Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lollylola)
    Ha ha! No, I'm doing it for GCSE and I'm having this so....no A-level Art, defo...
    Thanks for the warning and good luck! I'm sure you'll pull through just fine!
    Ye, I dropped art after 1 week. I love art and everything but the workload had already started piling up by the 3rd lesson and considering I was taking it as my "fun subject", I just decided it wasn't worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellowmeringue)
    History is the best subject ever. Take it. You will love it; I certainly do!

I don't take Art, but I've heard it's the biggest waste of time ever. I wouldn't recommend it.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I do history and philosophy and ethics which is a bit like philosophy i guess

At the moment these are both my favourite subjects. Philosophy and ethics is sooo interesting and its fun because its discussion based. so yeah i think thats my favourite. history is really interesting too, and i haven't found the workload too bad. already done a couple of essays for history and although they were a bit of effort, i wouldn't say they were hard. I really recommend both and think you will enjoy both from what i've heard from friends, physics is really interesting but a bit hard, french is a big step up from gcse and art i guess has a massive workload. Hope i helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moleman3)
    Hi I do history and philosophy and ethics which is a bit like philosophy i guess

At the moment these are both my favourite subjects. Philosophy and ethics is sooo interesting and its fun because its discussion based. so yeah i think thats my favourite. history is really interesting too, and i haven't found the workload too bad. already done a couple of essays for history and although they were a bit of effort, i wouldn't say they were hard. I really recommend both and think you will enjoy both from what i've heard from friends, physics is really interesting but a bit hard, french is a big step up from gcse and art i guess has a massive workload. Hope i helped
    Thank yoooo!
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lollylola)
    OK, so what are the following subjects like? (likes, dislikes etc)
    -French
    -Physics
    -Philosophy
    -History
    -Art

Please answer the ones you can
    Thanks!
    Took it in AS-level. Big mistake. It was a massive drain of my time and energy. For the months leading upto the final deadline, art was literally on my mind 24/7. I think the problem I had was that I'm a perfectionist. I probably spent more time thinking about what I was going to do than actually physically doing the work!

Workload was huge. Obviously the quality of your work matters, but in many ways, while I was doing the subject, I felt the subject was more about quantity than quality. I could create the most stunning artwork for my final piece, but still end up with a low grade just because I haven't 'ticked all the boxes' for the amount of work I need in my book.

However, I'm not trying to put you off doing art. There are pros to taking it as an A-level. I mean, for all that I have gone through, I have to say that the satisfaction of pulling off a brilliant piece of work is immense, and this feeling is added by the fact that the work is your unique creation. As a subject, you would be given freedom that is not compareable with any other A-levels (although this also depends on your art teacher). Above all, I think you must be an organised, motivated and decisive individual to do well without experiencing relentless pressure. If you are going to take it, the key thing is to stay on top of the workload and your life would be alot easier.

ReputationRep:
    History is amazing at as and I would definitely recommend it even though the amount of note taking is quite annoying.

I also really enjoy French and with 4 people in my class its fun to be able to have frenchish coversations and debates about musique etc unlike the what do you have in your pencil case type GCSE stuff .
    So yeh I'm really glad I chose both of these . Good luck with what you chose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iepnauy)
    Erm American Civil Rights (But teacher insists we know american history inside and out). Because she's canadian/american

And Politics in Britain (Rise of Labour)

I'm with OCR
    what, New Labour?

If thats right, I wish I could do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love recent history

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.H.T)
    what, New Labour?

If thats right, I wish I could do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love recent history
    Yup New labour .

I don't love recent history but I love politics so it's all good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iepnauy)
    Yup New labour .

I don't love recent history but I love politics so it's all good
    Do you get a choice in what topics to study?

I'm sure for all exam boards, there are a choice of topics to study and teachers usually decide this. I'm with Edexcel, but google doesn't seem to find out the topics they offer...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.H.T)
    Do you get a choice in what topics to study?

I'm sure for all exam boards, there are a choice of topics to study and teachers usually decide this. I'm with Edexcel, but google doesn't seem to find out the topics they offer...
    Nope, we just do what the teacher makes us do :o:. That's what you get for going to a local 6th form :yep:

I still enjoy it though :yep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.