The Student Room Group

Japanese Language/studies Applicants For 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
Original post by tstar-x
Hey, I'm a first year Business Studies and Japanese student at Sheffield (we are a rare breed I'm afraid!) so if you have any particular questions about the course, I'll be happy to help :smile:

Oh wow this is great! So how many others are there? or are you the only one

Also how are you finding it potentially doing 2 degrees including learning one of the hardest languages? I think that is my biggest fear coping with doing both halfs of the degree
Reply 361
Original post by ozair
Oh wow this is great! So how many others are there? or are you the only one

Also how are you finding it potentially doing 2 degrees including learning one of the hardest languages? I think that is my biggest fear coping with doing both halfs of the degree

There's 2 other people doing this exact combination, most people do single honours. I was also worried about balancing both subjects, but I'm coping so far. It helps that the first year is weighted 80:40 towards Japanese, so I'm only doing 2 management modules at the moment. I think you just have to be a little more organised and not leave management work until the last minute, it's definitely do-able :smile:

I have done A-level Japanese, so it hasn't felt as intense as it could have been so far. Having said that, we've reached AS standard already and there is isn't much difference between those with prior knowledge and those without anymore.
Reply 362
Original post by tstar-x
There's 2 other people doing this exact combination, most people do single honours. I was also worried about balancing both subjects, but I'm coping so far. It helps that the first year is weighted 80:40 towards Japanese, so I'm only doing 2 management modules at the moment. I think you just have to be a little more organised and not leave management work until the last minute, it's definitely do-able :smile:

I have done A-level Japanese, so it hasn't felt as intense as it could have been so far. Having said that, we've reached AS standard already and there is isn't much difference between those with prior knowledge and those without anymore.

Thanks that has put me at ease although I must say even if it was impossibly hard I would definitely force myself to make it work! I haven't actually done no Japanese at all so I will be completely dumb to it. Already AS level standard that sounds peak! I am so looking forward to starting this, I am actually going to Japan and South Korea in April :biggrin: Are you staying in halls? If yes then which ones are you at and are they any good? Any recommendations?
Reply 363
Original post by ozair
Oh are you doing the same?!
I only had 5 options which was annoying but kind of handy because I immediately knew what my options would be lol

I applied to Sheffield, Cardiff, Oxford brookes, Birmingham (International Business with a Language), and SOAS (Japanese and Management)

I got accepted by Sheffield, Cardiff & Oxford Brookes and rejected by the other 2.

If I did get an offer from all 5 I still would have picked Sheffield as my Firm so I am happy (:

Yeah, there isn't much choice. I applied for Edinburgh, Soas, Manchester, Cardiff and Oxford ( for just Japanese.. I had an extra space and someone presided me to.) I wouldve applied for Sheffield but I didn't even know they did it, plus I didn't know anything about Sheffield either, I barely found the otter courses by acccident. I'm Irish btw so the sheer amount of universities was overwhelming and I got a bit confused but oh well.
Got interview at Oxford despite clearly stating several tune in my ps that I wanted to study business... Lets just say I wasn't surprised when I got the rejection letter.
I also ended up switching Cardiff to a slightly different course in Ucl, which was statistics and a language, haven't heard back from them yet which is a good sign. Changed it because I decided I wouldn't go to Cardiff if I got an offer so I might as well go for something different.
Got an offer from Manchester pretty quickly I'm october bit nothing else since. Still waiting on Soas edinburgh and Ucl. When did you get rejected by Soas? I thought they weren't making any decisions yet because the degree hasn't been approve yet?
Original post by tstar-x

Wow thats rly suprising lol but surely since you did A-level you didnt have to work as hard as people who havent done it, and u must have still known a little more kanji than others?
Also how does kanji learning work and do are some people slightly behind because to me being at AS standard, you must have gone thru it swiftly :smile:
Reply 365
Unsuccessful for Leeds English and Japanese. :teehee:

I was pretty much expecting that seeing as I substituted it in after the deadline on an off chance. As long as it's not Sheffield handing out rejections I'm remaining apathetic.
Reply 366
Original post by Ruadhan
Yeah, there isn't much choice. I applied for Edinburgh, Soas, Manchester, Cardiff and Oxford ( for just Japanese.. I had an extra space and someone presided me to.) I wouldve applied for Sheffield but I didn't even know they did it, plus I didn't know anything about Sheffield either, I barely found the otter courses by acccident. I'm Irish btw so the sheer amount of universities was overwhelming and I got a bit confused but oh well.
Got interview at Oxford despite clearly stating several tune in my ps that I wanted to study business... Lets just say I wasn't surprised when I got the rejection letter.
I also ended up switching Cardiff to a slightly different course in Ucl, which was statistics and a language, haven't heard back from them yet which is a good sign. Changed it because I decided I wouldn't go to Cardiff if I got an offer so I might as well go for something different.
Got an offer from Manchester pretty quickly I'm october bit nothing else since. Still waiting on Soas edinburgh and Ucl. When did you get rejected by Soas? I thought they weren't making any decisions yet because the degree hasn't been approve yet?

