Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What would be the best (practical) natinal education model for the UK? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering what people thought about eduction today and what they would change about it. I cannot be the only one who thinks that spending three years reading 'Beckham Studies at university' is a waste of time.

Education is vital, but it seems clear that standards have dropped significantly. Certainly, the basic skills of reading, writing and arithmetic have become almost non-existent in some areas of the UK.

If you were the PM, what would you do with the education system?

ReputationRep:
    more educations

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lima bean)
    more educations

What do you mean? Can you elucidate a little on that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.S.Cobb)
    Just wondering what people thought about eduction today and what they would change about it. I cannot be the only one who thinks that spending three years reading 'Beckham Studies at university' is a waste of time.
    lmao
    :congrats:

ReputationRep:
    Well Northern Ireland has one of the better standards of education (although i would be slightly biased). We currently have no proper private schools, just grammar schools and secondary schools, which seems to work pretty well. Although the selection test used to enter these is currently being scrapped (this has been met with much controversy).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.S.Cobb)

Education is vital, but it seems clear that standards have dropped significantly. Certainly, the basic skills of reading, writing and arithmetic have become almost non-existent in some areas of the UK.

If you were the PM, what would you do with the education system?
    First up, spend more money on it solely with the aim of reducing class sizes. Then a primary education system teaching basics; reading, writing, arithmetics and a foreign language. No grammars schools but streaming within comps, the level of streaming increasing as the age of the students increases. Science and some kind of general humanities education starting at about 8-9 years old. I'd keep GCSEs and A-levels, maybe make them harder.

University would charge a flat fee (i.e. oxbridge costs the same as an ex-poly) probably around $7-8000 a year, with a system of student loans similar to the present one.

ReputationRep:
    I'd merge A-levels and GCSE.

Most mandatory education is crap. the only subjects in compulsory education (IMO should be from 6-16) should be English, Maths, a foreign language, basic philosophy and basic politics. all is ******** and shouldn't be taught in compulsory education.

ReputationRep:
    A classical education system where all students are taught to think for themselves and to have their curiosity about the world and beyond encouraged instead of bashed out of them. To achieve this you would also need parents to be onside and also change the current culture of mindless drivel that we are all force fed through the media.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think we should bring the Agoge to British schools, mainly for it's transferable skills and emphasis on strict discipline.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.