Turn on thread page Beta

The new Labour Shadow Cabinet - who will be in it? watch

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    The deadline for Labour MPs to put themselves forwards for a position in the Shadow Cabinet closed today. Over the next few days Labour MPs will be voting to decide who makes it in.

After that Ed Miliband will decide which person elected to it gets which job.

So who will get in? Who will get each job? Who would you like to see in there?

Here is a list of people who want to be a part of it. There are about 49 names for 19 places, so around 30 will miss out.

Diane Abbott

Douglas Alexander

Ed Balls

Hilary Benn

Roberta Blackman-Woods

Ben Bradshaw

Kevin Brennan

Chris Bryant

Andy Burnham

Liam Byrne

Vernon Coaker

Yvette Cooper

Mary Creagh

Wayne David

John Denham

Angela Eagle

Maria Eagle

Rob Flello

Caroline Flint

Mike Gapes

Barry Gardiner

Helen Goodman

Peter Hain

David Hanson

Tom Harris

John Healey

Meg Hillier

Huw Irranca-Davies

Kevan Jones

Alan Johnson

Tessa Jowell

Eric Joyce

Barbara Keeley

Sadiq Khan

David Lammy

Chris Leslie

Ivan Lewis

Ian Lucas

Fiona Mactaggart

Pat McFadden

Ann McKechin

Alun Michael

Jim Murphy

Gareth Thomas

Emily Thornberry

Stephen Timms

Stephen Twigg

Shaun Woodward

Iain Wright

ReputationRep:
    Too many undeserving women because of this silly positive discrimination crap

Chancellor- Cooper
    Foreign- Burnham
    Home- Johnson

Sorry Ballsy, you'll have to stay in Schools :console:
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    I have to say, there are a number of people on the list I am not familiar with.

However, I'd like to see the following in the cabinet (in alphabetical order)

Diane Abbott

Douglas Alexander

Ed Balls

Hilary Benn

Ben Bradshaw

Andy Burnham

Liam Byrne

Yvette Cooper

Mary Creagh

Caroline Flint

Tessa Jowell

I'd like to see Yvette Cooper as Shadow Chancellor, Ed Balls as Shadow Home Secretary, Andy Burham to stay at Health. Beyond that I'm not sure what positions people should have yet.

ReputationRep:
    Mark my words!!!! SADIQ KHAN will have a very high role in this shadow cabinet after masterminding Ed Milibands campaing. Possibly Shadow Home Sec

ReputationRep:
    Shadow Chancellor - Ed Balls
    Foreign Sec' - Ben Bradshaw
    Home Sec' - Yvette Cooper
    Justice - Peter Hain
    Business - Caroline Flint
    Health - Andy Burnham

Others; Jowell, Hilary Benn, Douglas Alexander, Sadiq Khan and Liam Byrne.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    Shadow Chancellor - Ed Balls
    Foreign Sec' - Ben Bradshaw
    Home Sec' - Yvette Cooper
    Justice - Peter Hain
    Business - Caroline Flint
    Health - Andy Burnham

Others; Jowell, Hilary Benn, Douglas Alexander, Sadiq Khan and Liam Byrne.
    I don't think Ed Balls will be shadow Chancellor, Teveth...

Miliband made it clear that he agrees with deficit redcution, and Ed Balls on countless occasions has made it clear he did not agree with the reduction strategy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RK)
    I'd like to see Yvette Cooper as Shadow Chancellor, Ed Balls as Shadow Home Secretary, Andy Burham to stay at Health. Beyond that I'm not sure what positions people should have yet.
    Shadow Foreign is the interesting one for me. Ed seemed the most likely candidate if David won, but with how things worked out that didn't happen. Burnham seems the most likely imo, but there's no outstanding candidate.

I'm not sure how Ed wants to play it. He's quite inexperienced, never really held a top job in the cabinet, so he might want some experienced figures around him. On the other hand he might want a completely fresh start, with the old guard gone. Brown, Darling, Straw and now Miliband have gone, i'm not sure what will happen with Johnson. Balls, I think, has reinvented himself a bit during the leadership campaign and distanced himself from Brown. Johnson hasn't really, but I still think he'll get a good role. He might end up in Schools or Health if Balls gets Home Sec :dontknow:

In other news, every time I try and write "sec" I always spell it "sex" first time :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    I don't think Ed Balls will be shadow Chancellor, Teveth...

