Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have been predicted ABC, and i wanted to go to a uni in the top 20 at least (decents ones that ask for ABB at least).

I wanted to do Accounting and finance before but now really like the look of an economics course for which most of the top 20 unis ask for AAA-AAB.

I wanted to ask how the reputation of having a accounting and finance degree compares to a economics degree?
    I know economics is better but is accounting and finance a crap course?

Also, is it worth just getting a AAA(which i can get, applying next year, and taking a gap year?
    Do universities mind me taking a gap year, i will be doing a job at least and hopefully trying to get into a gap yr program at a big 4 firm or Rothschild (unlikely but worth a shot :P)

ReputationRep:
    Unis like gap years as long as you do something worthwhile with it according to my Head of Year. She reckoned that people who do a gap year and go travelling or whatever are more independent when they get to uni and do beeter because they find living independently easier.

So yeah, go for the gap year...it sounds like you're going to do something worthwhile.

ReputationRep:
    So they wouldn't be putting of by me taking a average job like say in Tesco's? or would they count that as not doing much?

I may also be doing a fitness regime called Crossfit and possibly help coaching at a gym and/or work there.

Would unis like either?

So, as long as i do something in my year, it doesnt lower my chances of applying 2nd time around?

ReputationRep:
    You could apply this year, defer your entry for a year on your application form and then be guaranteed a place in 2012. That way, if you don't get in this year, you can reapply next year without it affecting your life.

As long as you do something useful in your gap year, unis will be fine. Maybe not Tesco's though!

ReputationRep:
    Im predicted ABC, if i were predicted ABB i would apply definitely.
    The thing is i don't really want to do to a ABC uni, as the are all the 300 ucas point unis which i dont like much as theres not any good ones for economics and even for accounting and finance they aren't great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uxa595)
    Im predicted ABC, if i were predicted ABB i would apply definitely.
    The thing is i don't really want to do to a ABC uni, as the are all the 300 ucas point unis which i dont like much as theres not any good ones for economics and even for accounting and finance they aren't great.
    You can still apply to an ABB uni even if you're predicted ABC. They might give you an ABB offer. I was predicted ABB and applied to 2 AAB unis and got AAB offers.

ReputationRep:
    spelling correction: gap yah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CertifiedAngel)
    You can still apply to an ABB uni even if you're predicted ABC. They might give you an ABB offer. I was predicted ABB and applied to 2 AAB unis and got AAB offers.
    Sorry to hijack this thread a little, but I'm in the same position as the OP.

I am predicted ABC and would like to get into ABB Uni's.

Do they very often give out offers as in your case? Or even mine? Or does it just completely depend on the institution and course you are applying for? I'm guessing both your Personal Statement and Reference were both top notch to help you get those offers.

ReputationRep:
    Well, i have just checked the uni websites and a lot of ABB universities for accounting and finance have even gone up to AAB :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crimsonchilli)
    spelling correction: gap yah
    lol I like you already

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to ask how the reputation of having a accounting and finance degree compares to a economics degree?
    I know economics is better but is accounting and finance a crap course?

If i were to get AAA next year, what are my chances of getting into Nottingham/Bath with my GCSE's?

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.