Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i need help on my ib math portfolio on infinite summations thats due at the end of the week.!

ReputationRep:
    I just finished mine. What specifically do you need help with, since actual results may not be discussed.

ReputationRep:
    I'm about 3/4 way done, up to the testing the validity etc., and I'm finding it extremely easy. Is this bad? I mean, for me, it just seems like you're plugging values into the equation and finding the relationship of the 2 variables the paper states from the graph. Not hard at all. I'm a little frightened I'm doing it wrongly, haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -ambrosia-)
    I'm about 3/4 way done, up to the testing the validity etc., and I'm finding it extremely easy. Is this bad? I mean, for me, it just seems like you're plugging values into the equation and finding the relationship of the 2 variables the paper states from the graph. Not hard at all. I'm a little frightened I'm doing it wrongly, haha!
    Well I also found it to be straightforward. The only thing I am concerned about is the formal proof. I justified and explained how I got the general statement, but it's not really a formal proof.

Btw what points are you going to consider for scope and limitation, apart from the more obvious ones like the domain of the ln functions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel3)
    Well I also found it to be straightforward. The only thing I am concerned about is the formal proof. I justified and explained how I got the general statement, but it's not really a formal proof.

Btw what points are you going to consider for scope and limitation, apart from the more obvious ones like the domain of the ln functions?
    Well, I don't think it's really possible to come up with a non-empirical proof (one not ascertained from the data). After all, the general statement is pretty obvious after doing all the tables and graphs. So it's probably not expected, I wouldn't worry too much on that one

For the scope and limitation, not entirely sure, I can't think of much else except the domain. Try and find certain numbers that the equation won't work with, I guess. That's still the domain though :P

ReputationRep:
    And what is actually the topic of this portfolio?

ReputationRep:
    Well, I don't think it's really possible to come up with a non-empirical proof (one not ascertained from the data). After all, the general statement is pretty obvious after doing all the tables and graphs. So it's probably not expected, I wouldn't worry too much on that one

For the scope and limitation, not entirely sure, I can't think of much else except the domain. Try and find certain numbers that the equation won't work with, I guess. That's still the domain though :P
    BTW there is a formal proof. I figured it out, but since it was already due I don't think it's gonna help you

ReputationRep:
    Ahh ok, so do you think I would obtain lesser marks if I do not include the formal proof?

ReputationRep:
    Ahh ok, so do you think I would obtain lesser marks if I do not include the formal proof?
    Well, when I was done i went through all the criteria. For one criteria it states for level 4-5 one has attempted to come up with a formal proof.

ReputationRep:
    guys please help me,
    I'm doing the same portfolio but I don't know how to do the second page when the T9 thingy comes up... I just don't know how to find it! I'm using TI-83+ calculator and it's program on PC for graphs and everything.
    I used the STAT table for the first page.. when you can define L1, L2, L3 and so on..
    Please help me with the second page!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel3)
    I just finished mine. What specifically do you need help with, since actual results may not be discussed.

Could you actually tell me what they want from me (Page 2), when they say: "Continue with this analysis to find the general statement for Tn (a,x) as n approaches infinity"?

I don't understand that part at all.

I've got 6 graphs of Sn against X for different values of a.

They are all (roughly) exponential. The common ration always equals a, but I can't answer the question above and also how to test the validity of the statement.

Help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_13th)
    Could you actually tell me what they want from me (Page 2), when they say: "Continue with this analysis to find the general statement for Tn (a,x) as n approaches infinity"?

I don't understand that part at all.

I've got 6 graphs of Sn against X for different values of a.

They are all (roughly) exponential. The common ration always equals a, but I can't answer the question above and also how to test the validity of the statement.

Help.
    just try out different values. Besides, you've nailed it anyway. There is an exponential relationship, thus the general statement is a to the power x.

For the validity part there is mainly one thing. Let me give you a hint: DOMAIN OF THE LN FUNCTION

(Rep is always appreciated)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel3)
    just try out different values. Besides, you've nailed it anyway. There is an exponential relationship, thus the general statement is a to the power x.

For the validity part there is mainly one thing. Let me give you a hint: DOMAIN OF THE LN FUNCTION

(Rep is always appreciated)
    Thank you, sir. Here you are :gthumb: you've got +1 on your reply now. Enjoy!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing this exact thing OMG. So this is so scary. For the general statement, do they want an actual proof, like an equation like i dont get that part at all? I thought it was just in words describing what you did and like drawing conclusions like PLEASE HELP ME what are somet tips im freaking out its my first ia

ReputationRep:
    I need help as well! when they ask me to explain relation between Sn and n how do i describe the the relation?
    please someone help me! thank youu!!

ReputationRep:
    what im trying to figure out .. here .. does the statement a^x where x= negative numbers works or not?

and what are the limitations you guys found? any 1 can list them?

plz plz help me ..

ReputationRep:
    first of all, I suggest you to join IBSurvival (http://www.ibsurvival.com) and ask us there! people are friendly and I am one of the great helpers

I have posted A LOT of clues on IBS, so go there and check them out!! if you have questions, post them there and I will surely answer.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.