The Student Room Group

Japanese Language/studies Applicants For 2011

Scroll to see replies

well done to those with offers! Anyone whos planning on going to Sheffield I will see you next year! hopefully... if i get to my second year xD haha!.
Also, anyone who applied to Newcastle for Japanese, They didnt get back to me until i think it was march time. May not be the same for everyone though.
(edited 13 years ago)
My top choice uni is joint honours maths and Jap, so I can join this '2011' thread also :P
Reply 62
Hello prospective future friends!

I have applied to do Japanese or Japanese Studies at:

Manchester

Leeds

Sheffield

Edinburgh

SOAS

With predicted grades : A*AA (Philosophy, Sociology, Graphic Design);
and AS's in: Psychology (A) and Critical Thinking (B).

Recieved an offer today from Manchester (1st choice :smile:) conditional at AAB. Haven't heard from any others yet but I only sent it off a few days ago.

(Also I am deferring 'till 2012, spending my gap year in Japan! :smile:)

Thanks for the blog link btw, will be sure to check it out.

Just wondering, how much of the language do people know already? The course specifies that you don't need any prior knowledge but obviously some basic standards like the alphabets and kanji would be useful I am sure.
Original post by Shuu

Just wondering, how much of the language do people know already? The course specifies that you don't need any prior knowledge but obviously some basic standards like the alphabets and kanji would be useful I am sure.

On my course there are many who knew nothing (myself included) and many who have done A Level. Doesnt really matter, you just find people who have done it before make you sound totally rubbish during speaking classes haha! But they say at sheffield everyones at the same level by christmas.
Reply 64
Original post by Shuu
Hello prospective future friends!

I have applied to do Japanese or Japanese Studies at:

Manchester

Leeds

Sheffield

Edinburgh

SOAS

With predicted grades : A*AA (Philosophy, Sociology, Graphic Design);
and AS's in: Psychology (A) and Critical Thinking (B).

Recieved an offer today from Manchester (1st choice :smile:) conditional at AAB. Haven't heard from any others yet but I only sent it off a few days ago.

(Also I am deferring 'till 2012, spending my gap year in Japan! :smile:)

Thanks for the blog link btw, will be sure to check it out.

I am curious! With those grades, why didn't you apply to Oxford/Cambridge? Didn't you like their courses?

Oh and other than Manchester, I have all your 4 choices too! :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 65
I'm applying, but I am not so much holding my breath. =( Do not compare grades-wise.

In any case, here are my choices for Japanese (Studies):

Manchester
Sheffield
Leeds
Oxford Brookes x2 (for Japanese & Law)

I really want to get into Oxford Brookes (which luckily is closer to my grades~) because Japanese & Law is just beyond fantastic to see. A truly heavenly combination. Ha ha! But I would be, of course, more than happy with any other place that would offer to have me. Beggers cannae be choosers, as they say.

I haven't even sent my application off yet! Waiting for my referree. -_-

So far as learning any of the language beforehand, I am self-studying it but have recently joined weekly classes. I can read and understand much more than I can write and speak. =) But that's why I've joined the classes. To improve my speaking and vocabulary. Although, even though this is being phased out now, my class works with romaji - which I have a hard time reading. That's quite annoying. I prefer kana or kanji, it takes me longer to write in romaji somehow. Ha ha!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 66
Reporting in.

Sheffield
Edinburgh
Leeds
Manchester
SOAS

pleaseletitbesheffield pleaseletitbesheffield pleaseletitbesheffield...

Still waiting for my reference as well. :frown:
Hopefully I'll be able to send everything off this Friday.
Reply 67
Sheffield offer, thank you god
Reply 68
Original post by 092433

Congratulations! :biggrin:
Reply 69
Congrats. on all your offers 092433!! =D

Original post by avila
Still waiting for my reference as well. :frown:
Hopefully I'll be able to send everything off this Friday.

