When The Info Hits The Fan... Watch

This discussion is closed.
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
Some staff at certain schools have 'friends in high places' so to speak. Other schools have historical connections with certain colleges (eg my own college and Cheltenham Ladies'). Tutors often have certain referees who they trust from schools they have expereince of. It's all pretty wrong, but it does go on.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Our school and one other in the area have an "unwritten" agreement with two Oxbridge colleges that they WILL send one person for each subject to study there (note "study", not "be interviewed"). Needless to say they're both private schools. It's horribly, horribly wrong, and should quite frankly be stopped.
fishpaste
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
That's really quite awful.
Veedy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
That's really quite awful.
It's bloody disgraceful! :mad: I go to a school called William Hulme's GS, and we used to have/had links with Brasenose college which guaranteed about 4 of our students getting a place each year because our school's founder gave them a lot of money ( they've named stuff after him too- e.g. the hulme JCR).

Anyway, our school decided that it wasn't quite right and for the past 5 or 6 years have stopped encouraging people to apply to Brasenose, which I think is good.

We used to have 7/8 students getting into Oxbridge every year back then, now it's something like one student every two years.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
Our school and one other in the area have an "unwritten" agreement with two Oxbridge colleges that they WILL send one person for each subject to study there (note "study", not "be interviewed"). Needless to say they're both private schools. It's horribly, horribly wrong, and should quite frankly be stopped.
I know, I think that sort of thing is hideous - it used to be rife when they really were public school universities, although a lot of them have died down now. I think it should be stamped out completely though.

And Tek - I have some great friends in Peterhouse. Sure, it's full of ancient gay Tories, but my lot are nice
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Veedy)
It's bloody disgraceful! :mad: I go to a school called William Hulme's GS, and we used to have/had links with Brasenose college which guaranteed about 4 of our students getting a place each year because our school's founder gave them a lot of money ( they've named stuff after him too- e.g. the hulme JCR).

Anyway, our school decided that it wasn't quite right and for the past 5 or 6 years have stopped encouraging people to apply to Brasenose, which I think is good.

We used to have 7/8 students getting into Oxbridge every year back then, now it's something like one student every two years.
I used to live in Hulme *random*

But yeah, that is really bad, though I always heard of William Hulme as an incredibly good school, so rather expected them to send more than 0.5 per year.
F. Poste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Dreama)
How did you all go about choosing your colleges for either Cam or Oxford?
I did it very sloppily, so don't follow my lead! I just clicked on a few pages on the Oxford Colleges website list, saw that Somerville looked quite nice (The bits that said "friendly and relaxed atmosphere", "welcomes contact with schools and colleges that have little or no experience of entering candidates for Oxford" [I am the first ever person from my school to apply], has "one of the best undergraduate libraries in any Oxford college" particularly caught my eye) and thought "I'll try that one then!" It could have gone very wrong, but luckily it worked out for the best, as most of the things about it suit me, and when I went to the interview I fell very quickly in love. I got an offer so my heart remains intact
Veedy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
I used to live in Hulme *random*

But yeah, that is really bad, though I always heard of William Hulme as an incredibly good school, so rather expected them to send more than 0.5 per year.
Yeah, it still has a decent reputation. It's nowhere near the standard of MGS and has fallen behind Stockport Grammar and Cheadle Hulme. It used to be a very good school when I started, but a lot has happened since then such as the headmaster scandal and a lot of good teachers leaving. IMO the school is getting worse by the year academic wise .
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (542)
66.5%
No (273)
33.5%

Watched Threads