Turn on thread page Beta

Do you want to make the world a better place? watch

• View Poll Results: Make the world a better place?
    I want to make things better for everyone
    80.00%
    I am only interested in helping myself
    10.91%
    I haven't thought about it
    9.09%

ReputationRep:
    yo! i make the world a better place with my music! (Y) DD

For the world to be a better place, the people in it must be 'better'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RK)
    I like to think that goodness is something we all have/can show if only we can overcome our own personal greed and selfishness and stop thinking only of ourselves and our own needs.

Like trying to live a sin free life, showing the goodness might not be easy, nor might it actually be fully possible. But I think a first step in doing good for others and putting others first is actually to admin that you want to do i,t whether or not you actually end up fully achive it or not.
    Isn't this self damaging? Aren't humans engineered for survival? if so then wouldn't it be rational for me to be self interested and only help others if it benefits me in some way? I personally don't believe humans are capable of altruistic behaviour :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    It's probably my dream tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tefhel)
    I just want to make things better for myself to be honest. If I become a billionaire or discover the cure for aids/cancer, then yes I would share it. Otherwise...
    Don't worry, I gave that £1 to the Pakistan Floods Appeal from your side, as promised.

ReputationRep:
    let people get on the bus before me, step out of their way and let them pass on the street, let the car drive by instead of stopping for me

granted I'm no gandhi, but I do little things a few times per day and it helps

ReputationRep:
    I do I only hope I can.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Threepigs)
    Isn't this self damaging? Aren't humans engineered for survival? if so then wouldn't it be rational for me to be self interested and only help others if it benefits me in some way? I personally don't believe humans are capable of altruistic behaviour :rolleyes:
    I wouldn't say it is. Being able to put others first also does mean that you yourself are OK. So that does include taking care of yourself. But I think helping others means not to focus on yourself, so that beyond our own basic needs you put the needs of others first. So you are not focuses on just getting more and more money for your self or more and more posessions for yourself, but rather you have the basics of what you need and so your time and efforts are put towards helping others beyond that.

It's not good not even ensuring you have what you need to survive on as then neither your time nor your money can be used to help others, as you have none.

Does that make more sense?

I guess there's also an aspect of what it means to 'survive'. Some might take it to mean the survival of yourself and your offspring, in which case you'd do all you can to help yourself. Others might take it to mean the survival of all humans rather than an individual so that people work towards the well being survival of all people, not just those closest to them. Maybe the first meaning is what the natural instinct is for all species, but maybe humans have the ability to implement the second meaning if they so chose and that is a meansure of how much we we focus on others rather than ourselves. That we have the option to consider the well being and survival of all humans as important, rather than the well being of just ourselves and immediate family.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    Don't worry, I gave that £1 to the Pakistan Floods Appeal from your side, as promised.
    Thanks babes.

ReputationRep:
    Humans are severly messed up creatures.

Tbh the only way the earth can be at peace is that we werent on it

Anyways when humans eventually move out and leave in space the earth will be runied by the scars that humans have left behind during the years we have existed.

ReputationRep:
    Sadly i'm a self interest guy. That doesn't mean though that you shouldn't help others and not care.

The lady your nice to in the cafe might be the same one your trying to sell a car to the next day so theres self interest in odviously looking out for others.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.