Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm at Bournemouth studying Music and Audio Technology - they told me I should be doing 3 hours study for every hour taught and that I shouldn't really have a job because those commitments get in the way.

My work are very flexible - if I can't make it in for something because an exam comes up or I need to change days because my timetable changes, they're ok with it. I started my job at Sainsbury's in July and have just started feeling like I belong there and I'm really quite enjoying it. I only do 12 hours a week.

My questions are;

a) How many of you adhere to said 3 hours to every 1 hour rule?
    b) Do you think I'll be ok keeping this job and still having time to study?
    c) If b is a yes, will I have any free time all? Because I don't like partying; I record my own music and home and just a couple days off semi-regularly would be nice.

ReputationRep:
    Are you in your first year? I've had a job for my 2nd year, and am planning on keeping it in my 3rd year. I think it's perfectly manageable, providing you plan your time well. Heck in the last week I worked 21 hours (I work in the uni library so had to be around for freshers week) and still managed time for partying and a bit of reading. I don't plan on working that much normally obviously, but I know plenty of people that had a job and did well.
    Same with extra curicular activities, my friend got a 1st while still doing a million other activities in his free time.

In answer to your actual questions:
    a) I don't think I have personally stuck to this, but plan to this year.
    b) Yes
    c) If you don't like partying then that is a huge advantage for your studying, I think you will be fine Keep the job because you will drive yourself crazy doing nothing other than studying!

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.