Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So... theoretically (I hope), if you start your first year of a degree and end up dropping out early on, say a week or a month into the course, what's the financial situation? Do you have to pay for accommodation for the rest of the term/year? And will it still count as one of the years that student finance loans you the money for, or can you start afresh if you've paid all of the loan back?

ReputationRep:
    Where I'm at, you can terminate your residence contract early, but you still have to pay until the end of the current billing period (there are 3 billing periods and the first one ends in late December). If you can find someone to take over your room, then you should be able to get out of the contract without being liable for the rest of the billing period.

The first tuition fee instalment will be made in February if you're in attendance on December 1st (you might want to recheck the dates). If you drop out before that then no fees will be paid to the university and it will be like you've never received funding for tuition fees so you can freely apply again next year. However, the university may demand that you pay for the time you were enrolled (this varies by university and not all require it).

ReputationRep:
    At the university I was going to Accommodation money didn't go out until mid october and Fees for the year didn't go out until January so all I had to give back was the money they sent to my bank account and to get my deposit back. So you'll have to find out when accommodation payment goes out and course fees I'd assume.

ReputationRep:
    Be positive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peregrinum)
    x
    (Original post by Spinnerette)
    x
    Thanks, both very helpful. :yep:

(Original post by Cicerao)
    Be positive.
    I'm trying to :p: I'm just having slight doubts/panic about the course I'm applying for, so I figured I'll go for it as I'll probably find my doubts are allayed and I'll love it, but I'd have the option to drop out early on and reapply for the next year if I found it wasn't what I thought it would be.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.