Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is ugly betty ugly? Watch

Would you say that ugly betty is ugly?

ReputationRep:
    Nope i think they are making her prettier as the show progesses which annoys me slightly, fair enough shes developing as a character....but when the show ends, if they decide to give her a makeover it will really pee me off because it will detract from the overall message that the show is conveying!

NO just NO!

ReputationRep:
    Nooooo

ReputationRep:
    nopes, she is thinner and even nicer clothes since the beginning = pointless.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but only because they've made their purposely ugly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soph1990)
    Nope i think they are making her prettier as the show progesses which annoys me slightly, fair enough shes developing as a character....but when the show ends, if they decide to give her a makeover it will really pee me off because it will detract from the overall message that the show is conveying!
    She does and they justify it by saying she comes to appreciate "fashion as art".

I don't have a problem with her gaining fashion tips - anyone would in the fashion world. She's still the same Betty underneath. I don't think good taste in hair and clothes should equate to being shallow or anything like that.

ReputationRep:
    They basically made a pretty person (America Ferrara) into an "ugly" person by using props such as a wig, glasses, braces etc to portray her as such.

ReputationRep:
    no.

ReputationRep:
    No

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Would you say that ugly betty is ugly?
    why are you anon?

ReputationRep:
    I remember watching the very first episode and I always thought she wasn't ugly. She's not that attractive... but if she just changed her hair/glasses/clothes then she would be. But no way is she ugly.

ReputationRep:
    aye, hideous...

She is to me.

They'd never put a 'real' ugly person on television anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Of course she's not. She's the American TV show version of ugly, which means that a) she's an attractive person dressed up with typically unattractive additions and b) that even looking like that she wouldn't be considered ugly if you saw her looking like that outside of the TV show.

I think it's kind of sad that there are shows that think audiences are so scared of ugly people (especially women) being on their TVs that they'll use pretend ugly people instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    Of course she's not. She's the American TV show version of ugly, which means that a) she's an attractive person dressed up with typically unattractive additions and b) that even looking like that she wouldn't be considered ugly if you saw her looking like that outside of the TV show.

I think it's kind of sad that there are shows that think audiences are so scared of ugly people (especially women) being on their TVs that they'll use pretend ugly people instead.
    I agree, and the fact that they use glasses and braces as an example of 'ugly' is pathetic. There are probably loads of teenage girls out there with glasses or braces getting the wrong impression that way.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think she ever was supposed to be ugly as such. She was just meant to be ugly in the eyes of the crazily shallow fashion world. Others, outside of it, have appreciated her looks.

Is it bad that I love her clothes? :/

ReputationRep:
    theyre making her look better with each series. her sense of fashion has improved. i think they'll show her looking really nice in the last series, without her braces etc. she starred in the sisterhood of the travelling pants, and looked alright there

ReputationRep:
    No, of course not.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.