The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You can ask for tap water, no legal obligation
fidel69
there is a cost in a glass of water... water costs as well as service of the water, costs for cleaning the cup once used.. why would you want tap water, it tastes like crap

Depends where you are in the UK, some tastes like mineral water, some tastes not so good. but, tbh you just get used to what you get anyway! :smile:
Reply 42
Tefhel
Yo Sushi charge £1 per (quarter pint) glass of tapwater... Rip off. Never going there again. [Oh, and they don't tell you it costs money until they add up the bill, is it just me that assumes that water from a tap would be free?]

The tap water is limitless for £1, not per quarter pint. Have as much as you like.

I tend to go for tap water as it's cheaper and it seems silly paying for bottled water when sometimes you can't even tell the difference. I have been charged for it before though which according to my dad is perfectly reasonable as they get charged for the water, have to wash up the glass, and often put a lemon and ice in there too.

Free tap water all the way, though :smile:
Reply 43
No place, even under the new act, is required to offer tap water, though soon they cannot nominally charge for it. Tap water isn't free, why should you get a free glass?
Dnator
My understanding was that if they have a bar then they must serve you tap water. Everywhere I have been to does, except for one chinese all you can eat.

The one in Chinatown near Leicester Square? :s-smilie:
Reply 45
kat2pult
The tap water is limitless for £1, not per quarter pint. Have as much as you like.

I tend to go for tap water as it's cheaper and it seems silly paying for bottled water when sometimes you can't even tell the difference. I have been charged for it before though which according to my dad is perfectly reasonable as they get charged for the water, have to wash up the glass, and often put a lemon and ice in there too.

Free tap water all the way, though :smile:

We were told it was £1 a glass and were charged accordingly.
Reply 46
Tefhel
We were told it was £1 a glass and were charged accordingly.

Yes, as in if you and your friend have a glass each it will be £2 but you can fill them up as much as you like. If this wasn't the case they wouldn't give you the freedom of using the taps yourself :wink:
Reply 47
kat2pult
Yes, as in if you and your friend have a glass each it will be £2 but you can fill them up as much as you like. If this wasn't the case they wouldn't give you the freedom of using the taps yourself :wink:

No. We were each questioned "How many glasses of water did you have?" we said "Why?" and they said "It costs £1 a glass". Maybe the waitress or that specific restaurant is different, but it was £1 a glass.
(edited 13 years ago)
They dont have to give it to you. Its not a legal requirement.
Reply 49
Tefhel
No. We were each questioned "How many glasses of water did you have?" we said "Why?" and they said "It costs £1 a glass". Maybe the waitress or that specific restaurant is different, but it was £1 a glass.

Hmm, odd. I've been to Yo Sushi more times than I care to remember and I've never been charged more than £1. Sounds like you've got unlucky :frown:
Reply 50
whats this law they have passed in april 2010, does anyone have any legal evidence of this. i have only found website's sayin they have passed this law but not the law itself. apparenlty some woman was refused water after this date and the restaurant was threatened with a £20,000 fine
Reply 51
issih
lol @ me and friends going to a pizza hut, ordering a margarita (cheapest) to share and 2 tap waters...
and OP, i don't know if it's a legal requirement, but someone once told me it's the law to give anyone water if they ask. like even if they turned up at ur house. dunno if this is bull though.
if a restaurant denied me water i would walk out! i'm so thirsty all the time.

Yeah thats utter crap.
Reply 52
kat2pult
Hmm, odd. I've been to Yo Sushi more times than I care to remember and I've never been charged more than £1. Sounds like you've got unlucky :frown:

I know. Never going back there. Insanely expensive for not great food too. Some of my friends ended up spending £17, and they didn't even eat a lot.
Reply 53
Tefhel
I know. Never going back there. Insanely expensive for not great food too. Some of my friends ended up spending £17, and they didn't even eat a lot.

FYI, they do 25% student discount and often have 30-40% off. Tis expensive but a nice treat once in a while. Especially if someone else is paying haha.
Reply 54
hoolymay
i heard this.

but then i'm also sure i've heard of places that have made people pay for it. (i.e. starbucks)

starbucks have never charged me for water :s-smilie: thankfully, haha.
OP, i've never had that problem but i don't think its a legal obligation.
they can just refuse or say they only sell bottled water.
x
Reply 55
rainbowbex
Depends where you are in the UK, some tastes like mineral water, some tastes not so good. but, tbh you just get used to what you get anyway! :smile:

the water in my area is meant to taste like mineral water, but for some reason it still tastes odd. I think its the fact i know it travels through pipes etc to get to the tap so it puts me off.. tbh i don't drink much water at all anyway
Reply 56
Tefhel
Yo Sushi charge £1 per (quarter pint) glass of tapwater... Rip off. Never going there again. [Oh, and they don't tell you it costs money until they add up the bill, is it just me that assumes that water from a tap would be free?]

Just tell them it's coming out of their tip... :smile:
Reply 57
kat2pult
FYI, they do 25% student discount and often have 30-40% off. Tis expensive but a nice treat once in a while. Especially if someone else is paying haha.

I know. I got the student discount, but they didn't lol. I still felt ripped off though - measly, tiny, overpriced portions of bad sushi (I've had the real kind before) with rip off drinks (even more so than other restaurants - £1 per small glass of warm tap water ffs). Not to mention they didn't have half of the stuff in the menu "Can I have this please?" "Oh we're out" "How about this?" "Oh we're not allowed to serve that here" "OK then... this?" "Sorry, we're not doing those today" "Fine then, you can shove your teriyaki up your arse!!"

L i b
Just tell them it's coming out of their tip... :smile:

You bet, I didn't tip them a penny.
(edited 13 years ago)
Tefhel

I had a problem in Yo Sushi once, I went on a Blue Monday and ordered something that apparently came on a pink plate instead of a blue one? I said to the guy I thought everything was blue, as that is what the waiter told me, and he didn't charge me for that dish because it had been mis-sold.

If they didn't tell you about the water then surely that was mis-sold too?

But yeah, total rip off. Especially considering their green tea is £1.50 for as much as you can drink. I think the water is the same actually, but they totally don't like it if you share your glass with someone else at the table!

When I was on holiday in New York every place we went into they served you with a glass of tap water before they even gave you your menu. It was amazing. And they topped it up whenever you were about half way down. Here you have to ask for 'tap water', and then they give you a stupid small glass and you have to ask every time you want more. URGH.
in 'merica, you're not allowed to charge for water. Unless it's bottled, of course.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending