Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Having a part time job and Uni watch

I'm at Bournemouth studying Music and Audio Technology - they told me I should be doing 3 hours study for every hour taught and that I shouldn't really have a job because those commitments get in the way.

My work are very flexible - if I can't make it in for something because an exam comes up or I need to change days because my timetable changes, they're ok with it. I started my job at Sainsbury's in July and have just started feeling like I belong there and I'm really quite enjoying it. I only do 12 hours a week.

My questions are;

a) How many of you adhere to said 3 hours to every 1 hour rule?
    b) Do you think I'll be ok keeping this job and still having time to study?
    c) If b is a yes, will I have any free time all? Because I don't like partying; I record my own music and home and just a couple days off semi-regularly would be nice.

Are you in your first year? I've had a job for my 2nd year, and am planning on keeping it in my 3rd year. I think it's perfectly manageable, providing you plan your time well. Heck in the last week I worked 21 hours (I work in the uni library so had to be around for freshers week) and still managed time for partying and a bit of reading. I don't plan on working that much normally obviously, but I know plenty of people that had a job and did well.
    Same with extra curicular activities, my friend got a 1st while still doing a million other activities in his free time.

In answer to your actual questions:
    a) I don't think I have personally stuck to this, but plan to this year.
    b) Yes
    c) If you don't like partying then that is a huge advantage for your studying, I think you will be fine Keep the job because you will drive yourself crazy doing nothing other than studying!
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.