Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

University Halls watch

Announcements

I just started university on Saturday, I was assigned a studio flat, despite not applying for one, so have no flatmates. There are 3 other flats on the floor and all the people seem very nice and I seem to get on well with them whenever I bump into them, however im a bit nervous to just go knock on there door and say "hey want to hang out" cause i barely know them and id feel like a complete douche, anyone got any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Hide outside their room in waiting, as soon as they come out, spring in front of them with beers and say "oooo what a fine coincidence! booze? :rolleyes: "

:ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Although I don't start till Sunday. I know a few of my friends were in your predicament. Luckily the other flatmates were as eager to hang out with them, so they kept knocking on each others doors to hang out! Have you looked around the campus much yet? Or gone out on many nights out? A simple 'Want to go to the shops to get some food' or 'Want to have search round campus' would be a start, if you haven't already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FTstudies)
    Although I don't start till Sunday. I know a few of my friends were in your predicament. Luckily the other flatmates were as eager to hang out with them, so they kept knocking on each others doors to hang out! Have you looked around the campus much yet? Or gone out on many nights out? A simple 'Want to go to the shops to get some food' or 'Want to have search round campus' would be a start, if you haven't already.
    ive been out around campus and out every night since i got here until tonight(way too tired), ive been out with one or two of them around campus but still feel weird about knocking on there door saying want to hang out

ReputationRep:
    When I moved into my flat, it was hard to introduce myself to the others I share a kitchen with, but now we've tried to find each other on Facebook and such, and today me and a couple of them were chatting through FB to cook and get tea and stuff at the same time, since the kitchen is lonely I guess your best bet OP is to use the old "I've run out of....., do you fancy a wander to the shops?" You'll likely find that someone else will need something and doesn't want to go on their own. Either that or post ominous notes under their doors.

ReputationRep:
    OP just out of interest which uni are you at?
    If it really gets to you, you could always ask to move in a few weeks? But bare in mind there are plenty of other ways to make friends eg on your course, socieites, etc. but i would suggest like others have said just make sure you're always friendly when you see them, and dont hold back from asking questions like others have mentioned above. and don't panic if you find you dont forge close friendships with any of them immediately, it takes time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fi_505)
    OP just out of interest which uni are you at?
    If it really gets to you, you could always ask to move in a few weeks? But bare in mind there are plenty of other ways to make friends eg on your course, socieites, etc. but i would suggest like others have said just make sure you're always friendly when you see them, and dont hold back from asking questions like others have mentioned above. and don't panic if you find you dont forge close friendships with any of them immediately, it takes time!
    Sussex, i can join the swap list now if i want but id rather get to know people here better as they seem nice enough. ive joined societies and have made other friends but id like to know the people around me well, ive been nice to them and we have chats if we bump into each other

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 30, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.