Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

For a while now I've been feeling like me and my girlfriend are in love but we're not really compatible together. For example, she finds it near impossible to properly communicate with me on relationship stuff even though we've been going out for over a year and a half now. Whenever I do try talk to her about problems within the relationship she either keeps dodging the questions by saying stuff that isn't relevant or just keeps silent and doesn't talk to me. It's really annoying because I'm certain it's what is causing the breakdown of the relationship at the moment - we never get problems solved, only sweep them under the carpet but they eventually come back.

So I talked to her and told her what was going on in my head. The fact that it annoys me she feels like she can't open up even though we've been together so long or the fact that she, at times, has me really low on her priority list. You know, we live 10 minute walk away yet only see each other once a week. I try tell her I'd rather see her more and she said "Yes but once a week is enough" - I mean, she phrased it wrong I'm sure but you're not meant to say that? She says she's busy but then will see friends she saw the other day or day before over me who she hasn't seen in a week or whatever. Again, same thing happened, I was telling her this and she just kept silent and dodged the questions.

I was asking if she wanted to still be together and she kept saying "Well you seem to think I don't" and I just wanted her to say "yes". I know she does but I feel like she isn't ready for it, only that she wants to be in it. We're 18 years old but I want bit more of a "serious" relationship. Not everyone wants that at this age, I know, but I'm sad and angry at the same time because I love her a lot and she's my first love but at the same time how she is treating the situation is ridiculous. It's been two days since I talked to her and she hasn't contacted me once. I told her to decide if either to bail or open up to me and want to be part of this relationship in a real way. Although the day after on Facebook she's posting up about how she doesn't care about anything right now and just wants to party and drink. I mean, she's doing this not to face up to the reality of things but what the hell? Over a year and a half of a relationship and it boils down to this? That's what angers me, that it feels like she's throwing this away so easily.

ReputationRep:
    Throw her away then.

ReputationRep:
    She sounds like she isnt maturing. I had the same situation but opposite way around. People can be in love with the wrong people sometimes, I guess you just have to talk to her and see what she says about you thinking to end it as you want something more serious. I know its difficult to throw away, as that is why i suggest talking about it first. See her on her reaction, and see what happens from there. If she just wants to party and drink im sure she'll realise what she lost in the long run. Partying and drinking is pathetic in my opinion, and i would rather be settling down or starting too than doing that, even though I am only 17.

Sorry to hear about her acting like this. Must be hard.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i think bourne is done

ReputationRep:
    if she can't take you seriously then its just going to get worse.
    whatever happens good luck

ReputationRep:
    Maybe a break or splitting up will make her appreciate you more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrDoovde)
    yeah i think bourne is done
    :p:

(Original post by Jojo1993)
    She sounds like she isnt maturing. I had the same situation but opposite way around. People can be in love with the wrong people sometimes, I guess you just have to talk to her and see what she says about you thinking to end it as you want something more serious. I know its difficult to throw away, as that is why i suggest talking about it first. See her on her reaction, and see what happens from there. If she just wants to party and drink im sure she'll realise what she lost in the long run. Partying and drinking is pathetic in my opinion, and i would rather be settling down or starting too than doing that, even though I am only 17.

Sorry to hear about her acting like this. Must be hard.
    Yes well like I said it's near impossible to try to properly talk to her about anything to do with the relationship if it means it is a problem - which is part of the reason why I gave her this sort-of ultimatum. At the end of the day I do want us to be together but for her to be on my level of what we want out of the relationship.

It just feels like I've been an idiot these past 1.5 years because right away she's talking about partying/drinking and not taking some time to think about what just happened and what she wants to do. She never wants to face the problems.

ReputationRep:
    Well i know how you feel about wanting to be together, and for her to be on the same level as you. I really do.
    But i cant help you, in any more way than you can only help yourself.

You need to give her the choice, (because its come to that), either a relationship with you, or going out to parties and drinking unless you can cope with that.

Personally, i think partying and drinking whilst in a relationship isnt needed, its one or the other. I dont do it anyway, but thats just my opinion. (Y)

Maybe she just isnt ready.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 2, 2010
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.