Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i want to do accounting and finance at universities. however, i've got grade 'd' in gcse math where universities ask for at least a grade 'c' in math. i am resitting gcse math so hopefully will get grade 'c'. i also didn't do traditional a level at sixth form. i did health and social care double award and got 2 b's and 2c's in law and business studies. i have passed adult numeracy at level 2 which i think is equivivlant to grade c at gcse.
    so intelligent people, tell me what are my chances of getting into a university without gcse math. how can i convince universities to give me a place
    very tense about it and haven't start my personal statement yet
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I don't think you are picking the correct course based on your apparent mathematical ability. Sorry if that sounds negative.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't have A level maths, unis ask for an A at GCSE maths, I believe!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    I don't think you are picking the correct course based on your apparent mathematical ability. Sorry if that sounds negative.
    This, accounting and finance is very maths based and without a c you will struggle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sidra111)
    i want to do accounting and finance at universities. however, i've got grade 'd' in gcse math where universities ask for at least a grade 'c' in math. i am resitting gcse math so hopefully will get grade 'c'. i also didn't do traditional a level at sixth form. i did health and social care double award and got 2 b's and 2c's in law and business studies. i have passed adult numeracy at level 2 which i think is equivivlant to grade c at gcse.
    so intelligent people, tell me what are my chances of getting into a university without gcse math. how can i convince universities to give me a place
    very tense about it and haven't start my personal statement yet
    I hate to be cynical but, your chances are low in all honesty, especially considering the competitiveness of our current climate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dededex)
    I hate to be cynical but, your chances are low in all honesty, especially considering the competitiveness of our current climate.
    i am not gonne apply to top university though
    applying to universities that only ask for grade c in math or eqvivlant qualification
    what if i tell them the reason behind poor gcse math:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Extricated)
    This, accounting and finance is very maths based and without a c you will struggle.
    i have heard accounting is not all to do with math. it's also about analying numbers etc

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to say, unis like to see good GCSE maths grades!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    no, i'm happy at kleast u have given ur honest opinion. however, i believe i am good at math but during my gcse exam i was ill therefore messed up in the exam but i am resitting so hopefully get good result. in addition, i am also doing business studies that include accounting and finance in it
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    no, i'm happy at kleast u have given ur honest opinion. however, i believe i am good at math but during my gcse exam i was ill therefore messed up in the exam but i am resitting so hopefully get good result. in addition, i am also doing business studies that include accounting and finance in it
    Ok, good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boromir9111)
    Sorry to say, unis like to see good GCSE maths grades!
    i am resitting gcse math though
    would universities not give me one chnace to improve my ability in math

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Mr M]Ok, good luck.[/QUOTE
    what do u think? would i get into university if i explained in my personal statement about reason behind poor gcse math
    i am freaking out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    what course should i pick according to you
    i want to work in a bank

ReputationRep:
    If you do better than expected then they may but you will have to explain it in your P.S!

ReputationRep:
    people, please help me
    i'm getting very worried
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    what course should i pick according to you
    i want to work in a bank
    I don't know. Could you get some advice at school/college?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boromir9111)
    If you do better than expected then they may but you will have to explain it in your P.S!
    can they not give me conditional offer like you'll have to achieve grade c in gcse math and 280 points in a levels
    i am very worried about university:o:

ReputationRep:
    can they not give me conditional offer like you'll have to achieve grade c in gcse math and 280 points in a levels
    i am very worried about university:o:
    It's like Mr M said, you really need to talk to your school/college.....only they can really help here tbh!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 29, 2010

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.