Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

New flatmate has made me feel very uncomfortable - wealth and politics watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Middle to upper working class, I suppose.

I go to a red brick university
    Well...I'd consider myself an "avid Labour supporter" too but she does seem to be talking bull. Why don't you tell her? Obviously in an non-confrontational manner that would let her see that you aren't comfortable with it. I have a few friends that have told me this, and it's a bit awkward at first...however I soon realised that not everyone is political (or as political) as me and it isn't everything. Me and tory friends just talk about something else other than politics

ReputationRep:
    how can you not think your middle class when your parents earn more than 80,000 pounds a year?

so your working class on more than 80 grand a year? maybe thats what made her mad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MancBoy)
    More like: listen to Indie, speak like a **** and dress like a ****.
    You mean this? I believe the correct term is being a **** head.

ReputationRep:
    Her life has probably been 'harder' than yours in monetary terms, but that shouldn't devalue what you have done and achieved.

Im working class, but could never be an avid Labour supporter. Im actually quite Conservate despite having barely any money and my parents earning much less than yours.

I think what this demonstrates is that even a 'working class' person can be stuck up and a prude. Likewise a 'middle class' person can be un-conservative.

Just because your parents earn more money doesn't mean you should be tidying the kitchen all the time. Get out there from the start and lay down the law of how it's going to be: If you use something in the kitchen, wash it up afterwards. End of story.

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't. My family may have money but they don't spend it very liberally.
    So? You went to private school and your parents earn over £80k, you're middle class.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously I'm going to try to avoid talking about such things with her to avoid confrontation, but I'm worried that if she's so opinionated already, what will she be like when the kitchen gets a bit messy or something?
    Oh GOD, she'll call in the unions!

ReputationRep:
    If I were you, I'd be polite but firm. She can't ask you to apologise for the way for were raised.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Reems)
    Beat her at her own game, get involved.

Spout conservative, free market rhetoric and claim that the lower classes are lazy and sponge from the state.

Failing that, get a contract killer.
    Yeah troll that left winger hard. Pure libertarian right wing complete free market barely any state ect.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously some people get very tribal about politics and treat people who don't agree as enemies. This is because they are immature and insecure.

Just politely decline to talk with her about politics seeing as you don't enjoy talking about politics, and hopefully she'll learn to take it somewhere else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BurningSnowman)
    Oh GOD, she'll call in the unions!
    She'd get the cleaners to strike and then sit in the filth complaining that she doesn't understand why it's a mess. :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Yeah troll that left winger hard. Pure libertarian right wing complete free market barely any state ect.

Troll her so damn hard that she has to come here and ask advice about you.

ReputationRep:
    Why are people so ashamed to be middle class?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    Read the Daily Mail, wear fur, and use lit £20 notes to light your cigarettes.

Hilarity will ensue.
    Ah, that was hilarious! Nice one! Still giggling...

ReputationRep:
    This is why I never discuss politic or religion with people.

ReputationRep:
    I just can't believe you think you're working class. Really ... I'm almost speechless.

I was state schooled and my parents are frugal but I am definitely middle class. In fact, I'd say frugality is quite a middle-class trait. The real question is, why are you so desperate NOT to be middle class? What's wrong with it? You were born into it, it's not your fault, and it's nothing to apologise about.

ReputationRep:
    TSR, I'm just asking about how I can deal with someone like her? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.
    Man up and take each day as it comes.

ReputationRep:
    h8ers gonna h8

ReputationRep:
    The middling wage is like 21k or something. Just saying.

ReputationRep:
    woah woah woah, She says anything above 80k is middle class?! So if your family is earning 70k a year that makes you working class? What freakin mental planet is she from?! Anything above 40k is middle class. You're bonkers if you think you're working class on 75k.

OP: She sounds like your typical politicised 18 year old, she'll grow out of it. You can either avoid her, or you can really really argue with her and present yourself as a caricature of the ultimate bourgeoisie toff, just to piss her off.

ReputationRep:
    You "don't think many people are middle class"? Huh? The majority of people in the UK are middle class. I think you're confusing middle class with upper class...
    I think this a troll though - so :troll:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 1, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.