Turn on thread page Beta

New flatmate has made me feel very uncomfortable - wealth and politics watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Speak like the guy from Gap Yah. That would be hilarious.
    If you haven't seen it

ReputationRep:
    lol at people from private schools that say that they get no money from the government so are skint just ask your parents for the money they would have been paying on school fees also i'd agree with the girl it is more difficult to succeed in a state school compared to a private school if it were just as difficult to succeed in a private school then it would render them useless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Social class has very little to do with money. I've met a millionaire who would describe himself as working class - he'd probably even describe his job as working class (had his own small business, related to the building trade - often did manual work himself) - and I would be inclined to agree with him. I, on the other hand, am young and fairly skint - and I'd consider myself solidly middle class.

What social class is this fellow, to your mind, then?

I know you can't reduce class down to simplistic measures of income (I am studying sociology after all!)

I am well aware of the complex concepts of class (involving culture, values, wealth, inheritance, income, job, power relations at work, ascribed status, ownership of means of production, education etc) Weberian and Marxian definitions of class, and the more modern definitions of Class such as the NS-SEC as used by the Office of National Statistics.

But for simplicity's sake: the claim by the OP's nightmare flatmate that "if you earn over 80k you're middle class" - if we're assuming a simplistic measure of class on income - shocked me because it was such a high income to draw the line at.

Edit: Michael Carroll is a member of the Underclass; he may be wealthy, (well not so much anymore) - but he didn't earn that wage through contribution to society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reems)
    Beat her at her own game, get involved.

Spout conservative, free market rhetoric and claim that the lower classes are lazy and sponge from the state.
    This, entirely.
    Walk round with a copy of the wealth of nations and randomly interrupt her with quotes. whatever she's talking about. If she's discussing the most recent coronation street (as i hear females do) - BAM! you're in with a quote.
    also, wear this Tshirt.
    http://rlv.zcache.com/milton_friedma...71q6ws_400.jpg

underneath your jack wills hoody, obviously.

ReputationRep:
    What an idiot your flatmate is. Be proud of your beliefs and stand up to the undoubted raving left-wing feminist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    You mean this? I believe the correct term is being a **** head.

HAH! omg this is the hilarious. So funny but so true!!

ReputationRep:
    80k is definitely middle class, and private school is so middle class it's unreal. You aren't trying to claim to be working class with a private education are you? Don't be ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    looooooooooool her parents probably earn 40k a year and she thinks she's working class, not being funny but if you're parents earn over 30k a year then you're middle class, and you, you're upper class/posh just be happy about it.

oh yea it depends where you came from, if you grew up working class but managed to make a good living, then you're still working class, same as if you grew up posh then lost all you're money and had to live in a poor area you're still posh.

ReputationRep:
    £80,000 or over = middle class? :confused:

Surely it's far less than that you need to earn to be middle class? Nobody I know has an income of anything near that, but they're all middle class, so her £80,000 benchmark is ********, because you can earn alot less than that and still be very middle class.

ReputationRep:
    Is it both parents earning £80k?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacktri)
    lol at people from private schools that say that they get no money from the government so are skint just ask your parents for the money they would have been paying on school fees also i'd agree with the girl it is more difficult to succeed in a state school compared to a private school if it were just as difficult to succeed in a private school then it would render them useless
    omg, yeah, I bet they totally didn't think of that already :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sponge man)
    looooooooooool her parents probably earn 40k a year and she thinks she's working class, not being funny but if you're parents earn over 30k a year then you're middle class, and you, you're upper class/posh just be happy about it.

oh yea it depends where you came from, if you grew up working class but managed to make a good living, then you're still working class, same as if you grew up posh then lost all you're money and had to live in a poor area you're still posh.
    £30k a year is too low and closer to the average salary in this country overall. Thats still working class.

Most people regard middle class as being over £50-60k, both parents working or at least one working in a very senior professional occupation/successful business person and then you have the other distinct traits like sending your kids to private school, frugal (not stingy) attitude towards money amongst other cultural traditions and such.

ReputationRep:
    Just leave her to talk, she'll make a fool of herself more often than not and everyone will become sick of her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I moved into university last week and didn't know anyone I am living with. There's one girl who I haven't seen very much since I've been here, but I only spoke to her properly today and she made me feel really uncomfortable.

One of the first things she said was that she was an avid Labour supporter. Obviously there's nothing wrong with that, we're all entitled to our own opinions and I didn't mention where I stand politically because I didn't want things to be awkward between us right from the offset.

She then announced that the Conservatives steal money from the poor by taking away all of their benefits. Again, I chose not to say anything because I didn't want to get mixed up in politics. Then she claimed that there shouldn't be private schools, as the pupils who go there don't have to work as hard as state school pupils, and that private school parents will give their children enough money to let them do what they want to do anyway.

Next she said that the class system in the UK was really obvious, and that if you, or your parents, earn more than £80,000 a year, then you're middle class.

