Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Have you guys left a line in between the paragraphs of your PS?

I don't know whether to do it or not! If I do it eats up 5 lines and it's 3 lines too long.

ReputationRep:
    my head of year told me not to. is there an adviser at school you can ask?

ReputationRep:
    I was told it was better. Makes it look neater and easier to read. Plus could you imagine this scenario....

Admission person reads a bunch of personal statements during one evening. During which she or he comes across two types of personal statements. The ones were there are gaps between paragraphs and the ones that don't have gaps.

Now imagine she or he's got 20 minutes left and the last 10 personal statement they've read all had gaps and were neat, and then came across your one without gaps and all together. Might put her in a bad mood

Anyway, that's how I think of it, which is why I'm going to leave gaps in my one

ReputationRep:
    Warwick, on the open day, said to have paragraphs - but I also have this problem, and I can't find anything to cut out
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Troubled_Student)
    Warwick, on the open day, said to have paragraphs - but I also have this problem, and I can't find anything to cut out
    I can have a go at it if you want? PM it to me... I'm starting uni on saturday so don't worry I won't use it!

ReputationRep:
    I saw someone (I can't remember their name, but thank you if it was you! :p:) post on here a while ago saying to think of a PS like TSR - do you prefer reading OPs which are great big long chunks of text or ones where it's spilt up into smaller easy-to-read paragraphs? I'm sure you can answer this for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    I think this line issue should not matter. Admission tutors are aware of the character and line limits, and so should understand that applicants have more to say than would fit. All that matters is how much enthusiasm and insight you can demonstrate in your personal statement about your subject.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't. I know some people on here implore you to, and go on about "making a good impression" and whatnot, but then again there are others where their entire school didn't and nothing untoward happened. Personally, I can't imagine their entire decision resting on just some vague first impression of the statement, and I'd rather have the five lines. (especially since most of my lines end near the start of the line and so the end of the paragraphs is pretty clear).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshW7)

I don't know whether to do it or not! If I do it eats up 5 lines and it's 3 lines too long.

Surely if it's 3 lines too long UCAS wont let you submit it, not leaving much choice?

My personal statement had paragraphs but no spacing lines, and I got an Oxbridge offer so it can't be that much of a problem.

Edit: I've just realised that sounds really pretentious, I only mentioned that it was an Oxbridge offer because of this forum so I assume you're asking whether it will matter to Oxbridge tutors!

ReputationRep:
    But surely an admissions tutor would value the extra 5 lines of information - in helping them decide whether they would want to admit you - more than its aesthetic appeal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student4562)
    Surely if it's 3 lines too long UCAS wont let you submit it, not leaving much choice?

My personal statement had paragraphs but no spacing lines, and I got an Oxbridge offer so it can't be that much of a problem.

Edit: I've just realised that sounds really pretentious, I only mentioned that it was an Oxbridge offer because of this forum so I assume you're asking whether it will matter to Oxbridge tutors!
    Yes, I'm applying for PPE at Oxford.

It's only 3 lines too long when I factor in the line spacing between the paragraphs. Without the spacing, I'm two lines inside the limit - which gives me scope to add to in the next few days.

(Original post by T-o dore)
    I can have a go at it if you want? PM it to me... I'm starting uni on saturday so don't worry I won't use it!
    Just to let you know, i got slammed by a mod earlier for offering exactly this. I'm not sying not to do it, I'm just warning you that people may not respond well!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I'm applying for PPE at Oxford.

It's only 3 lines too long when I factor in the line spacing between the paragraphs. Without the spacing, I'm two lines inside the limit - which gives me scope to add to in the next few days.
    Ahh that's what I applied for too!
    Well yeah I'd recommend using the extra lines to make your PS better than using them for spaces. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    One question pops in my mind when thinking about PS formatting.

With UCAS offering no formatting and there being no larger line spaces between paragraphs, will a completely filled personal statement be seen by the admission tutors in that raw condition? Sometimes it's not even possible to tell if a line starts a new paragraph. Do universities have automatic formatting programs that put larger line spaces between paragraphs?

ReputationRep:
    But surely an admissions tutor would value the extra 5 lines of information - in helping them decide whether they would want to admit you - more than its aesthetic appeal.

But they're reading hundreds and hundreds of near identical personal statements. They won't read your personal statement properly if it's just a solid wall of text.

ReputationRep:
    I made an effort to add line breaks and managed, with just a 100 wasted characters.
    It really does look much better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambo211)
    But they're reading hundreds and hundreds of near identical personal statements. They won't read your personal statement properly if it's just a solid wall of text.
    But it's not going to be a solid wall of text, since there'll be gaps where lines end before the next paragraph starts, just without a whole line gap, which I think looks perfectly readable, especially if it's being read by somebody, who, as you say, is very used to reading such things and digesting them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambo211)
    So perhaps the logical thing to do would be to end the paragraph near the beginning or middle of the line, so it is clear where the paragraphs end, and they don't flow into one another...

ReputationRep:
    I found it that when I was trying to cut down my personal statement to leave spaces, it was actually also really useful for cutting out waffle and making it as concise as possible. I thought I definatly had nothing to cut out too, but I was wrong! Two birds with one stone really.

ReputationRep:

That's funny cos I was wondering the same question, initially I had a big block of text with no paragraph and it just looked so boring!
    It didn't flow well either, so I decided to sacrifice some of my lines to make room for paragraphhs and now have like 3999 characters and 47 lines!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.