This discussion is closed.
Dreama
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hey Guys

Newbie alert... Don't throw rocks please

Just wondering about general information for Oxbridge entrance.

I'm predicted four A's in my forthcoming AS levels, and hope to make an application to read Law at Oxford.

Seems ridiculously early to be considering University's but I am told the Oxbridge entrance procedure starts early.

Could anyone tell me this procedure?

Is it through UCAS? What are the approximate deadlines?

Any comments on Law at Oxford anyone? Trying desperately to select a college... but failing miserably :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance guys,
Regards, Dreamer x
androidkiller
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah, the procedure starts early - you have to send in your UCAS form and an Oxford entry form before 15th October (or thereabouts, it was that date this year)

But don't stress too much, as long as you start thinking about it after your AS exams you'll have enough time. the part that takes the longest is your personal statement. Start that first so that you have time to change it to get it as close to perfect as you can.
Dreama
Rep:
?
So the deadline tends to be the October after AS levels and before A levels?

Thankyou for such a swift reply.

Is anyone in the process of a Law app to Oxford? I want to ideally make an open application, but have been told it isn't always a preferable idea.

Dreama x
dreamer
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
dreama, I am dreamer!

how you doing?
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Dreama)

Is anyone in the process of a Law app to Oxford? I want to ideally make an open application, but have been told it isn't always a preferable idea.

Dreama x
I applied to do law at cambridge...but i was told that for either uni...an open application doesn't affect your chances of getting in. i.e. colleges won't discriminate against you just because you didn't specifically choose them. Having said that...you might want to specify a college...just so that you at least have some say about where you end up if you get in...

Good Luck

G
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Dreama x
The deadline is always the 15th October of your Upper 6th year. The earliest you can send your application in is Sept 1st, but that's usually very tricky as it would entail getting your reference done before term started etc. I think mine went in about the end of September. I'm not sure about Oxford, but for Cambridge, you also had to fill in an extra application form, which gave you a chance to write a little more personal statement specific to Cambridge and for your referee to write some more too. I suggest as a start you get hold of a prospectus - you can order them online from their website (for some reason I'm not getting it to print the URL right, but it's easy to find) and look through it - that will have the application process explained, as well as information about the colleges and courses etc.
Dreama
Rep:
?
Dreamer ~ Oh Lord, making enemies already Sorry.. No reason to be a name-nicker, first thing that came to my head

Everyone else ~ Thankyou very much for your informative replies You guys believe in recycling knowledge I guess

Mmm, think I'll specify a college. It's just going-about choosing one I guess.. Big, small, women's, mixed, establsihed, new... My head's spinning.. If I see the words "Prospective student" one more time my mind may implode...

How did you all go about choosing your colleges for either Cam or Oxford?

Dreama xxx
paymaster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I made an open application for law to cambridge. I did this as my school has no particular links with any colleges there, and I was told at a conference that this would ensure I'd b put in a college with a lower amount of applicants, thus improving my chances.

I was allocated magdalene, and I presume my application was handled from then on like every1 else's. They gave me an offer in the end!
Minta
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The first time I applied I chose a college that had a central location, good gender and school-type balance and that was a medium size (St Catharine's). Unfortunately, it turned out to have a particularly competitive year last year, so I didn't get in. This year I made my college choice based mostly on where I thought I would be most likely to get in, but also chose the college because it offered a good standard of accomodation for all 3 years and was off the tourist track (New Hall).
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I have a choice between the school's "special relationship" college and my father's college...I'm choosing my father's.

Ask if your school has an agreement with any of the colleges.
Ralfskini
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
I have a choice between the school's "special relationship" college and my father's college...I'm choosing my father's.

Ask if your school has an agreement with any of the colleges.

What is your fathers college and what is the schools special one?
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ralfskini)
What is your fathers college and what is the schools special one?
Peterhouse Cam
Magdalen Ox
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Ask yourself if there is anything in particular you want to look for in a college e.g. size, accomodation for 3 years, musical/sporty/good all rounder, performs well academically, traditional, strong for your subject, lots of Fellows in your subject etc. I personally looked for musical colleges which were medium-large in size and quite good academically - I drew up a shortlist and I went to visit them on the open day before making a final decision
Jade
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
Peterhouse Cam
Magdalen Ox
Doesn't mean that you will necessarily be given a place. A girl in the year above me, applied to the college that her father attended, and was rejected. Family ties does not safeguard a place!
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Jade)
Doesn't mean that you will necessarily be given a place. A girl in the year above me, applied to the college that her father attended, and was rejected. Family ties does not safeguard a place!
I know that.
Jade
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
I know that.
So why apply there?? It is quite small, and appaerntly antiquated..although I really cannot offer much of an opinion, I applied to Johns, and given an offer from Newhall, I think anywwhere you go in Cambridge, you will have the opportunity to do well.what subject are you applying for?
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Jade)
So why apply there?? It is quite small, and appaerntly antiquated..although I really cannot offer much of an opinion, I applied to Johns, and given an offer from Newhall, I think anywwhere you go in Cambridge, you will have the opportunity to do well.what subject are you applying for?
I'm applying there because it's the best college at which to read history; not only that, but it's a small and friendly community with a wonderful and prestigious past. It also has the perfect intellectual and political climate (for me anyway). The only difference having a family member who went there might make would be if it were between you and another identical candidate! Don't think that I'm applying there under the delusion that I'll be offered a place just because my father went there!!

I'm applying for History.

Congrats on your offer btw Which subject?
Jade
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
I'm applying there because it's the best college at which to read history; not only that, but it's a small and friendly community with a wonderful and prestigious past. It also has the perfect intellectual and political climate (for me anyway). The only difference having a family member who went there might make would be if it were between you and another identical candidate! Don't think that I'm applying there under the delusion that I'll be offered a place just because my father went there!!

I'm applying for History.

Congrats on your offer btw Which subject?
Law, did consider History, but the sixth form LAW conf in Marcjh swung the balance for me! Good luck with you app, but don't make too uch of a fuss about aplying to your father's college on this forum, because what I have seen so far, it could cause eitherfull-scale scathing attack on you, or a totally uncalled for deluded debate about the unfairness of the Cam app. system!! Be Warned!
Jade x
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Could somebody explain this whole schools having links to colleges thing to me?
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
Could somebody explain this whole schools having links to colleges thing to me?
Some staff at certain schools have 'friends in high places' so to speak. Other schools have historical connections with certain colleges (eg my own college and Cheltenham Ladies'). Tutors often have certain referees who they trust from schools they have expereince of. It's all pretty wrong, but it does go on.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (220)
68.11%
No (103)
31.89%

Watched Threads