The Student Room Group

Japanese Language/studies Applicants For 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Leeds rejected me (surprising, since my grades are okay and they're not exactly God-tier for Japanese in the rankings). They could've at least given me a reason. --;
Manchester wanted me to pay the international student fee due to the ELQ stuff, so I withdrew my application since I didn't really want to study there anyway.

Well, two down; three to go.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 101
I saw my referee today. He said he opened the e-mail to do it, but it was really confusing with "about twenty letters" inside of it or something? So he just left it. Felt guilty that I went to see him, so he's going to try and do it by Wednesday 'cause he's busy at the moment. I'm going to ask him how it's going on Wednesday afternoon. =P I hope it gets done! I wanted to send it off by October!! I feel so~ behind schedule.

Original post by avila
Leeds rejected me... They could've at least given me a reason. --;

You can always ask for feedback. They may not always give it, but it's worth a shot. =) I think most do let you know if asked, anyways?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by avila
Leeds rejected me (surprising, since my grades are okay and they're not exactly God-tier for Japanese in the rankings). They could've at least given me a reason. --;
Manchester wanted me to pay the international student fee due to the ELQ stuff, so I withdrew my application since I didn't really want to study there anyway.

Well, two down; three to go.

Aww bad luck ;_; Although I think Leeds looks quite good for Japanese, better than Manchester and on a par with Sheffield in my humble opinion :holmes:
Reply 103
Rejected from Leeds :'(
Reply 104
Original post by Jazmine
I'm going to ask him how it's going on Wednesday afternoon. =P I hope it gets done! I wanted to send it off by October!! I feel so~ behind schedule.

Yeah, keep bugging him (nicely). Good luck.

Original post by Jazmine
You can always ask for feedback. They may not always give it, but it's worth a shot. =) I think most do let you know if asked, anyways?

So I did. They responded to my E-Mail, asking me to call them. I did that just now. Reasons for my rejection include (I wrote these down while he mentioned them):

Uberpouplar subject with 200/300 applications for 20 places
(can't argue about that)

Grades have to be really good
(meh; I slipped on one GCSE, which is probably why I got rejected)

Personal statement should mention academic enthusiasm and include books read on the subject and/or exhibitions visited :eyebrow:
(I did mention that I learned kana and a lot of grammar through self-study, and that I fought with my department to take Japanese in final year which is normally impossible. There wasn't any space left to include a list of 10 books)

Oh well; no use sulking over it. I didn't want to study there anyway. Oh god, I hope Sheffield doesn't pull off anything like this. I'd die.

Original post by Bella Occhi
Aww bad luck ;_; Although I think Leeds looks quite good for Japanese, better than Manchester and on a par with Sheffield in my humble opinion :holmes:

We must be looking at different league tables. From what I know, from god-tier to ... you know, it's SOAS, Edinburgh, Sheffield, Leeds, Manchester, "the rest"

But league tables are a giant scam anyway.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 105
Rejection for linguistics and Japanese at Manchester

BUT!!!

Unconditional for Japanese studies at Manchester Uni...

not so much worrying now that I have a place somewhere :biggrin:
Original post by avila

Personal statement should mention academic enthusiasm and include books read on the subject and/or exhibitions visited :eyebrow:
(I did mention that I learned kana and a lot of grammar through self-study, and that I fought with my department to take Japanese in final year which is normally impossible. There wasn't any space left to include a list of 10 books)

I did say that I visited the Japan Exhibition at the British Museum (it's brilliant, you should visit) in my PS, so maybe that counted for something? :lolwut:

Original post by IBzombie

Unconditional for Japanese studies at Manchester Uni...

not so much worrying now that I have a place somewhere :biggrin:

Well done, that's great :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 107
Original post by avila

Indeed, those are pretty much all the reasons that one rejects someone. Very vague, in a way.

I hate that about personal statements.. that you can't write everything down! Ha ha. I just put that I've been sponsored to take Japanese classes at Bristol Uni. ('cause my employer saw how dedicated I was - studying in my lunch breaks, ha ha), a few books I read, hobbies of doing little translations for fun, studying JSL, etc. I dunno, I bet a lot of people say that kind of stuff.

My grades are not good either (not like your one-off GCSE, I mean.. all of mine are off), so I only have the fact that I'm a mature student going for me on that one and, well, the lack of the amount of spaces... s'why I think a strong personal statement probably rules 'cause too many people have the same grades and such nowadays.

I don't expect to get offered a place in any of the Unis I'm applying to, 'cept one - hopefully. Thought it was worth a shot in any case.
Reply 108
you guys are scaring me...

can any of you recommend me any books?
Reply 109
Original post by ussumane
you guys are scaring me...

can any of you recommend me any books?

Ha ha, what kind of books do you want? Just buy any of your interests. =) I personally wouldn't buy any for the sake of it though!

I have a book on Japanese culture, one on Japanese Law, a few Japanese-language learning books, etc.
Reply 110
Original post by Jazmine
Ha ha, what kind of books do you want? Just buy any of your interests. =) I personally wouldn't buy any for the sake of it though!

I have a book on Japanese culture, one on Japanese Law, a few Japanese-language learning books, etc.

Japanese culture. For Japanese - language learning, I am getting Minna Ninhongo, I heard is a very good book:biggrin:
Reply 111
Original post by ussumane
Japanese culture. For Japanese - language learning, I am getting Minna Ninhongo, I heard is a very good book:biggrin:

At the moment, I am reading Japan from the CultureShock! series. It gives a migrants view of the country, basically. It's quite interesting so far - not a heavy read or anything. (I have this one, there is also this one though).

I'm sure that, if you walk into a bookstore, you can find books on contemporary Japan or Japan's history, etc...
Reply 112
=O Sent off my application last night!! My referee gave his reference for me yesterday afternoon.

Well, good luck to me. I need it =)
Is anyone going on the Open Days to Manchester this month?
Offer from Sheffield yay :biggrin:
Reply 115
I got an offer from Manchester ages ago but haven't heard anything about the open day.. Maybe it's because I'm Irish and not in the uk
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 116
Original post by Im_a_cyborg
Wow, was that for Japanese studies alone? There are only 60 of us this year. :confused:

No, I believe that was for the whole of the East Asian Department. Tbh, he didn't really go into specific subject figures.
Reply 117
Acknowledgement from Sheffield.

*starts praying*
I applied for Japanese Studies and Japanese Studies / Computer Science at Oxford Brookes :3 Didn't get into Japanese Studies on it's own - but did get into Japanese Studies / Computer Science, so I will choose that course when I get to pick my options (Y) I applied last year but they said the course was full, because my application was late :frown: but at least i got in this year ^^ *is happy* ~ Oxford Brookes 2011 here I come. >w</
Reply 119
Congrats to everyone with offers already!

Also, if you haven't recieved an offer yet, I wouldn't get in a panic yet. I didn't recieve my last offer until the 26th March (SOAS), and my application was in well before October! Anyway, I have my fingers crossed for you all.

Quick Reply

Latest