Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    OK, so what are the following subjects like? (likes, dislikes etc)
    -French
    -Physics
    -Philosophy
    -History
    -Art

Please answer the ones you can
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lollylola)
    -French
    -Physics
    -Philosophy
    -History
    -Art

Thanks!
    Took history, it's horrible.
    3 weeks in, about 150 pages of textbook reading so far. 15 pages of notes.
    Got set an essay question already... History really is my FML subject :L

Well tbf, subject is really interesting but the workload/homework is loads... :'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iepnauy)

Well tbf, subject is really interesting but the workload/homework is loads... :'(
    Oh, I see...thanks for the warning!:o:

ReputationRep:
    History...hmm its interesting and i love it :yep: but note taking is :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iepnauy)

Good god that's ridiculous! What topic are you doing?

History is my true love at A level :p:

ReputationRep:
    Physics
    Physics is good but you really have to have a firm grasp of maths. Other than that as long as you know and understand the equations you'll be fine. It's a subject that starts tough then gets easier if you try hard and stick with it.

ReputationRep:
    I finished History this summer

A.
    -Really pushed my approach to provenance and where a text came from
    -Debating is fun
    -Starkey! (well only if you have a teacher obsessed by him)
    -I loved independently working from Parker books etc., especially the A2 year coursework
    -Learning a bit about a range of issues from politics to sociology to navigation

D.
    -Source questions kick you around for the first term, before you manage to handle them (but I didn't do GCSE History or Year 8/9)
    -You are restricted by the 'standard' interpretation of things
    -We stuck rigidly to one period, great if you love that period but not so much if you prefer a wider spectrum.

My personal opinions, these may not reflect the teaching at your college or the exam board you learn from. PM if you want a bit more info, I am off to bed soon. (I am so tired I am literally off to bed at half past eight, damn uni application).

ReputationRep:
    Physics is easy if you can do it.

ReputationRep:
    history blurghh... How much work do they want to give me seriously! but yeah it is interesting i think you should take it.

et j'adore le Francais !

ReputationRep:
    -French
    -Physics
    -Philosophy
    -History
    -Art

Thanks!
    History is the best subject ever. Take it. You will love it; I certainly do!

I don't take Art, but I've heard it's the biggest waste of time ever. I wouldn't recommend it.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    -French
    -Physics
    -Philosophy

-History
    -Art

Thanks!
    Create a POLLLL!

ReputationRep:
    History - Cracking subject, but requires a lot of work if you want to do really well

Physics - Can be conceptually tough, but if you're quite an efficient problem solver and handy with maths, then you should find it quite fun

ReputationRep:
    -French
    -Physics
    -Philosophy
    -History
    -Art

Thanks!

I took

History - always felt that I was a little bit behind but the AS exam is blaggable - i came out not knowing what I'd just written but got a good grade! Plus it is the subject I am finding most interesting, I really love learning about all of the content, there are hardly any boring bits!

Art - I took Graphics, but I'm sure it's similar with the other Arts. You get a lot of time to do little, and as long as you produce a average amount of decent work you'll do fine! Plus its a welcome break from other, harder subjects.

Philosophy - Very interesting and mind-boggling, especially if you have good teachers. It is frustrating though - there is never a clear answer to any question, and it is 100% exam based - you have no coursework to fall back on, it's purely on 2 days of examination. Stress. Hardest Subject that I took, but still enjoyable! My teachers were ammmaaaaazing though!

ReputationRep:
    Love Physics, but you really need to do maths with it

-French
    -Physics
    -Philosophy
    -History
    -Art

Thanks!
    Can I ask why Physics? I know it doesn't really matter but it just doesn't seem to fit with the others?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmanuel321)
    Can I ask why Physics? I know it doesn't really matter but it just doesn't seem to fit with the others?
    Oh, that's 'cause I don't know whether I should take it with my other options atm...heard it's hard so I just bunged it in with the rest of my "Hmmm" subjects...I'm kinda in/out about those, you see....:o:

ReputationRep:
    Well, I've only just started A levels (about a month ago) and I took History and French (English Lit, German). I've heard that Art is horribly time consuming and that it will be the one that you cry over...and the person that said that was really talented at it.

So far French is okay, same old drill. Just basically recapping top grade GCSE stuff, working from the textbook. Some people in my class feel a little thrown in at the deep end, but a bit of hard work will solve that. It's a completely parallel course to German, and since that's not one of my first languages, I'd be more use describing that. It's hard trying to get stuck into the A level exercises when you've only got GCSE language. But it'll get better.

I love History so far! Russia is most interesting, I think that's the most popular generally, but I also like the Britain stuff. It gives you a chance to think, unlike last year where it was just about memorising a few facts. The notetaking and recapping is definately also time consuming but it's not Real Hard Work. It's just copying out stuff, not too challenging! I wanted to do Ancient, but my sixth form didn't offer it.

Anyway, most of your subjects are in the A-list so you should be all right.

ReputationRep:
    Only take physics if your also taking maths. Otherwise you make it hard for yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoMC)
    Only take physics if your also taking maths. Otherwise you make it hard for yourself
    This is very true; Maths Physics and philosophy is an excellent combination anyway.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.