Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'll keep this brief but any help/advice that you can give would be REALLY appreciated.

I have been offered a room in two different locations in Oxford - Greenwood House, Staverton Road, Summertown (University College Accom) and Fulford House, Iffley Road (St.Hildas College Accom).

I cannot find any information about either of these properties and was therefore wondering if anyone had any information/opinions/experience of these that they would be happy to share with me.

Hoping somebody can help,

Thanks,

Wayne.

ReputationRep:
    If you could email me on [email protected] it would be really helpful as I can check this whilst in work.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wayne.Bateman)
    I have been offered a room in two different locations in Oxford - Greenwood House, Staverton Road, Summertown (University College Accom) and Fulford House, Iffley Road (St.Hildas College Accom).
    Don't have any experience of either of them, but maybe have a think about the locations? Summertown and Iffley Road are on different sides of Oxford, so one of them may be more convenient for reaching your relevant faculty/libraries.
    That said, if you've got a bike then it's not really a hassle to travel anywhere in Oxford.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I've visited the Staverton Road one - it's quite concretey with spacious well-equipped and recently refurbished kitchens (haven't been inside a room). You can see it from above on Google maps; it's the four grey buildings right on the corner where Staverton Road meets Woodstock Road. It would probably take twenty minutes or so to cycle into town (it's nice and close to Summertown for supermarkets, restaurants, banks etc. though).
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Fulford is one of those large 19th-century houses that have been converted into student accommodation. Mostly used for JYAs and a few finalists. The rooms vary in size, and the noise level depends on whether your room is facing the street or the garden. Back when I was there several years ago, it was a bit shabby, but it's been refurbished since then, to something which is OK, but nothing terribly special. It's not too far down Iffley Road, only about a 5-minute walk from Magdalen Bridge, so it's probably closer to the centre than the Summertown accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

Thank you so much for replying so quickly - I have both accommodation officers waiting for a response but I can't decide as both are equal distances from my college and my faculty.

Any further information etc would be great...especially regarding area and the accommodation itself.

Thanks again, W.

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

Thank you so much for replying so quickly - I have both accommodation officers waiting for a response but I can't decide as both are equal distances from my college and my faculty.

Any further information etc would be great...especially regarding area and the accommodation itself.

Thanks again, W.
    The Iffley Road area is a lot more exciting in the evening in terms of pubs\live music\going out than suburban North Oxford.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

Thanks again, W.
    Well, it would help if you could be a little bit more specific as to what kind of information you're actually after and what it is you're looking for.:erm:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks again all...to be more specific, I guess I am looking for an area that is safe and perhaps close to good running routes (river etc). As far as accommodation itself goes, the larger the room the better and I would prefer somewhere that is clean, good facilities and where it looks fresh - not somewhere that looks like it needs a refurb.

Hope this helps,W.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks again all...to be more specific, I guess I am looking for an area that is safe and perhaps close to good running routes (river etc). As far as accommodation itself goes, the larger the room the better and I would prefer somewhere that is clean, good facilities and where it looks fresh - not somewhere that looks like it needs a refurb.

Hope this helps,W.
    Iffley Road would probably be considered the less safe of the two, but I wouldn't be worried around there at all (or even much further up, though being a bloke means a lot less unwelcome attention).

Iffley Road would be convenient for running to the river, if you don't mind a bit of a run along a road to begin with.

ReputationRep:
    Im pretty sure Ive heard that parts of fulford house are pretty grotty, and it has slight damp/mould problems. From what Ive heard, its not the `fresh` looking place you're looking for. Also, I hear the room sized vary wildly. Id imagine all the bigger rooms have been taken up already, as the Hildas students actually get to pick the rooms they want.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.