Turn on thread page Beta

Council tax - am I still a student if I have not graduated watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I handed in the dissertation for my Masters degree a few weeks ago but my graduation ceremony isn't until December. Am I still technically a student? This is incredibly important to me as several hundred pounds of council tax bills hinge on this definition.

Your help is much appreciated x

ReputationRep:
    I would guess that it would depend on the term dates for your university. In other words, what is the last day of the academic year for your university? Of course, it could involve something completely different, but I know that a lot of the forms that the govt sends always ask for the dates of the academic year.

ReputationRep:
    You could ask your university for clarification? They'll know.

ReputationRep:
    my guess is that technically you wouldn't be a student anymore. thats how i think the council will see it seeing as you have finished lectures etc.

(Original post by redanator)
    I would guess that it would depend on the term dates for your university.
    this

ReputationRep:
    The 'being a student' end date will be on your council tax exemption certificate. You should have one if you are being exempt atm but if not then your uni can supply one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipster)
    Hi guys,

I handed in the dissertation for my Masters degree a few weeks ago but my graduation ceremony isn't until December. Am I still technically a student? This is incredibly important to me as several hundred pounds of council tax bills hinge on this definition.

Your help is much appreciated x
    It's complex because it depends on both your university policy and your local council. Does your university still count you as a student ?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but I actually hope you can't still get away with not paying - the reason you don't pay as a student is that you are supposed to be working really hard, so can't get a job. Now you don't have any work to do, you can get a job.

I'm sure lots of people could do with saving a few months' worth of council tax, doesn't mean they get to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by modgepodge)
    I'm sorry but I actually hope you can't still get away with not paying - the reason you don't pay as a student is that you are supposed to be working really hard, so can't get a job. Now you don't have any work to do, you can get a job.

I'm sure lots of people could do with saving a few months' worth of council tax, doesn't mean they get to.

People like you are the worst people in the World.

ReputationRep:
    What, because I don't approve of dole scroungers? In my opinion, people who take money that isn't theirs (or don't pay money they owe) from the government are "the worst in the world".

My boyfriend handed in his Masters dissertation in August last year, but his graduation wasn't til April this year. For part of that time, he was employed earning £25000 per year. Should he have got away with not paying council tax simply cos he hadn't worn the gown and hat yet? No, don't be ridiculous. He was no longer a student, and as such paid council tax.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by modgepodge)
    What, because I don't approve of dole scroungers? In my opinion, people who take money that isn't theirs (or don't pay money they owe) from the government are "the worst in the world".

My boyfriend handed in his Masters dissertation in August last year, but his graduation wasn't til April this year. For part of that time, he was employed earning £25000 per year. Should he have got away with not paying council tax simply cos he hadn't worn the gown and hat yet? No, don't be ridiculous. He was no longer a student, and as such paid council tax.
    How dare you present a balanced and logical view?!? Away with you!

ReputationRep:
    I have mixed feelings

Yes they should pay but i dont begrude them some free months whilst they are looking for a job

Of course if they go straight into a job its not the same.

ReputationRep:
    I think if they are unemployed there'd be extra help anyway, if you're claiming JSA you can get housing benefit and stuff?? Not sure, but I can see that having to spend up to £100 on council tax when JSA is only £200 per month being very hard, surely you must get a discount if you're on JSA.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 1, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.