Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hay, Ive recently started doing squats. Should it be expected that knees will hurt during the exercises? I'm fairly sure that my form is correct.

Serious posts only please, Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I have never experienced even the slightest of pain while doing the movement. I am no expert so I can't really tell you anything more. Where is the site of the pain? Is it acute?

ReputationRep:
    Its pretty much just general pain around the knee. It was my first set of squats and felt unatural. Looking back now I guess its just the muscles taking additional strain they're now used to. I'd like to think that is the case anyway. Are knees built to take that kind of strain? i'm a footballer, and if they sustained an injurey i'd be f*****

ReputationRep:
    Basic squats with no additional weight? you haven't recently been bedridden? You don't have arthritis? No, it's not normal. Muscle ache, yes, but your joints should be fine. If you play football, surely you perform squats at some point during training? In any case, ask your coach to check your technique. If you have a physio, ask him/her to check you over for signs of injury.

ReputationRep:
    If it isn't muscle pain and is definitely your joints, then the only thing I could think of is whether you are maintaining form? ie; don't initiate the rep with your knees, use your hips, making sure your knees are in line with your toes throughout the rep etc.

ReputationRep:
    I had pain in my left knee before I started. I have only ever had pain in my knee whilst actually doing squats once, for an unknown reason. The pain in my left knee has almost completely gone; it just comes back every now and then and to a much lesser extent than it used to be.

ReputationRep:
    I get cracking and pain in my knees if I squat with my feet too close together, try it with your feet farther apart.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry mate but knee pains aren't normal in squats. You should only feel pain/stress in muscles not in your knees. You might be using the wrong technique. Make sure you aren't squatting on your toes. Pressure should only be applied to the heels. When you push up, drive up from your heels. When you come down, come down on your heels, not on your toes. Check out as many websites/videos to get the right technique. It's a great exercise but only when practised with the right technique

ReputationRep:
    ive recently had a knee operation to repair/replace cartilage in my knee but never got pain whilst squatting, see a doctor

ReputationRep:
    don't see a doctor yet: post a video of yourself squatting. Also look up Dan John's video on the squat on google video.

ReputationRep:
    "Squats don't hurt your knees" ...ok.. doing something wrong. haha. Im joining a new gym soon. I'll ask someone to look a my form there. I have a feeling i'm leaning to far forward. cheers for the replys guys.

ReputationRep:
    Take your normal stance but push your knees out to the side. If this doesn't work, look up proper technique. If that doesn't work I'd lay off the squats for the moment.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.