Turn on thread page Beta

New flatmate has made me feel very uncomfortable - wealth and politics watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I moved into university last week and didn't know anyone I am living with. There's one girl who I haven't seen very much since I've been here, but I only spoke to her properly today and she made me feel really uncomfortable.

One of the first things she said was that she was an avid Labour supporter. Obviously there's nothing wrong with that, we're all entitled to our own opinions and I didn't mention where I stand politically because I didn't want things to be awkward between us right from the offset.

She then announced that the Conservatives steal money from the poor by taking away all of their benefits. Again, I chose not to say anything because I didn't want to get mixed up in politics. Then she claimed that there shouldn't be private schools, as the pupils who go there don't have to work as hard as state school pupils, and that private school parents will give their children enough money to let them do what they want to do anyway.

Next she said that the class system in the UK was really obvious, and that if you, or your parents, earn more than £80,000 a year, then you're middle class.

Here's where it becomes awkward: I have been private schooled my entire life and I feel I have worked hard to get where I am. My parents earn more than £80,000 a year and have also worked hard to achieve that and they have been fortunate enough to be successful. I don't consider myself to be middle class, though, nor do I think that earning a certain amount of money makes you middle class. I think it's more about how you act and carry yourself. I don't think many people are middle class anyway.

Sorry, I've gone off point. It's just made me really feel uneasy around her. I feel like she's looking down her nose at me because she sees her life as being more 'real' than mine. She also keeps pushing her beliefs and talks over me if what I say opposes her.

Obviously I'm going to try to avoid talking about such things with her to avoid confrontation, but I'm worried that if she's so opinionated already, what will she be like when the kitchen gets a bit messy or something?

TSR, I'm just asking about how I can deal with someone like her? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.
    1) You are very much middle class. Nothing wrong with that.

2) Nothing wrong with being privately educated. In fact, I'd prefer my kids went to a private school over one of these crumbling state schools any day.

3) She's partly insecure about her own lowly position in society. Ignore her.

OP, she clearly has a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hmm, yeah I see your points. I'm not an argumentative person at all and most of the people I associate myself with are polite enough not to say too much about religion or politics until you know someone a little better. I have definitely being biting my tongue, I don't want to fall out with her, I like the fact that she obviously has some intelligence to know about politics and class, and I like her confidence.

I think I'll try saying what I really thing but in some subtle ways if she brings up this topic again, or similar ones. I'm just stunned that she's made such a snap judgement despite about me. Even though I haven't said much to her yet about who I am or what I believe I would like to let her know that I'm not the enemy. I respect her as a person and hope she can respect me too, regardless of my background and beliefs.
    It sounds like you're a kind and considerate person. You need to be careful though because sometimes people walk over people who are like that. If you let your views be known sooner rather than later, you'll be able to defend yourself and rationalise it and maybe change her opinion.

I was once too political and looking to debate and convince people that I was right, as I matured I learnt that it's not the way and peoples' silence (such as yours) is not because they agree but because they're avoiding conflict with someone clearly so passionate, yet misguided.

If you don't engage in the debate with her - you may end up doing it abruptly and angrily later on when you've had enough. As long as you're reasonable, it is fine - the worst thing that can happen is she will continue to be ignorant and judge you against her preconceptions which are clearly not valid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    Read the Daily Mail, wear fur, and use lit £20 notes to light your cigarettes.

Hilarity will ensue.
    Correction: cigars; not common cigs.

ReputationRep:
    Just take her with a pinch and salt, and laugh at her. That will irritate her. Call her "Marx" or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamrules247)
    Correction: cigars; not common cigs.
    I just assumed the OP was female.

We all know that it's illegal for women to do things like smoke cigars and vote.

ReputationRep:
    She's an idiot, you are middle class. Deal.

We all know that it's illegal for women to do things like smoke cigars and vote.
    :facepalm:

I am female, yes. Ever so slightly off topic, but sure.

ReputationRep:

Ahhh, I see

In that case, OP, if you are a female, then you need a emerald encrusted cigarette holder.

Awesome sig btw, fire2burn :awesome:

(Original post by Edgey)
    I'd verbally rape her.
    Then again, you aren't a lower class citizen if your household brings in 80k. Stop being daft.
    What, you think that just because, say, Katie Price a few million she isn't lower class?!

ReputationRep:
    Mistake her for a fox.

ReputationRep:
    Broadly, Class is the summation of Monetary Capital and Cultural Capital.

Lets look at Jordan/Katie Price. High M.C. No C.C = Lower middle class

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    woah woah woah, She says anything above 80k is middle class?! So if your family is earning 70k a year that makes you working class? What freakin mental planet is she from?! Anything above 40k is middle class. You're bonkers if you think you're working class on 75k.
    Social class has very little to do with money. I've met a millionaire who would describe himself as working class - he'd probably even describe his job as working class (had his own small business, related to the building trade - often did manual work himself) - and I would be inclined to agree with him. I, on the other hand, am young and fairly skint - and I'd consider myself solidly middle class.

What social class is this fellow, to your mind, then?

ReputationRep:
    Just tell her to go **** herself and light up a fat cuban with a benjamin.

ReputationRep:
    Staple a picture of Margaret Thatcher to a noticeboard. Regularly burn copies of Das Kapital and Arthur Scargill's autobiography, and take the Daily Mail's line of using the terms "Broken Britain", "Bliar" and "Red Ed"

ReputationRep:
    I'd do as you are tbh. Ignore her. Just when she talks about politics act uninterested and she'll think you just don't have much opinion.

A fair few of my friends at uni have strong political opinions but they are also varied. I wouldn't vote tory, but one of my closest friends here campaigns for them and everything, it shouldn't matter.

Really, it's fun to have debates about politics sometimes, but only for a little while... sometimes you just can't be bothered. So like I say, don't react and she probably will get bored, but at the same time don't feel like you have to hide your views; she should be able to accept that other people don't feel the same, take a few counter arguments, and not ignore who you are based on politics. If she doesn't, she's silly and will probably have a conflict with most people she meets.

ReputationRep:
    If she's truely left wing she shouldn't be a staunch labourite anyway, they're as right as the tories.

She just sounds like she's into playground politics, she'll soon grow out of it.

And as everyone else has previously said ... you're middle class. ENJOY IT.

ReputationRep:
    £80k middle class?!?! I would say £40k is pretty middle class imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Social class has very little to do with money. I've met a millionaire who would describe himself as working class - he'd probably even describe his job as working class (had his own small business, related to the building trade - often did manual work himself) - and I would be inclined to agree with him. I, on the other hand, am young and fairly skint - and I'd consider myself solidly middle class.

What social class is this fellow, to your mind, then?
    While this is true. In most cases wealth follows with class. Though we are not america why the weight of your wallet indicates social standing.

The OP having gone to a private school indicates this also.

Wrt OP does she know?
    You can get on with people at the other end of the spectrum too. As a libertarian I am pretty much on my own. One of my friends brought over someone who is an ardent labour supporter and then thought we might scrap, but no we got on because unless you preach at the other person constantly rather than having stimulating debate it is actually I find more fun sometimes to be with people who think differently.

Oh I have been called evil by some of my classmates but then they are medics. I am also pretty sure they didn't meant it. Probably.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously she's an idiot.

Treat her as such.

ReputationRep:
    I think this thread demonstrates that class as a concept is largely outmoded - thus your flatmate is an idiot, and should be told as much.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 1, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.