I've heard, but in a few years I think it could overtake Sheffield. There's not much between Leeds and Sheffield as far as I'm aware so it just depends which one you'd rather write on a CV :biggrin:
Original post by Narutofan88
Hi wats going on, can any uni undergrads tell me wat the Leeds course and which one I should choose between, Leeds or Sheffield and why? :biggrin:

I got offers from Leeds, Manc and Sheffield! :biggrin:

The only real difference is the fact you go on your year abroad in your 2nd year at Leeds but your 3rd in Sheffield.
Reply 332
Applying for
Japanese and History: Sheffield
Japanese and Philosophy: Leeds
Japanese and History: SOAS

Sending off today.
Reply 333
Politics and japanese, Oxford Brookes: unconditional
International relations and japanese, Leeds: unconditional
Politics and japanese, SOAS: still waiting for answer.

If SOAS turns me down I will definatly go to Leeds. If I on the other hand get an offer from SOAS I will have a big dilemma!:eek:
Original post by frogout
Erm, where did you read this? In Manchester, the first year is mainly language, given that the first year is 120 credits, the beginners Japanese course takes up 60 credits of this, you do a history module in semester 1 and society in 2. Then you have 20 credits to do an outside subject with. The advanced class is 40 credits and then you do those two things and then I think something about Japanese TV, like how to understand the TV, films, news etc. If you do joint honours you usually don't do any of the non-language Japanese modules (in first year) unless you are in the advanced class. Hope that clears it up :smile:

Yeah, looking at the site again I see now that I was looking at a full list of 3 years' worth of modules and not just 1 year... don't mind me, I'm speaking rubbish. :tongue: That makes things better for me now, though, because I'd much rather spend more time learning the language than doing so many of the essay-type modules, so I think that's placed Manchester above Sheffield for me. Thanks for clearing it up and sorry for giving out bogus information (though I did say it was based on brief looks at lists of modules :tongue:)

I wish I knew more about the Japanese department in Manchester in general though, nobody ever speaks of it, same with Edinburgh. I know it's because it only started in 2007, but I'm pretty sure it could become one of the best Japanese departments in the UK in a few years' time, from what I have heard of it.
Original post by GuineaPrig
Yeah, looking at the site again I see now that I was looking at a full list of 3 years' worth of modules and not just 1 year... don't mind me, I'm speaking rubbish. :tongue: That makes things better for me now, though, because I'd much rather spend more time learning the language than doing so many of the essay-type modules, so I think that's placed Manchester above Sheffield for me. Thanks for clearing it up and sorry for giving out bogus information (though I did say it was based on brief looks at lists of modules :tongue:)

I wish I knew more about the Japanese department in Manchester in general though, nobody ever speaks of it, same with Edinburgh. I know it's because it only started in 2007, but I'm pretty sure it could become one of the best Japanese departments in the UK in a few years' time, from what I have heard of it.

Well Sheffield has 80 credits of the years 120 based on language, so even less weighting on the extra modules and more on language. :rolleyes:
Well Sheffield has 80 credits of the years 120 based on language, so even less weighting on the extra modules and more on language. :rolleyes:

Yes, I know. I said I was wrong about modules etc. Manchester has been placed higher than Sheffield for me at the moment based on certain bursaries they offer and the fact I have relatives in Manchester. That is all.

Oh God, I wish SOAS would get back to me. I got all my responses fairly early so this is quite painful. Would be very interested to hear when people start receiving their decisions from them!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 337
Still waiting on SOAS and Edinburgh... I haven't even had acknowledgement from Edinburgh yet! :P
Impatieeeenttt.
Original post by Shuu
Still waiting on SOAS and Edinburgh... I haven't even had acknowledgement from Edinburgh yet! :P
Impatieeeenttt.

Both of them are known to be late with replies unfortunately.

Im quite surprised at how theres not many people who applied to Newcastle. :confused:
Reply 339
Both of them are known to be late with replies unfortunately.

Im quite surprised at how theres not many people who applied to Newcastle. :confused:

I applied to Newcastle :h:

Quick Reply

Latest