Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey there. i wonderd if anyone could help me and confirm for me that it is a legal requirent for a liscened premises to give free tap water. if anyone has or knows where it says on the liscening act or anywhere else it says as conformation for me when i go to this liscened premises that doesnt serve tap water.

cheers stu

ReputationRep:
    are you saying there is a place that refuses to give you free tap water?
    I've never had a problem. Sorry can't help but im pretty sure they have no right to charge you for it.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...atereverywhere

No legal obligation to provide free water by restaurants...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...atereverywhere

No legal obligation to provide free water by restaurants...

Not until October, when the latest version of the Act comes into being, which states tap water must be served for free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunny_veggies)
    are you saying there is a place that refuses to give you free tap water?
    I've never had a problem. Sorry can't help but im pretty sure they have no right to charge you for it.
    yes they refuse to serve a glass of tap water and sell there bottled water at £3. at a meal especially an all you can eat meal which is what this place offers i dont like drinking fizzy drinks or alcohol and refuse to pay £3 for bottled water

ReputationRep:
    That Is Stupid :|
    Its just water already,

ReputationRep:
    Yo Sushi charge £1 per (quarter pint) glass of tapwater... Rip off. Never going there again. [Oh, and they don't tell you it costs money until they add up the bill, is it just me that assumes that water from a tap would be free?]

ReputationRep:
    i heard this.

but then i'm also sure i've heard of places that have made people pay for it. (i.e. starbucks)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tefhel)
    Yo Sushi charge £1 per (quarter pint) glass of tapwater... Rip off. Never going there again.
    its stupid they should not charge for tap water. its the same water that comes out the taps in the bathroom probably

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cruciancarp1)
    yes they refuse to serve a glass of tap water and sell there bottled water at £3. at a meal especially an all you can eat meal which is what this place offers i dont like drinking fizzy drinks or alcohol and refuse to pay £3 for bottled water
    I woulda sed give me some tap water or i ent paying the bill

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was free...

Thing is, you would have to specifically ask for tap water, or else they'll cunningly get you bottled water, and personally I'd find that embarrassing.

ReputationRep:
    its stupid they should not charge for tap water. its the same water that comes out the taps in the bathroom probably
    Just wait til the end of the month then.

ReputationRep:
    My understanding was that if they have a bar then they must serve you tap water. Everywhere I have been to does, except for one chinese all you can eat.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it was lukewarm too. I get maybe charging £1 for a big jug of it (although even that would be cheap IMO) but £1 per miniscule glass? It's like 10x the cost of Evian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dnator)
    My understanding was that if they have a bar then they must serve you tap water. Everywhere I have been to does, except for one chinese all you can eat.
    AFAIK pubs and bars have to provide tap water for free, or something along those lines. Hylean seems more clued up on this subject :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    A restaurant is a business, the owner[strike] will have to pay the bill. The water isn't free, to you maybe it is, however to the owner[strike] they are legally obligated to pay the water bill. A simple answer is no.

ReputationRep:
    There is no legal obligation to serve free tap water, but if I were charged more than a nominal amount I'd certainly think twice about going back.

ReputationRep:
    Right. Currently there is is no law about providing tap water. As such, many places charge for it and they are within their right.

However, the government, in a bid to crack down on binge drinking, has changed the Licensing Act, but the new provisions don't become part of the Act until the October. These include:

Tap water must be given to anyone who asks, without charge.
    All forms of alcohol must have a small measure: 25ml for spirits, 125ml for wine and half pints for beers, ciders and ales.
    No irreponsible drinking games such as Dentist's Chair or any pouring of alcohol directly into the mouth.
    No "all you can drink" offers, such as "Women drink free" nights or "Pay a tenner and drink all you want".
    Some form of age verification system such as Check 21/25, etc.

ReputationRep:
    there is a cost in a glass of water... water costs as well as service of the water, costs for cleaning the cup once used.. why would you want tap water, it tastes like crap

ReputationRep:
    I'd never go back to a restaurant that charged for tap water. Not because I'm tight, but because it's such an easy thing to provide (and I'll always get a jug of tap water for the table along with the rest of the drinks order) that they've got to be really up themselves to charge for it and I object to that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.