Miliband made it clear that he agrees with deficit redcution, and Ed Balls on countless occasions has made it clear he did not agree with the reduction strategy.
    I thought Dave was in favour of Darling's plan, and Ed wasn't so much...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louis1991)
    I thought Dave was in favour of Darling's plan, and Ed wasn't so much...

Ed Miliband, 28th Sept

"Let me say, I believe strongly that we need to reduce the deficit.

There will be cuts, and there would have been if we had been in government.

Some of them will be painful, and would have been if we were in government.

I won't oppose every cut the coalition proposes.

There will be some things the coalition does that we won't like as a party but we will have to support.

And come the next election there will be some things they have done that I'll want to reverse but will not be able to.

I say this because the fiscal credibility we earned before 1997 was hard won and we must win it back by the time of the next general election.

I am serious about reducing our deficit."

I'm assuming that from this bit of his speech, it rules Balls out as shadow Chancellor, I maybe wrong though.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Ed Miliband, 28th Sept

"Let me say, I believe strongly that we need to reduce the deficit.

There will be cuts, and there would have been if we had been in government.

Some of them will be painful, and would have been if we were in government.

I won't oppose every cut the coalition proposes.

There will be some things the coalition does that we won't like as a party but we will have to support.

And come the next election there will be some things they have done that I'll want to reverse but will not be able to.

I say this because the fiscal credibility we earned before 1997 was hard won and we must win it back by the time of the next general election.

I am serious about reducing our deficit."

I'm assuming that from this bit of his speech, it rules Balls out as shadow Chancellor, I maybe wrong though.
    Probably. But not having Ed Balls as Shadow Chancellor means he can pipe up with his opinions and oppose what the Shadow Chancellor says.

So what does Ed Miliband do? Stick Mrs Ed Balls in as Chancellor as I don't think she's really spoken out in the same way and that way you have someone more neutral as Shadow Chancellor, some one who has proven experience in the financial jobs and someone who will keep Mr Ed Balls quiet and on side.

That's what I'm hoping for anyway.

ReputationRep:
    -
    Hmm. I've got a copy of the Independent from a couple of days ago in front of me. It says, talking about Darling's deficit plan, "although David endorsed it during the election campaign, Ed did not".

Also, a quote from Alan Johnson about David Miliband:

he is head and shoulders above the other candidate
    :beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RK)
    Probably. But not having Ed Balls as Shadow Chancellor means he can pipe up with his opinions and oppose what the Shadow Chancellor says.

So what does Ed Miliband do? Stick Mrs Ed Balls in as Chancellor as I don't think she's really spoken out in the same way and that way you have someone more neutral as Shadow Chancellor, some one who has proven experience in the financial jobs and someone who will keep Mr Ed Balls quiet and on side.

That's what I'm hoping for anyway.
    That's why I said Cooper would be SC a few posts up. Her stance is a bit more unknown that her husband's, so would probably adapt it to Ed's a bit more giving Ed a bit more control.

That and the fact there's this whole "get women in the shadow cabinet" drive going on. It would look a bit odd if the 6 (most likely more) women are all given the less important jobs.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    That's why I said Cooper would be SC a few posts up. Her stance is a bit more unknown that her husband's, so would probably adapt it to Ed's a bit more giving Ed a bit more control.

That and the fact there's this whole "get women in the shadow cabinet" drive going on. It would look a bit odd if the 6 (most likely more) women are all given the less important jobs.

And yeah, chances are there will be at least one woman, perhaps 2 in the big jobs of Shadow Chancellor, Home Sec and Foreign Sec.

I'd certainly also like to see more than 6 women in the shadow cabinet, at least if there were more elected, it would stop people saying they were only there to meet the quota. If there were more, then it could only be because people chose their favourite candidates.

