Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chayne)
    Wow, nice taste you got there

Which college are you applying to at Cambridge? And can I ask why you chose Cambridge instead of Oxford?

Sorry for being nosy, I just want to see if your reason is the same as mine

Also, ditto on the preparation work. I'd never cracked open a genuine history book until I'd decided to do Japanese at uni :p: Just for curiosity's sake, any good reads? Don't worry, personal statement has been sent off already :yep:
    I'm going for St Johns... just because I've been there several times and it looks nice :p:
    I picked Cambridge over Oxford because the year abroad is in the 3rd year, whereas Oxford is much earlier I think (at least it was when I first looked at them both ).
    I just preferred Cambridge's layout to Oxford's I guess.

I have no idea what parts of Japanese history you're interested in, so can't really recommend much in that department
    However, fiction-wise you gotta go with the classics: Soseki's 'Kokoro' is something EVERYONE should read

Same questions back at you! Being nosy is totally fine as long as I can be too Personal statement was sent off Friday, so no ulterior motives here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeonJellyBabies<3)
    Aaah-I'm so glad this thread has been made.

Applying to SOAS, Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds, Oxford Brookes.
    Hi there! Great choices!
    Mind if I dive right in and ask why you chose to study Japanese?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by An Jie)
    Hi there! Great choices!
    Mind if I dive right in and ask why you chose to study Japanese?
    Because I find Japanese culture so fascinating-I've been obsessed since I was a kid.
    I love learning new languages too, which makes it the ideal course for me (Y)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by An Jie)
    I'm going for St Johns... just because I've been there several times and it looks nice :p:
    I picked Cambridge over Oxford because the year abroad is in the 3rd year, whereas Oxford is much earlier I think (at least it was when I first looked at them both ).
    I just preferred Cambridge's layout to Oxford's I guess.

I have no idea what parts of Japanese history you're interested in, so can't really recommend much in that department
    However, fiction-wise you gotta go with the classics: Soseki's 'Kokoro' is something EVERYONE should read

Same questions back at you! Being nosy is totally fine as long as I can be too Personal statement was sent off Friday, so no ulterior motives here
    Ahh, I see Mine was mostly course-based too. I basically thought the Oxford course was a bit boring. Not for me at all. I was going to be applying for Selwyn College though - it's lovely and the location was perfect for me :yep:

You have a point about the book recommendation. Thanks for the recommendation, the title sounds interesting already.. I'm intrigued. Personally, I really like Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami. I wouldn't be surprised if you've read it already though :rolleyes: Everyone seems to have.

ReputationRep:
    It seems that everyone here might surpass me in intelligence
    I'm applying for various Japanese courses at Newcastle x2, Manchester x2 and Leeds...
    Before I get questions on the x2, its because this is what I think I can risk applying for based off my IB grade: 32 - but with higher performance in higher level subjects than standard level... weirdly enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IBzombie)
    I'm applying for various Japanese courses at Newcastle x2, Manchester x2 and Leeds...
    Before I get questions on the x2, its because this is what I think I can risk applying for based off my IB grade: 32 - but with higher performance in higher level subjects than standard level... weirdly enough
    32 is not too bad a score... you shouldn't put yourself down!! It's the same as (well... uni's see it as) BBB, or in your case, ABC because of the highers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juxtai)
    Ahaha yes I really liked Leeds. Mr Shaw was pretty inspirational! To be honest, it was my first choice for a long time, I liked the look of the course etc. Even though I'm not going there, the course looks great.
    I'm off to Sheffield during the half term... will have a look around... it may become my first choice... the prof there seems like a great guy....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IBzombie)
    Honestly? Nobody will care what A Levels or what your IB grade is once you're into Uni! So long as you get onto a course that you want to do, then it doesn't matter =) My friend missed out on her target grade by 3 grades and still got accepted into Royal Holloway to do a Physics Masters.... So don't put yourself down! You can do it =D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spekstaa)
    I'm off to Sheffield during the half term... will have a look around... it may become my first choice... the prof there seems like a great guy....
    Yeah the professors were actually one of the biggest reasons why I chose Sheffield. But see how you like the place anyway! I looked at Edinburgh and absolutely hated it; when I was 100% sure before I went that I was going to love it. I just didn't like the 'feel' of the place. Strange how that happens huh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spekstaa)
    32 is not too bad a score... you shouldn't put yourself down!! It's the same as (well... uni's see it as) BBB, or in your case, ABC because of the highers!
    Hey there! Thanks for sending me to this thread from the Oxford Applicant's page! :P
    And oohh - 3 choices out of your 5 are mine! Oxford, Sheffield, Leeds - my other two are Edinburgh and SOAS..

I am actually applying for Jap and Korean where I can - and I have the same course as you Jap and Russian B! Oh - which college are you applying to at Oxford?

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for;
    Newcastle: Modern Languages (French, German, Japanese)

Birmingham: Modern Languages (French, German, Japanese)

Cardiff: French and Japanese

Manchester: German and Japanese

Leeds: Japanese and ??