Here's where it becomes awkward: I have been private schooled my entire life and I feel I have worked hard to get where I am. My parents earn more than £80,000 a year and have also worked hard to achieve that and they have been fortunate enough to be successful. I don't consider myself to be middle class, though, nor do I think that earning a certain amount of money makes you middle class. I think it's more about how you act and carry yourself. I don't think many people are middle class anyway.

Sorry, I've gone off point. It's just made me really feel uneasy around her. I feel like she's looking down her nose at me because she sees her life as being more 'real' than mine. She also keeps pushing her beliefs and talks over me if what I say opposes her.

Obviously I'm going to try to avoid talking about such things with her to avoid confrontation, but I'm worried that if she's so opinionated already, what will she be like when the kitchen gets a bit messy or something?

TSR, I'm just asking about how I can deal with someone like her? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.
    I met someone,who had a real bee in his bonnet about the middle classes, saw himself as proper working class. Turned out he lived in a very rich street ,mum and dad were professionals ,and really despite all the bluster had zero understanding of the working man.

The girl you describe above,sounds like the uni girls back in the 80's during the miners strikes,who were shagging the miners because they wanted to show how cool and trendy they were by having a pet miner to show off to their rich commie friends.And that they totally 'get' the working classes.

Fact is Labour are no longer the party that looks after the working man. Politics in this country is just two parties competing over a very small scrap of ground. The libdems arent even worth talking about now. Labour showed their true colours in the years they were in power. They wanted power more than their priniciples. But they aren't any worse than the lib dems or the tories.

Politicians care for themselves first,and until the British people rise up and have them and the other liberal left swinging from lamposts ,nothing will change. Just tell her, her party is redundant and laugh in her face for thinking otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    She has a point, in a hyperbolic, generalised fashion.

ReputationRep:
    Its got nothing to do with money. David bechkam is working class despite earning loads of money. Theres nothing wrong with be working class and working class arnt on benefits they "work". ITs the underclass who are the benefit scum. Also very few people are actually upper class. To be upper class you would have to be born into seriouse money and probably own an estate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ministerdonut)
    I met someone,who had a real bee in his bonnet about the middle classes, saw himself as proper working class. Turned out he lived in a very rich street ,mum and dad were professionals ,and really despite all the bluster had zero understanding of the working man.

The girl you describe above,sounds like the uni girls back in the 80's during the miners strikes,who were shagging the miners because they wanted to show how cool and trendy they were by having a pet miner to show off to their rich commie friends.And that they totally 'get' the working classes.

Fact is Labour are no longer the party that looks after the working man. Politics in this country is just two parties competing over a very small scrap of ground. The libdems arent even worth talking about now. Labour showed their true colours in the years they were in power. They wanted power more than their priniciples. But they aren't any worse than the lib dems or the tories.

Politicians care for themselves first,and until the British people rise up and have them and the other liberal left swinging from lamposts ,nothing will change. Just tell her, her party is redundant and laugh in her face for thinking otherwise.
    90% of the people on here don't know the meaning of "working class". When you live in the true ghetto, your parents truly struggle for money, have a mixture of true blue collar and white collar friends for want of a better term, and not just claim to be working class just because you address your mate Crispin as "bruv", then you know. I know PLENTY of middle class people that claim to be working class or act as if they are. I straddle the poor/educated bracket so I win all ends up

ReputationRep:
    I agree with her views. I'm not poor, I've been to a private boarding school, I come from a middle class family and I myself have a pretty good job now. I don't think it was given to me on a plate, I work hard for what I get and so did my family. Although the good education did help but it's not really fair to hate for that reason.
    She's just jealous, leave her be. You'll always meet people you don't get on with, why do you have to be her friend anyway? Keep on good terms as a hi and bye person but keep your distance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)

Edit: Michael Carroll is a member of the Underclass; he may be wealthy, (well not so much anymore) - but he didn't earn that wage through contribution to society.
    Now he's swallowing his pride and working as a bin man to support his kid, hat off to him I say in that respect, underclass or not,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknown demon)
    £30k a year is too low and closer to the average salary in this country overall. Thats still working class.
    This whole argument is completely subjective and largely pointless; the amount of money you earn has very little to do with your class when taken out of context; for instance someone who went to public school, had well off parents and came from a 'middle-class' background doesn't suddenly become working class because they start out in a graduate job paying ~30K (in fact that's a very good starting salary for a grad).

Similarly, I would still describe Alan Sugar as working class more than anything else despite the fact he is worth nearly a billion and is a member of the House of Lords.

Anyway OP, I tend to just smile and nod politely when you get fairly extreme left wingers ranting at you - there is no way you can win the argument because it doesn't matter how logical or coherent your points are, they will just say EVIL EVIL CAPITALIST PLANET KILLING SCUM (and I'm not even slightly right wing) which kills off all debate.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 1, 2010
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.