Turn on thread page Beta

free tap water at a restaurant watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fidel69)
    there is a cost in a glass of water... water costs as well as service of the water, costs for cleaning the cup once used.. why would you want tap water, it tastes like crap
    I love tap water. Bottled water has a bitterness to it. I think it must be all the chalk in the tap water down south, gives it a nice texture

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    Right. Currently there is is no law about providing tap water. As such, many places charge for it and they are within their right.

However, the government, in a bid to crack down on binge drinking, has changed the Licensing Act, but the new provisions don't become part of the Act until the October. These include:

Tap water must be given to anyone who asks, without charge.
    All forms of alcohol must have a small measure: 25ml for spirits, 125ml for wine and half pints for beers, ciders and ales.
    No irreponsible drinking games such as Dentist's Chair or any pouring of alcohol directly into the mouth.
    No "all you can drink" offers, such as "Women drink free" nights or "Pay a tenner and drink all you want".
    Some form of age verification system such as Check 21/25, etc.
    Where does this apply? Everywhere? Only in places with an alcohol licence? Anywhere that serves food?

Have you got a link please? I can't find anything on google about the changes

e: just so I can read more about it - I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm sure you're right, I just want to read a bit more about it. Thanks! (will this just amend the licensing act 2003?)

ReputationRep:
    I heard somewhere that they are not required to give you free tap water as there is a level of service involved.

ReputationRep:
    The owner of my work said we had to start changing 50 p for a glass of tap water cos of the water metre or something. even the staff had to pay. i asked the manager though and she said we're not allowed to charge and had a word with her, i think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by booksnob)
    I love tap water. Bottled water has a bitterness to it. I think it must be all the chalk in the tap water down south, gives it a nice texture
    chalk? seriously? whereabouts are you from?
    Where I live the tap water is meant to be on par with bottled water, but i say tap water tastes bitter... Only drink it after its been brita filtered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    Where does this apply? Everywhere? Only in places with an alcohol licence? Anywhere that serves food?

Have you got a link please? I can't find anything on google about the changes

e: just so I can read more about it - I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm sure you're right, I just want to read a bit more about it. Thanks! (will this just amend the licensing act 2003?)
    Yea, it's just an amendment to the Act and it only applies to anywhere with on-trade premises, so hotels, bars, clubs, etc. but not off-licences.

Source.

ReputationRep:
    You're going to a restaurant, expect to pay for drinks. If they won't serve tap water free, fine, fair enough, just pay for the bottle...

ReputationRep:
    Yea, it's just an amendment to the Act and it only applies to anywhere with on-trade premises, so hotels, bars, clubs, etc. but not off-licences.

Source.
    Thank you Very interesting!

To be honest I thought already that anywhere that serves alcohol for on-premises consumption had to provide free tap water, but I guess not! I'll rep you in the morning

ReputationRep:
    lol @ me and friends going to a pizza hut, ordering a margarita (cheapest) to share and 2 tap waters...
    and OP, i don't know if it's a legal requirement, but someone once told me it's the law to give anyone water if they ask. like even if they turned up at ur house. dunno if this is bull though.
    if a restaurant denied me water i would walk out! i'm so thirsty all the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cruciancarp1)
    hey there. i wonderd if anyone could help me and confirm for me that it is a legal requirent for a liscened premises to give free tap water. if anyone has or knows where it says on the liscening act or anywhere else it says as conformation for me when i go to this liscened premises that doesnt serve tap water.

cheers stu
    If that was true everyone would get tap water in restaurants lol or not.

Restaurants don't get their tap water for free? They still have to pay for their water bill and can therefore charge you for using their tap water! Someone needs to clean the glass that you drink for, (s)he doesn't work for free. I know it may sound ridiculous but if they would give tap water for free to everyone instead of their bottled money they would loose out on a lot.

Some bars won't charge you anything others do..

ReputationRep:

Source.
    Thanks for the info this was really interesting.

I was talking with friends and we have come to a terrifying conclusion... they will no longer be able to do guiness hats on st. patricks day!!!!!!!!!!!

Also it bugs me how they go on about ID and explicitly mention PASS yet people still don't pay attention.

(Original post by cruciancarp1)
    hey there. i wonderd if anyone could help me and confirm for me that it is a legal requirent for a liscened premises to give free tap water. if anyone has or knows where it says on the liscening act or anywhere else it says as conformation for me when i go to this liscened premises that doesnt serve tap water.

cheers stu
    I thought I'd read somewhere that liquor licences - those which are granted for the sale of alcohol to be consumed on the premises - include the condition that free water must be available upon request. I'll happily bow to a law student's opinion however.

ReputationRep:
    They already have to supply you with free tap water as of April this year. From October, they also have to make sure you can order small measures when it comes to alcohol and have an age-verification policy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    I was talking with friends and we have come to a terrifying conclusion... they will no longer be able to do guiness hats on st. patricks day!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yup sucks that we live in such a nanny state always enjoyed trying to get the hats!!

Op just pay for the bottled TBH ive seen taps behind bars and wouldnt like to drink anything that has come out of them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dnator)
    My understanding was that if they have a bar then they must serve you tap water. Everywhere I have been to does, except for one chinese all you can eat.
    Don't tell me! Is it Gourmet Buffet?!?

ReputationRep:
    There is a way around this.

You have the right, as a consumer, to dispute the bill amount if you feel that the meal was not worth the listed price. Therefore, it is possible to argue that charging for tap water is unacceptable

ReputationRep:
    Probs a load of crap but someone once told me that restaurants are charging you for the use of their glass/cup/whatever and thats why it doesnt have to be free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marinuska)
    They already have to supply you with free tap water as of April this year. From October, they also have to make sure you can order small measures when it comes to alcohol and have an age-verification policy.
    have you got any proof of this anywhere

ReputationRep:
    this place doesnt even sell the tap water. it will only sell its bottled water. i can understand everyone business needs to make a profit but what harm would it do to provide a table with a jug of water. if its the water bill they moan about then im suprised they dont charge for flushin the toilet

ReputationRep:
    Cheap *******s!!!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.