Out of interested what positions do you think Caroline Flint could get if she was selected? I really have no idea where she might get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RK)

And yeah, chances are there will be at least one woman, perhaps 2 in the big jobs of Shadow Chancellor, Home Sec and Foreign Sec.

I'd certainly also like to see more than 6 women in the shadow cabinet, at least if there were more elected, it would stop people saying they were only there to meet the quota. If there were more, then it could only be because people chose their favourite candidates.

Out of interested what positions do you think Caroline Flint could get if she was selected? I really have no idea where she might get.
    But with this positive discrimination drive there's always going to be people saying they're not fully deserving. People are being actively encouraged to vote for women, and I don't think that's necessary really. Getting more women into politics should start at the bottom, not the top.

What other woman would get one of the big jobs? Tessa Jowell? Abbott? The latter has been a bit of a laughing stock during the leadership campaign, and the former, along with most of the other Labour MPs, isn't exactly well known. Cooper will be the only one to get one of the big 3 jobs imo, the rest should start in something a bit smaller like immigration or defence (still an important role though), and then would have the experience to be considered for the top jobs later on.

Window dressing :teehee:
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    But with this positive discrimination drive there's always going to be people saying they're not fully deserving. People are being actively encouraged to vote for women, and I don't think that's necessary really. Getting more women into politics should start at the bottom, not the top.

What other woman would get one of the big jobs? Tessa Jowell? Abbott? The latter has been a bit of a laughing stock during the leadership campaign, and the former, along with most of the other Labour MPs, isn't exactly well known. Cooper will be the only one to get one of the big 3 jobs imo, the rest should start in something a bit smaller (still an important role though) like immigration or defence, and then would have the experience to be considered for the top jobs later on.

Window dressing :teehee:
    Hehe, quite...Shadow Window Dressing Secretary...more seriously, I'm thinking she'd perhaps be one of the top women and so could get a higher position, something like Education maybe or even Health if Andy Burham is moved elsewhere.

As for Diane Abbott, I'd like her to be in the cabinet, but really am not sure what position would be good for her, Communities? International Development?

I would also like to see Tessa Jowell with a bit more of a meatier job than she had in the last Government. She deserves a bit of a promotion form culture secretary and later just Olympic miniter. Maybe Justice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RK)
    Hehe, quite...Shadow Window Dressing Secretary...more seriously, I'm thinking she'd perhaps be one of the top women and so could get a higher position, something like Education maybe or even Health if Andy Burham is moved elsewhere.

As for Diane Abbott, I'd like her to be in the cabinet, but really am not sure what position would be good for her, Communities? International Development?

I would also like to see Tessa Jowell with a bit more of a meatier job than she had in the last Government. She deserves a bit of a promotion form culture secretary and later just Olympic miniter. Maybe Justice?
    Tbh predicting who's gonna get the lesser jobs is pretty much impossible. For Home Sec, Chancellor and Foreign Sec there's only a select few who can really be considered, for the education/health/justice etc more of the younger MPs or unknown quantities (to us anyway) can be chosen, and I think the majority of the women will get these types of jobs.

The voices inside the party seem to be saying Burnham has handled himself well during the leadership campaign haven't they? He maybe hasn't established himself to the public, or as leadership potential, but I get the impression he's improved his standing within the party. It's why I suggested him for Foreign Sec, he may be in line for a promotion :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    In some respects, it's a shame Chuka Umunna hasn't established himself enough/had long enough in Parliament yet to be taken into consideration. The shining light of British politics IMO.

ReputationRep:
    Justice - David Hanson

He showed great promise as a junior minister!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JRobbins)
    In some respects, it's a shame Chuka Umunna hasn't established himself enough/had long enough in Parliament yet to be taken into consideration. The shining light of British politics IMO.

I briefly saw him being interviewed on bbc news; at first I thought is this a possible rising star of the labour party a la obama, then I heard him speak and immediately thought otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    I think Burnham will get home secretary, Yvette Cooper will get chancellor, Balls will get Education or foreign, Abbott (if she's elected) will get something crappy like 'diversity' or something. Dunno about any others!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.