I've made my decisions of French/German based on the course content, and Manchester and Cardiff make it easier because I want more business oriented modules and they offer more business in one language than the other. But Leeds doesn't seem to do much for either language, and the modules seem similar so got to decide, although it's my least favourite of the 5 I'm applying to so hopefully won't matter too much.

Need to write final draft of PS, then send everything off! Aah!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chayne)
    Personally, I really like Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami. I wouldn't be surprised if you've read it already though :rolleyes: Everyone seems to have.
    I haven't actually read it, though I think a few of my friends have
    It's probably in the library (somewhere :p: ) so I'll see if I can find it. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I am new here but am glad to get a bit of information on Japanese courses/unis etc.
    My doing japanese was a bit of a spur of the moment thing I only decided to do it for certain about a month ago. Have sent off application form to Oxford, Edinburgh, SOAS, Manchester and Leeds.
    Was wondering how anyone was preparing for potential interviews?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaant)
    Hey guys, I am new here but am glad to get a bit of information on Japanese courses/unis etc.
    My doing japanese was a bit of a spur of the moment thing I only decided to do it for certain about a month ago. Have sent off application form to Oxford, Edinburgh, SOAS, Manchester and Leeds.
    Was wondering how anyone was preparing for potential interviews?
    My choices are almost the same - I just have Sheffield instead of Manchester!

Just read up some Japanese authors (Kokoro seems to be everyone's first read - thought not everyone likes it! :P) or if novels seem to daunting try out any book of short stories first - it will give you a feel of Jap Lit while exposing you to a lot of Authors!

And it would probably help to read up on Jap history. I talk about its relations with other countries so I'll probably use that as my focal point and read up on it (again) before I go in!

Which college did you apply to at Oxford by the way??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anurules)
    My choices are almost the same - I just have Sheffield instead of Manchester!

Just read up some Japanese authors (Kokoro seems to be everyone's first read - thought not everyone likes it! :P) or if novels seem to daunting try out any book of short stories first - it will give you a feel of Jap Lit while exposing you to a lot of Authors!

And it would probably help to read up on Jap history. I talk about its relations with other countries so I'll probably use that as my focal point and read up on it (again) before I go in!

Which college did you apply to at Oxford by the way??
    Hertford
    went there on the open day and it has a very good japanese department plus I really liked the head of admissions - a very down to earth guy.
    I have read Norwegian Wood and after the quake by Murakami. I also wrote on my personal statement that I read 'The Tale of Genji' which is a literary classic. It's also 1200 pages long, but still interesting.
    From those two books it appears there isn't a polygamous person in Japan
    Is everyone going to the SOAS open day on wednesday?

ReputationRep:
    Hey you guys, I'm hopefully applying to Leeds and Manchester, but does anyone know how much the year in Japan costs? I missed the open day so :-(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaant)
    Hertford
    went there on the open day and it has a very good japanese department plus I really liked the head of admissions - a very down to earth guy.
    I have read Norwegian Wood and after the quake by Murakami. I also wrote on my personal statement that I read 'The Tale of Genji' which is a literary classic. It's also 1200 pages long, but still interesting.
    From those two books it appears there isn't a polygamous person in Japan
    Is everyone going to the SOAS open day on wednesday?
    Oh my! I applied to Hertford! We're competing for like 4 spaces I hope we get in!!

The Tale of Genji!?? But that is HARD - and LONG! I wouldn't dare to start that for fears of killing my literary curiosity.. But it is one of the things I want to do when I get to Uni - read the Shakespeares and Chaucers of Jap Lit

I am actually devouring The Oxford Book of Short Stories - they are really easy reads and some are really creepy! I talked about one by Natsume Soseki - I think he also wrote Kokoro - in my personal statement since I loved it the best so far.

What are you thinking of sending them for your written work thing?

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys!

Just recieved an AAB offer from Manchester for Japanese Studies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anurules)
    Oh my! I applied to Hertford! We're competing for like 4 spaces I hope we get in!!

The Tale of Genji!?? But that is HARD - and LONG! I wouldn't dare to start that for fears of killing my literary curiosity.. But it is one of the things I want to do when I get to Uni - read the Shakespeares and Chaucers of Jap Lit

I am actually devouring The Oxford Book of Short Stories - they are really easy reads and some are really creepy! I talked about one by Natsume Soseki - I think he also wrote Kokoro - in my personal statement since I loved it the best so far.

What are you thinking of sending them for your written work thing?
    Yeah its not exactly light reading
    nevertheless if i can say something even remotely intelligent about it that should impress
    No idea about what to do for my essays but i think that they are only a brief topic of conversation in an interview.
    I also just got an offer from Manchester AAB
    So happy!!!
    They seem to be really organised this year, a friend of mine got his geography offer from them yesterday too

ReputationRep:
    I got the AAB offer from Manchester too

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.