Turn on thread page Beta

Which AS subject am I supposed to abandon? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, everybody, I'm a new member here and it's my first time to create a thread hope you my friends will be willing to give me some advice. Thank you in advance!

Now I'm doing the AS maths, human bio, chem, and psy. At the beginning I just thought taking four subjects was normal but now some of my friends told me it will be better for me if I only take three. One reason is these scientific subjects seem to be too heavy and stressful. And the second reason is my English is not as good as local students cos I'm an International student who came here straight from my Chinese high school. Further more, my sister's going back home(China) in the end of the year, so I have to work instead of her at that point. It means I won't have enough time to revise those subjects unless I cut one of them.

I'm quite interested in psy and I find it's ok so far. For maths I have the confidence cos I had learnt much more than other classmates when I was in China. Chem is fine, too. But someone argued that chem is not relative to psy. Human bio is not too bad but I found a bit hard when I tried remembering those terms.

How can I make a choice? Oh, by the way, my sister only got 2 mons holiday so... I won't work forever. Urr...maths and chem they are not difficult to me so I really don't want to cut them...

Who can help me? I don't want to make a wrong decesion cos it will effect me in the future. How about those subjects in A2? Cos I need three subjects to continue in order to apply for a uni.

Sorry I have said loaddddddds... T-T please help me if u can.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know most people do 4 AS levels then drop one when going into year 13 :dontknow:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Are you planning on going on to university after sixth form? Whilst 3.5 Alevels is not a requirement for a lot of universities you would be restricting your choices by dropping your fourth AS and most students will have done the full 3.5, just something to think about when making your decision, especially if you're determined to end up at a particular university or on a specific course

If you do keep the four maybe see if your school can help you with your english language skills or point you in the direction of someone who can if it's causing you to struggle, you seem to be confident with maths so it'd be a shame if that one area was causing you problems keeping up in your other subjects

As for which one to drop if you still want to drop one you seem to like maths, so I'd keep that one and the rest depends on what course you might do in the future

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva405)
    Hi, everybody, I'm a new member here and it's my first time to create a thread hope you my friends will be willing to give me some advice. Thank you in advance!

Now I'm doing the AS maths, human bio, chem, and psy. At the beginning I just thought taking four subjects was normal but now some of my friends told me it will be better for me if I only take three. One reason is these scientific subjects seem to be too heavy and stressful. And the second reason is my English is not as good as local students cos I'm an International student who came here straight from my Chinese high school. Further more, my sister's going back home(China) in the end of the year, so I have to work instead of her at that point. It means I won't have enough time to revise those subjects unless I cut one of them.

I'm quite interested in psy and I find it's ok so far. For maths I have the confidence cos I had learnt much more than other classmates when I was in China. Chem is fine, too. But someone argued that chem is not relative to psy. Human bio is not too bad but I found a bit hard when I tried remembering those terms.

How can I make a choice? Oh, by the way, my sister only got 2 mons holiday so... I won't work forever. Urr...maths and chem they are not difficult to me so I really don't want to cut them...

Who can help me? I don't want to make a wrong decesion cos it will effect me in the future. How about those subjects in A2? Cos I need three subjects to continue in order to apply for a uni.

Sorry I have said loaddddddds... T-T please help me if u can.
    I think, if you do well at all four, keep all four.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks all of you! Now I have been aware maybe four subjects are not such heavy and unusual. And I decide to carry them on without droping anything until I find I really can't bear on it. On another way, I might e-mail my psy teacher for help and hopefully everything will be ok.

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.