Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've recently started a degree at uni but I've decided to apply for medicine again this year since it's what I really want to do. I've emailed several unis and some of them do consider students in my situation so I definitely want to give it a try. However I'm unsure of what to do with my personal statement. Does UCAS let the med school know that I'm in the first year of uni or do I tell them in my personal statement? No one in my school has done this before so I'm hoping someone here knows what to :confused: thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the exact thing, my referees will tell the admissions tutors, but i'm still not sure if I have to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fabregassed)
    I'm doing the exact thing, my referees will tell the admissions tutors, but i'm still not sure if I have to.
    Thanks for the reply. How will your referee tell the university? Is there a space on UCAS or are they putting it in your reference?

ReputationRep:
    Also, do you know if I could "recycle" parts of my old personal statement or would that be considered plagerism?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by uhm&ahh)
    Also, do you know if I could "recycle" parts of my old personal statement or would that be considered plagerism?
    No, that's fine. You are allowed to recycle your own statement.

ReputationRep:
    Not in throw a spanner into the works.. Assuming your successful with this new application to med.. How will you be funded?

Will the Gov. see it as you transferring unis ? Or (hopefully not) see it as your second degree ?

Just curiouss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Futurdoc)
    Not in throw a spanner into the works.. Assuming your successful with this new application to med.. How will you be funded?

Will the Gov. see it as you transferring unis ? Or (hopefully not) see it as your second degree ?

Just curiouss
    I'm an EU student so I'm not funded by the British government. But I think, for me, it doesn't matter if they see it as a transfer or a whole new degree cause I only get funding for 5 years in total. If I get into med I'll probably have to pay the last 1-2 years myself (which is also why I want to apply now instead of finishing my degree first).

ReputationRep:
    I'm an EU student so I'm not funded by the British government. But I think, for me, it doesn't matter if they see it as a transfer or a whole new degree cause I only get funding for 5 years in total. If I get into med I'll probably have to pay the last 1-2 years myself (which is also why I want to apply now instead of finishing my degree first).
    Ahh, I see.

Does your home country require you to work there for a number of years as they have funded you - as a form of duty?

Sorry for the off topic questions, I'm merely curious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Futurdoc)
    Ahh, I see.

Does your home country require you to work there for a number of years as they have funded you - as a form of duty?

Sorry for the off topic questions, I'm merely curious.
    Nope. But they make us start re-paying the loan when we're finished studying, regardless of whether we have a job or not

Does the British government require that?

ReputationRep:
    Nope. But they make us start re-paying the loan when we're finished studying, regardless of whether we have a job or not

Does the British government require that?
    They want the money back when one enters employment and earns 15K PA. I think they take 9 pence out of every pound you earn - but don't quote me on that lol.

I think if you turn 40 and never had a job which pays that much, they write off the debt.

Overall, the student loan system over here is pretty decent in terms of interest and when to repay.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.