Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    why dont you just indent the lines, hence less lines wasted. Im going to do that. When i get to writing my personal statement lol

ReputationRep:
    OP, I recommend you leave lines between paragraphs. It's a lot more neat really. But if you think two paragraphs flow together easily and don necessarily need a paragraph break, then merge them together. It might save a line or two.

(Original post by Silent Man)
    Might put her in a bad mood
    I love how you assumed the admissions tutor was female and in a bad mood. I lol'd

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikita_atikin)
    OP, I recommend you leave lines between paragraphs. It's a lot more neat really. But if you think two paragraphs flow together easily and don necessarily need a paragraph break, then merge them together. It might save a line or two.

I love how you assumed the admissions tutor was female and in a bad mood. I lol'd
    I know I know, I'm sorry. I have this image of them all being females in their 40s, I don't know why :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slacker07906)
    why dont you just indent the lines, hence less lines wasted. Im going to do that. When i get to writing my personal statement lol
    Can't. Tried. Bloody UCAS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silent Man)
    I know I know, I'm sorry. I have this image of them all being females in their 40s, I don't know why
    Haha lol you don't have to be sorry! I did lol anyway it's weird because I keep thinking all admissions tutors are 60 year old males. I think they're ancient really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikita_atikin)

Honestly, I don't think I can. I've already cut it back by 500 characters, I can't do it anymore.

Perhaps it will affect their mindset when reading it.. but I think that might be doing these academics a bit of a disservice. Besides, the breaks will be clear from where the line ends.

ReputationRep:
    Sigh. Read my profile.

(Original post by Troubled_Student)
    Ignore the person who asked you to send your PS to him for a review. The worst thing you can possibly do is send your PS to a stranger on the internet. Unless you want to live up to your username when accused by UCAS of plagiarism, of course. Instead, get a review from the TSR PS help service, in confidence and perfectly safely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshW7)
    But surely an admissions tutor would value the extra 5 lines of information - in helping them decide whether they would want to admit you - more than its aesthetic appeal.
    An admissions tutor will not enjoy reading your personal statement if it is poorly presented; this really will not help your application. They will be impressed much more by a cadidate with the common sense and courtesy to make their personal statement clear.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by vintage_007)
    Just to let you know, i got slammed by a mod earlier for offering exactly this. I'm not sying not to do it, I'm just warning you that people may not respond well!
    Fine! Up to you!

ReputationRep:
    Leave lines, it makes it much easier to read. An admissions tutor wont appreciate having to read a solid block of text; no one does!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    It makes it soooooo much easier to read, and the admissions tutors like people who make their life easy. A few rephrases here, a careful cut there, you can make it up easily

ReputationRep:
    I did not last time, and will not this time. I mean the admissions will be more impressed if you write something useful in the 4 lines rather than use them as gaps with no information in whatsoever :facepalm:.... surely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grape:))
    surely?
    Surely not, actually. Read my profile and BJack's post above to understand why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Surely not, actually. Read my profile and BJack's post above to understand why.
    That's odd. Because our progressions team tells us that it would be 'idiotic' to use spare lines as gaps :confused:

ReputationRep:
    It would be idiotic not to. Quality not quantity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grape:))
    That's odd. Because our progressions team tells us that it would be 'idiotic' to use spare lines as gaps :confused:
    It isn't that odd. Schools frequently give poor advice when it comes to UCAS applications: appropriate subjects to take, how to complete the application, what information to declare, how to write a PS, even English grammar are all grist to the misinformation mill.

What is more relevant is that not a single admissions tutor I have spoken to (and I have spoken to quite a few) likes reading wall-of-text statements. One of them, at a wel-respected university in the north of England, felt dso strongly that she went as far as saying (though not entirely seriously) that she guaranteed an interview to those that were properly spaced as an expression of her relief. I'm not aware of any TSR PS helper that would recommend having a wall-of-text PS.

ReputationRep:
    can some one please have a look at my personal statement and give me some advice ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefany-a)
    can some one please have a look at my personal statement and give me some advice ?
    Never give your PS to a stranger on the internet. Post it in the PS help forum for a confidential (and safe) review by a TSR PS helper.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm facing the same problem here. I do acknowledge paragraphs look nice and tidy but also do acknowledge that the PS is mainly a tool of giving information about yourself, what you've done and what you want to do and why.

I currently have 3999 characters after severe cut offs from nice phrases and constructions, etc, and 49bloody lines So if I do not manage to somehow reach the 47 limit, I'm sending it with no gaps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    It isn't that odd. Schools frequently give poor advice when it comes to UCAS applications: appropriate subjects to take, how to complete the application, what information to declare, how to write a PS, even English grammar are all grist to the misinformation mill.

What is more relevant is that not a single admissions tutor I have spoken to (and I have spoken to quite a few) likes reading wall-of-text statements. One of them, at a wel-respected university in the north of England, felt dso strongly that she went as far as saying (though not entirely seriously) that she guaranteed an interview to those that were properly spaced as an expression of her relief. I'm not aware of any TSR PS helper that would recommend having a wall-of-text PS.
    Okay thanks, I'll keep that in mind :p: (I hope you don't think I set out to argue, I just assumed my college weren't stupid :rolleyes: )

Cheers

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.