Turn on thread page Beta

Emailing Universities watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have heard a lot of people say that it is good to contact universities before applying so as to make yourself familiar to them and when they received your application they remember you emailing and showing a keeness etc.

I think that this is a really good idea and I intend to let them know who I am :yep:

My question is:

How do I start off, what should I say in my first email?
    obviously subsequent emails will be based on their response I just don't know how to start the ball rolling :woo:

It is very unlikely that they will remember you. The purpose of emailing them, is to seek information regarding the course and whether or not they will recommend an application.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I don't think they give a ****, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    It's true, they almost certainly won't remember you, as most unis have so many applications. However, you could also mention the reason you want to do the course and why one particular uni is the one you want to apply to, as long as you keep the email fairly short and concise.

ReputationRep:
    Don't waste their time (or yours) unless you have a genuine enquiry.

ReputationRep:
    rsm68 - e mail universities. Even better, call them and speak in person. But don't e mail or call the university with a general question. Make it very specific to you, your ambitions, your experience and qualifications to date, you're a mature student after all, not an 18 year old. I see so many threads on here about ..... will I get into Uni with this Access course or these A levels ? Why ask here ? Talk to the organ grinder. No one on here is a University Admissions Tutor ( well maybe they are, in disguise ). Uni Admissions tutors will talk to you and give you good advice, about your chances, where your application might fall short, what courses you might think about doing to improve your app. etc.. That's what they do, it's their job. I've yet to meet anyone from Admissions who felt that talking to prospective applicants was a waste of their time or yours. If you can get beyond the Admissions Dept. and make direct contact with the Admissions Tutor for the Faculty then you'll fair even better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cliffg)
    rsm68 - e mail universities. Even better, call them and speak in person. But don't e mail or call the university with a general question. Make it very specific to you, your ambitions, your experience and qualifications to date, you're a mature student after all, not an 18 year old. I see so many threads on here about ..... will I get into Uni with this Access course or these A levels ? Why ask here ?
    I would agree with this but only if you don't have the standard entry requirements. If the uni needs A levels in certain subjects and you are taking A levels in those subjects then they certainly won't appreciate being asked if they'll accept CCD when a typical offer is AAA. I was a bit worried by your original post as you said you wanted to "let them know who you are"! Well unless it is a course which is begging for students then they don't really care who you are at the inital stage, they just want you to fulfil the entry requirements....

But you are a mature student (question is, how mature? they're not likely to change their requirements for a 21 yr old with A levels) so it's possible that you have been working for a while, did A levels a while ago or not at all, have lots of relevant experience and /or an Access course and if any of these apply to you and you're not sure when you're eligible for a certain uni or course, then it would be quite sensible to ask them

Good luck

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.