Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't use anything which would permanently harm them, or their eyes.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Don't know if it's already been said, but I was always told to have your keys out and put a key between your fingers so if you punch someone you stab them with the key as well. And if you're wearing heels you should stamp as hard as you can on someones foot as it's quite easy to break the bones and hurts like hell.

ReputationRep:
    Urm deodorant? Spray it in eyes or erm a nail scissors? :erm:

ReputationRep:
    A didldo. If a man sees that he will **** himself and stay the **** away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scott8anthony)
    A magnet.
    You made me smile the most.
    Well played.

4 strength 4 stam' leather belt.

ReputationRep:
    I don't there is anything you can legally carry that would count as even a 'good' self-defence item, let alone best. It's pretty much illegal to defend yourself in this country.

ReputationRep:
    My mascara.

ReputationRep:
    A bomb.

ReputationRep:
    A little booklet on self defence

Come on OP, its not like you can unzip your bag and look for your desired item whilst getting attacked.
    You should attend a few Self-defence classes and carry a booklet...then you can really protect yourself and those around you. A wise person speaks

ReputationRep:
    If it's a n00b just tell him your on his team, then HE that mofo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwwhty)
    You can use hairspray or any aerosol based product to spray them in the eyes. If you have lots of keys, maybe lash them with them.

This is all academic though as an attack could be over before you even have chance to get in to your handbag.

The best self defence is to avoid putting yourself in vulnerable situations in the first place. You see people on Crimewatch and a lot of them getting attacked late at night when walking alone. Okay, some people do get attacked in broad daylight but you significantly increase your chances of being attacked by placing yourself in vulnerable situations like that.

The key thing is awareness, be aware of what is going on around you at all times. It doesn't mean you won't get attacked, but at the very least they will lose their element of surprise which could give you valuable seconds to escape. Moreover, if you look like you're switcehd on and know what's going on around you, they might pass you over for a more vulnerable victim.

I've lost count of the amount of times I've walked past people in the street who have their earphones in listening to music and are completely oblivious to what is going on around them. I could attack them from behind and have them down on the floor and be kicking the crap out of them before they even know what's happening. I've been attacked from behind twice and let me tell you, it happens very quick.
    :lolwut: How did this thread title deliver that? :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Why bother using the items in your bag, use your bag. If someone comes or you from the front, throw your bag in their face. Their immediate reaction will be to protect their face, this gives you at least a couple of seconds for you next move, which btw I suggest is run.

ReputationRep:
    Ammonia solution? Blind those suckas!

Don't look if you're queasy!
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vexper)
    :lolwut: How did this thread title deliver that? :facepalm:
    I was illustrating how it is false security to think that having improvised weapons in your handbag will make much of a difference in an attack situation. You could have a sub machine gun in your handbag but it wouldn't make any difference if you were walking around completely switched off; with your head in the clouds and Ipod earphones in your ears. If you're attacked from behind or by surprise, you'll never have the time to go rooting through a handbag looking for a weapon and from my experience, girls have A LOT of things in their handbags.

The OP wanted self-defence advice and that's what I gave her. It might not be humurous or entertaining (there's plenty of people who have demonstrated those traits in their replies already) but it's good practical advice, that if taken, will reduce her chances of becoming another statistic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chinaberry)
    I wouldn't use anything which would permanently harm them, or their eyes.
    Why not? I doubt they would be so considerate with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemical_bex)
    If i'm walking at night time, i walk with my keys in my hand...:ninja:
    I do this too! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Easy, hairspray!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwwhty)
    Why not? I doubt they would be so considerate with you.
    Why would I want to be as horrible as them?
    I wouldn't forgive myself if I screwed up someone's eyes. Honestly, I don't think I'd ever really trust myself. Yes they're attacking me, and yes it would be scary, but I'd rather get something else just as effective. Judo moves rather than pain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Statistically, your attacker will be black.

Black people love KFC.

Although, perhaps HAVING the KFC in your bag would be like provocation.
    I'm black, I'd just eat it:rolleyes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.