Sorry to hear, x. I hope your referrence comes in soon as well then. I'm getting more and more nervous as each day passes. Particularly when I hear about people like 092433 getting offers already!
Reply 70
Original post by Jazmine
Congrats. on all your offers 092433!! =D

Sorry to hear, x. I hope your referrence comes in soon as well then. I'm getting more and more nervous as each day passes. Particularly when I hear about people like 092433 getting offers already!

Original post by ussumane
Congratulations! :biggrin:

Thank youuuuu, i ran around screaming for like 10 minutes, in an empty house. :smile:
Reply 71
Original post by anurules
I am curious! With those grades, why didn't you apply to Oxford/Cambridge? Didn't you like their courses?

Oh and other than Manchester, I have all your 4 choices too! :smile:

I didn't have the time to apply to Oxford to do Oriental Studies; plus I visited before and I didn't really like the Atmosphere... too snobby and all the students looked like they hadn't slept in years. :/ I'm looking for a Uni with more of a friendly teenage atmosphere haha.

Original post by 092433

My offer from Sheffield came through yesterday, so far two offers :smile:! Well done too!!
I got an offer from Manchester, AAB :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :woo: Very happy as you can tell!!

Original post by 092433
Thank youuuuu, i ran around screaming for like 10 minutes, in an empty house. :smile:

I may have screamed as well :p:
Reply 73
Original post by Shuu
I didn't have the time to apply to Oxford to do Oriental Studies; plus I visited before and I didn't really like the Atmosphere... too snobby and all the students looked like they hadn't slept in years. :/ I'm looking for a Uni with more of a friendly teenage atmosphere haha.

My offer from Sheffield came through yesterday, so far two offers :smile:! Well done too!!

LOL! I went there for a summer school thing though it was for English - most people I met weren't snobby just err.. smarter?? :redface: A little intimidating but I loved the Oriental Studies department - it just sounded like a fun batch..

Oh and Sheffield offer for me too! Korean Studies and Jap for me though :smile: Congrats to us! :smile:
I got an offer from Manchester AAB :woo:
Reply 75
Just got Leeds ABB to add to Manchester!
I'm surprised so many people have two offers already, I just assumed the UCAS process would take much longer.
Well done everyone on their offers! :smile:
Reply 76
Original post by aaant
Just got Leeds ABB to add to Manchester!
I'm surprised so many people have two offers already, I just assumed the UCAS process would take much longer.

Congrats! Haven't heard from Leeds yet but I guess that means it isn't a rejection. Also I think Track is down today for maintainance...

Anyway I think they're dishing out the offers cause we sent them off so early. They want to know if we want the place or not ASAP so they can give other people offers. But I know what you mean, my school went on for ages about how it's impossible to get places these days and yet everyone here appears to be getting offers.
I thought that since Japanese is only done (as a full degree) at about 7 universities that there would be more competition, hmm!
Reply 77
got leeds offer yesterday, i feel incredibly lucky to have 4 offers now, especially my firm and insurance :smile:
Reply 78
Original post by Shuu
... my school went on for ages about how it's impossible to get places these days and yet everyone here appears to be getting offers.
I thought that since Japanese is only done (as a full degree) at about 7 universities that there would be more competition, hmm!

I heard some Unis. work on pretty much a first come, first serve basis. If that's true for these Universities, maybe that's why they are dishing out offers so 'easily'? -_- I am so annoyed I can't send mine off yet!! I just don't know what to do other than sit here and wait for my referree. It feels like years have passed, I hate anticipation. If I had it all sent off, I'd feel a lot less anxious.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by Jazmine
I heard some Unis. work on pretty much a first come, first serve basis. If that's true for these Universities, maybe that's why they are dishing out offers so 'easily'? -_- I am so annoyed I can't send mine off yet!! I just don't know what to do other than sit here and wait for my referree. It feels like years have passed, I hate anticipation. If I had it all sent off, I'd feel a lot less anxious.

I can't send mine neither, my frickin form tutor i too lazy to do my reference:mad:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending