Turn on thread page Beta

Samsung LCD tv signal problems - ITV and '4' channels watch

ReputationRep:
    Had this tv for 9 months and suddenly (past 3 days) I've had serious signal problems with ITV channels, 4, E4 etc. Picture goes blocky and stuttery. Checked the 'self diagnosis' thing and the error rate is high on these channels, compared to zero on the others.

Checked the ariel etc. Everything seems fine.

Anyone had similar probs? How to fix?

ReputationRep:
    There could be two reasons why this is happening:
    1.) the tuner in your TV is broken, so you will have to take it back to the store and let them repair it which can take up to 28 days
    2.) and this is the most likely cause: because of the digital switchover in 2012, there has been loads of interference with digital receivers. You could have been getting great signal one day and rubbish the next; and yes, even after 9 months.
    Do you have any other TV's in the house? See how they are working, bearing in mind that all tuners are different (and if you have a 22" samsung tv and your larger is something of a lesser-known brand, then the samsung will have a better tuner believe it or not!)
    *sorry just remembered that the title said samsung haha ignore the last part

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JecAL)
    1.) the tuner in your TV is broken, so you will have to take it back to the store and let them repair it which can take up to 28 days
    2.) and this is the most likely cause: because of the digital switchover in 2012, there has been loads of interference with digital receivers. You could have been getting great signal one day and rubbish the next; and yes, even after 9 months.
    Do you have any other TV's in the house? See how they are working, bearing in mind that all tuners are different (and if you have a 22" samsung tv and your larger is something of a lesser-known brand, then the samsung will have a better tuner believe it or not!)
    Thanks.

I frickin' hope it's not (1) as I got it from Amazon. That'll be an ass to sort out.

Other tv's in the house are fine.

If it was the tuner in the tv, wouldnt' it affect all channels and not just ITV/4?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdaD)
    Thanks.

I frickin' hope it's not (1) as I got it from Amazon. That'll be an ass to sort out.

Other tv's in the house are fine.

If it was the tuner in the tv, wouldnt' it affect all channels and not just ITV/4?
    1) Agh, Amazon. They are usually OK

Tuners are stupid things. it could be that the signals for those particular stations were getting the weakest signal anyway, and they were the first few to be 'sacrificed'. The channel that always stays on tuner-problem TV's is Dave...
    Btw im not a freakisk TV person, I worked at Currys customer services for my gap year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JecAL)
    The first point is codswallop. Yes, flat panel sets are unreliable, but it is very rarely that the tuner will break. Usually it is the PSU or the display technology that breaks.

By far the most common cause of this fault is an insufficient or a broken aerial installation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AidanLunn)
    The first point is codswallop. Yes, flat panel sets are unreliable, but it is very rarely that the tuner will break. Usually it is the PSU or the display technology that breaks.

By far the most common cause of this fault is an insufficient or a broken aerial installation.
    Codswallop? It is a technical piece of equipment, therefore it can go wrong. If you could invent a tuner that never wen't wrong, you'd be richer than goo brownies. :rolleyes:
    We always suggest to the customer that the aerial may be at fault; so they get them tested. (i'm at uni now so no longer work there, but plenty of TV's that we sent away for those faults came back and-on the service sheet-guess what they replaced? Those customer's didnt come back. Could have been the tuner, could be the dodgy signal. Who knows.)
    Plus, if you read the thread, the other TV in the house is working. So it isn't the aerial anyway.
    And try telling someone that their aerial is broken, pay to have that sorted, when it WAS actually the tuner.
    Geezus

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JecAL)
    Codswallop? It is a technical piece of equipment, therefore it can go wrong. If you could invent a tuner that never wen't wrong, you'd be richer than goo brownies. :rolleyes:
    We always suggest to the customer that the aerial may be at fault; so they get them tested. (i'm at uni now so no longer work there, but plenty of TV's that we sent away for those faults came back and-on the service sheet-guess what they replaced? Those customer's didnt come back. Could have been the tuner, could be the dodgy signal. Who knows.)
    Plus, if you read the thread, the other TV in the house is working. So it isn't the aerial anyway.
    And try telling someone that their aerial is broken, pay to have that sorted, when it WAS actually the tuner.
    Geezus
    Yeah, it can go wrong, but the chances of it doing so are so tiny that it's not even worth considering, therefore I can state with assurance that it is very unlikely to be a faulty tuner chip. In fact, if the tuner isn''t working, it's more likely to be a problem with the PSU, which can annd do go wrong regularly in flat panel TVs and end-of-the-line CRTs.

I've worked in an electronics repair shop and aerial installation company for 4 years of my life. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about!

And when I meant aerial, like mmost other pros, I was talking about the AERIAL INSTALLATION, which includes everything from the aerial down to the aerial port on the wall of the room that the TV is in.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, don't know if this may help with diagnosis - I bought a Samsung LED 32 inch Smart TV last week, at Currys. Installed it in my bedroom with no problems, tuned in to 100+ channels. Worked ok for four days, but a bit slow, and streamed films over the wifi wouldn't work. Then yesterday it lost the tuning of all channels slowly over about an hour. I've got two other TVs, both running off the same aerial without any problems, so I thought the tuner must have broken. I switched it off and left it for three hours, switched it back on and it was fine again.

Anyway, I took it back to Currys today, complaining that the tuner must have broken, and they switched it straight away with no fuss.
    Brought the new one home, went through the 'Plug and Play' setup, and it wouldn't tune to any channels except about 10 BBC related ones! Tried five times, no use. So I was cursing Samsung for their poor quality tuners, and preparing to take the second one back to Currys.

But after reading this forum, I thought I'd just try it first on the aerial socket in my lounge. As soon as I switched it on, picture was perfect. I went through the auto tune again, and this time - 135 channels, HD included! It turns out that the problem was in the cable I had between the aerial socket in the bedroom and the TV, nothing to do with the tuner at all! My new TV is faster at streaming films though
    So maybe Samsung tuners aren't all that bad - sorry Samsung!

ReputationRep:
    My Samsung TV (LT27B551) worked OK for years but recently it stopped showing ITV (normal and plus 1), Channel 4, 6 and Film Four on Channel 15. Almost all other channels are OK. My daughter has an identical Samsung TV in her flat 5 miles away. She tells me her TV has stopped showing ITV and related channels too, All the BBC channels are fine and other TV's in my home work OK. I don't know why there is a weakness in these tuners. I am an electrical engineering lecturer in the local university bye the way. I know how 'normal' tuners work (I teach the principles) but I imagine there is some Samsung software involved here wherein the problem lies. I tried re-tuning , re-installation etc. but with no success! I would agree that the basic tuner hardware itself should be just about bomb proof. It is pretty simple. I would like to know how I can re-boot the software.

ReputationRep:
    My TV loses the ITV and Encore channels for a few minutes each day between 2pm and 4pm. It is not the TV itself as It happens to others in the house. I use Sky and All other channels work at this time. Something is really weird about the ITV signal even on Sky, it works fin on Freeview at the same time. (Checked via a portable tv). Would love to know what does it. Oh and its not the Sky box as we use 2 and both go off at the same time.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: June 21, 2016
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.