Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I want to know the proper way to slowly edge out of a junction to get a good view of traffic.

example: i come to stop at a junction, i can't see any cars coming but i want to edge out a bit more to see if anything is coming.

How do you do this properly?

ReputationRep:
    with the clutch

ReputationRep:
    You edge out slowly with the clutch. There's really not much to it. So long as you don't come shooting out you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SupaHans)
    with the clutch
    This.

Make sure you're moving around in your sit more than you are moving the car into the new road. You may feel like an idiot doing it, but i've yet to come across a road where I couldn't see oncoming traffic by simply leaning right forwards while slowly edging out.

The examiners like to see you making the effort to look around also.

ReputationRep:
    clutch control

ReputationRep:
    Good clutch control, ensuring you keep the speed of the car down. My instructor calls this 'peeping and creeping'. :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    so just bring the clutch up to the biting point to move... without using gas?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brendanb581)
    so just bring the clutch up to the biting point to move... without using gas?

thanks
    You need to use the gas to set the biting point.
    1. Gas pedal down (not all the way! To about 1000 revs, I was always told)
    2. Gently lift clutch up until you get to the biting point.
    3. Handbrake off, lift a tad more and you'll start to move slowly.
    4. To slow down, put clutch down a bit
    5. To stop - clutch down, brake.

Hope I've explained this ok, it's not easy to explain!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadameBonheur)
    You need to use the gas to set the biting point.
    1. Gas pedal down (not all the way! To about 1000 revs, I was always told)
    2. Gently lift clutch up until you get to the biting point.
    3. Handbrake off, lift a tad more and you'll start to move slowly.
    4. To slow down, put clutch down a bit
    5. To stop - clutch down, brake.

Hope I've explained this ok, it's not easy to explain!
    That's actually pretty good

Even in a diesel, you should be taught how to use the accelerator correctly. Practise until you're confident.

ReputationRep:
    Can I just hijack this with a similar question - when you are doing this, do you turn in a bit to the way you are turning? I was always taught to turn in while you wait for a chance to pull out so you are pointing a bit more in the way you'll be going but I've been going out driving and the person sitting with me is like what are you doing, that's dangerous, if someone rear-ends you you're pointed to go towards traffic.

Which is the right thing to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzanathema)
    what are you doing, that's dangerous, if someone rear-ends you you're pointed to go towards traffic.

Which is the right thing to do?
    That's a valid point, but applies to waiting on a major road to turn right across oncoming traffic into a minor road. In that situation, it is preferable (for that reason) to keep your wheels straight, but the layout of the junction, any road markings and the position of the car in front of you may require an amount of steering. Choose the lesser of two evils.

As for emerging, which is what the OP was asking about, any turn of the wheel on approach would depend entirely on which direction you're about to turn and the layout and shape of the junction. Generally speaking, left emerges require more approach steering than right emerges which generally require straight wheels, but ask your instructor for more precise advice on each scenario.

ReputationRep:
    Ah I see, thank you

I think the issue may have actually been that I drove into the little turning-right box at an angle ready to turn, and doing that at a wee angle does have the potential to make the rear of the car block up the road for the next lane over. I'll make more of an effort to watch my steering when I'm waiting to turn in future...

ReputationRep:
    Besides creeping, another useful thing to do is to wind the window down to allow you to listen for traffic if your vision is restricted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzanathema)
    doing that at a wee angle does have the potential to make the rear of the car block up the road for the next lane over.
    Yeah, you really don't want to be in the way of another lane. Make sure your approach position is as far over to the right as possible then this won't happen. Not only that, but you'll see better too.

ReputationRep:
    there should be a viewing mirror or sufficient room to view traffic, you never 'edge out of a junction' its how most bicycle, moped and motorbike collisions happen. when a car is 'edging out of a junction to get a better view' its not the vehicles right of way even if you cannot see, and you will just end up hurting someone if you keep practicing that, the best way is to use these roads is to ask the council to either manage the road view better or put up viewing mirrors and remember to not use that road until they do something about it.if the junction is near or on your land you are usually expected, with the help of neighbors in differing situations, to manage the surface of non tarmac roads and to put up relevant viewing mirrors. so it may not even be the councils responsibility, either way stay away from roads that are dangerous and you should be fine.

sorry i resurrected such an old post i just feel very strongly on this topic as people are always edging out while i ride my bike, its very uncool, as i get pushed into on coming traffic or just go over their hood
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Spgsamuel)
    there should be a viewing mirror or sufficient room to view traffic, you never 'edge out of a junction' its how most bicycle, moped and motorbike collisions happen. when a car is 'edging out of a junction to get a better view' its not the vehicles right of way even if you cannot see, and you will just end up hurting someone if you keep practicing that, the best way is to use these roads is to ask the council to either manage the road view better or put up viewing mirrors and remember to not use that road until they do something about it.if the junction is near or on your land you are usually expected, with the help of neighbors in differing situations, to manage the surface of non tarmac roads and to put up relevant viewing mirrors. so it may not even be the councils responsibility, either way stay away from roads that are dangerous and you should be fine.

sorry i resurrected such an old post i just feel very strongly on this topic as people are always edging out while i ride my bike, its very uncool, as i get pushed into on coming traffic or just go over their hood
    Don't bump old threads. Highway code says to edge slowly out of a junction if the road you're joining isn't visible.

ReputationRep:
    I hate creepers as well, pulling out slowly into the road, making me veer into oncoming traffic or smash into their cars, It's almost like they expect me to stop and give way rather than just blindly pelting forward.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.