I got the rejection from ucas track around the 14th of jan so very recently, also I actually didn't apply for their Japanese and Management because I could not find it so I just put down just Japanese.
Reply 367
Original post by ozair
Thanks that has put me at ease although I must say even if it was impossibly hard I would definitely force myself to make it work! I haven't actually done no Japanese at all so I will be completely dumb to it. Already AS level standard that sounds peak! I am so looking forward to starting this, I am actually going to Japan and South Korea in April :biggrin: Are you staying in halls? If yes then which ones are you at and are they any good? Any recommendations?

Sounds good, you must be looking forward to it!

Yes, I'm currently staying in the Endcliffe village in en-suite accommodation. The majority of accomodation is very new but can be quite expensive. It depends on your budget, but I would say all the accomodation is of good standard.

Original post by Narutofan88
Wow thats rly suprising lol but surely since you did A-level you didnt have to work as hard as people who havent done it, and u must have still known a little more kanji than others?
Also how does kanji learning work and do are some people slightly behind because to me being at AS standard, you must have gone thru it swiftly :smile:

Well that is true, but there are lots of other things about usage of grammar that may be new to you. Since AS and A2 don't require speaking or listening, you might also find that now having these classes at uni helps to reinforce the grammar better.
With kanji, we have a workbook and we get set about 20~25 kanji a week. Kanji is something you have to self-study so it is up to you to find out which method works best for you. There are optional kanji classes which I find useful but if you're already comfortable with kanji then there's no need to go. I think we've covered about 200 so far, so you will still be a little ahead but this does give you the chance to learn them properly if you didn't do it the first time round (like me :redface:). My Japanese handwriting has gotten so much better now - at the beginning they are very strict with writing kana correctly, which is a good thing!
Reply 368
Never studied Japanese formally but I've been living in Tokyo for 5 months. So I'm invading your thread.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 369
Original post by Susant
Unsuccessful for Leeds English and Japanese. :teehee:

I was pretty much expecting that seeing as I substituted it in after the deadline on an off chance. As long as it's not Sheffield handing out rejections I'm remaining apathetic.

:hugs:
Original post by Narutofan88
Can i ask, are any of the people here who are planning to go to Sheffield for japanese, like intimidated by the intensity of this course, I heard loads of people drop out and anyone done japanese before at school, coz i do it for A-levels? just wondering anyone else like me :biggrin:

i really want to go to sheffield but i havent heard back yet, i have never done japanese before and im kinda worried about the stress ...
Reply 371
Original post by ussumane
:hugs:

Make that a manry hug :teehee:

Haven't hard back from Sheffield either, which is okay with me for now :biggrin:. I guess the best you can do is just go through it methodically and avoid letting a backlog of work build up at all costs. Factor in lazy tendencies though and it goes all wobbly....
I got into SHEFFIELD :smile:
My voice is a tiny bit hoarse from screaming...
Reply 373
Original post by NeonJellyBabies<3
I got into SHEFFIELD :smile:
My voice is a tiny bit hoarse from screaming...

Congratulations :h:
Thanks n_n.
You know the dude dancing in your sig.. He's from Angola-my country (Y)
That song is actually a bangerr over there lol.
Reply 375
Original post by NeonJellyBabies<3
Thanks n_n.
You know the dude dancing in your sig.. He's from Angola-my country (Y)
That song is actually a bangerr over there lol.

Falas Portugues entao? :teeth:
Sim sim lol!
Mas eu faco muitos erros..
Manda-me uma mensagem no inbox..
I -still- havent heard back from sheffield ... anyone else still waiting? :/
Reply 378
Original post by kimikachan
I -still- havent heard back from sheffield ... anyone else still waiting? :/

Yes
Ahh I'm so excited. I just wanna get started now! I know I'll not be saying this in a year's time, but I want to learn 25 kanji a week!! :biggrin: It feels so rewarding when you can understand little snippets here and there and as you get more vocabulary you're like '...oh so THAT'S what it means!'... great feeling.

Come on SOAS!! ARGH :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest