The Student Room Group

Japanese Language/studies Applicants For 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by GuineaPrig
It feels so rewarding when you can understand little snippets here and there and as you get more vocabulary you're like '...oh so THAT'S what it means!'... great feeling.

This.

When you start kanji, you'll get a lot more feelings like that, since you'll see why certain words end up being the way they are (e.g. weekdays). Grab a copy of "Basic Kanji Book" at your local library and flip through it if you get a chance. It's nice.
Original post by avila
This.

When you start kanji, you'll get a lot more feelings like that, since you'll see why certain words end up being the way they are (e.g. weekdays). Grab a copy of "Basic Kanji Book" at your local library and flip through it if you get a chance. It's nice.

I want to get a kanji dictionary ASAP, I only know about 100 or so at the moment but it's funny looking back at how I was when I started learning - the characters looked like a jumble of randomness but now I can identify the different radicals (mostly simple ones though, kanji with a billion strokes are another matter). Even on kanji you don't know, if you see a radical you recognise sometimes you can guess what the word might be to do with.

East Asian languages are so riveting to learn. :biggrin: *Total nerd*
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 382
Waiting on Edinburgh still... sucks for them the most really, since I'm considering Sheffield and Manchester more now because they've given me offers and thus I've actually cared about visiting/the course/etc.

Anyone going to the Manchester open day on the 4th Feb? Hopefully they'll have a Japanese-specific talk...

I really can't decide between Manchester/Sheffield either :P Haven't visited either yet, but open days are booked (for some stupid reason I booked the Sheffield one in APRIL! Might visit sooner since I know the course/staff are good/friendly...)

Decisions decisions~
Ahh I'm so excited. I just wanna get started now! I know I'll not be saying this in a year's time, but I want to learn 25 kanji a week!! :biggrin: It feels so rewarding when you can understand little snippets here and there and as you get more vocabulary you're like '...oh so THAT'S what it means!'... great feeling.

Come on SOAS!! ARGH :tongue:

KL! im pretty excited too, i know (recognise) about 500 kanji (hopefully 650 by the end of A2) including their compounds :biggrin: so im eager to learn more! I love kanji it rocks! I love how you can logically guess how to make the sounds from previous knowledge! :biggrin:

Have u done any Japanese formally? Im hoping to get a Japanese electronic dictionary wen i go on my year abroad- i have an international japanese student at my skool, whose been teaching me how to use it-its so kool.
OMG but it helps me so much with translating english to japanese for my exam! Its so hard haha!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Shuu
Waiting on Edinburgh still... sucks for them the most really, since I'm considering Sheffield and Manchester more now because they've given me offers and thus I've actually cared about visiting/the course/etc.

Anyone going to the Manchester open day on the 4th Feb? Hopefully they'll have a Japanese-specific talk...

I really can't decide between Manchester/Sheffield either :P Haven't visited either yet, but open days are booked (for some stupid reason I booked the Sheffield one in APRIL! Might visit sooner since I know the course/staff are good/friendly...)

Decisions decisions~

forgot there was multi quote lol! :eek::colondollar:

In my opinion if u want a slightly more intense course with a slight emphasis on language go to sheffield, but manchester is still good but the course is slighty newer :biggrin:
Original post by Narutofan88
KL! im pretty excited too, i know (recognise) about 500 kanji (hopefully 650 by the end of A2) including their compounds :biggrin: so im eager to learn more! I love kanji it rocks! I love how you can logically guess how to make the sounds from previous knowledge! :biggrin:

Have u done any Japanese formally? Im hoping to get a Japanese electronic dictionary wen i go on my year abroad- i have an international japanese student at my skool, whose been teaching me how to use it-its so kool.
OMG but it helps me so much with translating english to japanese for my exam! Its so hard haha!

Well I took the IGCSE Japanese exam in November but that was from being self-taught... I sooo want to be taught by a proper tutor and have speaking classes etc., because I always felt like the way I was learning didn't have any method to it and was really sloppy, which gets on my nerves a hell of a lot as I like to have things organised. :tongue:

I've played around with a kanji dictionary on the DS but that's it really. The one thing I want when I go abroad is someone to go with so that I'm not completely alone in a foreign country. XD I think they put you into groups though anyway.
Reply 386
I sooo want to be taught by a proper tutor and have speaking classes etc., because I always felt like the way I was learning didn't have any method to it and was really sloppy, which gets on my nerves a hell of a lot as I like to have things organised. :tongue:

I'm taking Japanese at the moment. It's just a four-hour/week 20 credit beginner's course at the university-wide language programme; nothing serious. If anything, it thought me to make proper study habits and drastically improved my speaking/listening skills. An hour of revision each day and daily vocabulary reviews are the minimum I've found is necessary to keep up. I quickly realized that omitting that = death.

There's 16 people in my class. I'd say a fair portion is struggling, since they're not studying enough. :frown:

~~~~~
I hope this next part doesn't come across the wrong way.

@Everyone:

Out of curiosity, how many here have done a Japanese language course before? A proper one with a teacher, homework, tests, quizzes, and all that. Browsing through TSR and some other forums, I'm getting this feeling that many happen to have caught a bit of "yellow fever" and are in for a shock once they start Japanese at university. :V

I guess that's why they say ~60% drop out after first year Japanese at uni. :/
Original post by avila
I'm taking Japanese at the moment. It's just a four-hour/week 20 credit beginner's course at the university-wide language programme; nothing serious. If anything, it thought me to make proper study habits and drastically improved my speaking/listening skills. An hour of revision each day and daily vocabulary reviews are the minimum I've found is necessary to keep up. I quickly realized that omitting that = death.

There's 16 people in my class. I'd say a fair portion is struggling, since they're not studying enough. :frown:

~~~~~
I hope this next part doesn't come across the wrong way.

@Everyone:

Out of curiosity, how many here have done a Japanese language course before? A proper one with a teacher, homework, tests, quizzes, and all that. Browsing through TSR and some other forums, I'm getting this feeling that many happen to have caught a bit of "yellow fever" and are in for a shock once they start Japanese at university. :V

I totally understand your point. I think a lot of people go into it thinking 'oh this is gonna be so great, I can translate anime and manga' and it's not nearly enough motivation to devote 4 years of your life to. Although I've never had proper classes on it, Japanese and Japan have been a huge part of my life for the past 6-odd years and I know it's going to be tough, so I'll be going in expecting a hard time. I appreciate the hard work that language-learning requires, but I enjoy the entire process anyway and it feels like you're actually gaining a valuable skill as you progress. So I'm totally going to work my arse off! :biggrin:
Original post by avila

When I started the only shock I got was how well I managed to do, initially I thought it would be too hardcore since i felt I was not good at languages. Motivation is all thats required.
At Sheffield apparently on average 40-50 out of 60-65 make it to second year.
Reply 389
Original post by Im_a_cyborg

At Sheffield apparently on average 40-50 out of 60-65 make it to second year.

I am liking that ratio, glad I made sheff firm =D
Reply 390
Dammit, I got an email from Sheffield admissions and hoped it was an offer, but it was only a request for information to determine my fee status :frown:
Reply 391
Original post by Susant
Dammit, I got an email from Sheffield admissions and hoped it was an offer, but it was only a request for information to determine my fee status :frown:

I needn't have worried because just now:

"Dear -----
Congratulations; The University of Sheffield has asked us to tell you that it is offering you a place for Japanese and History, TV21; starting in September 2011 at point of entry 1."

(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Susant

"Dear -----
Congratulations; The University of Sheffield has asked us to tell you that it is offering you a place for Japanese and History, TV21; starting in September 2011 at point of entry 1."

Congrats, see, told you not to worry :wink:
I got my IGCSE results today, I got an A in Japanese :biggrin: yay! That means I can get into Manchester now. I'm so happy, I thought I did awful. I was only a couple marks off A* as well :confused: no idea how I managed it...
I'm still waiting on everywhere other than leeds and manchester D:

The only ones I'm really considering are Manchester and SOAS. If I get an offer from SOAS i'm not sure what I'll do!

Well done on the sheffield offers ^^

I haven't taken japanese before. I've actually made a conscious effort of avoid learning it over the past two years XD I did german for A level at school and had lived in the country for 4 years. I found learning it with a bit of prior knowledge horrible and I don't want to make the same mistake.
Reply 395
Original post by Im_a_cyborg
Congrats, see, told you not to worry :wink:

Thanks, now I can just do the exams and relax :cool:

(but not too much)
Reply 396
I just got an offer from SOAS! :biggrin:
Reply 397
Original post by Susant

"Dear -----

Two offers today

Unconditional Japanese and History at Sheffield

Conditional for Japanese and Philosophy at Leeds.
Reply 398
Do you guys have any suggestions or gap year ideas for a student planning to do Japanese at university?

Ideally I'm looking for a school in Japan, accommodation provided, where I can spend 3 or 4 months studying with other foreigners roughly my age (18). I've looked for these and somewhat failed :frown:

Thanks guys! :smile:
Sheffield or SOAS???

which one which one!!

Quick Reply

Latest