Turn on thread page Beta

getting rid of my nerdy life =] watch

anon or delete

basically im on my pc 24/7. i play crappy pc games which have no reason to them, yes i enjoy playing them with people from school but i would rather be out doing other things. i will get up around 9am sit on the pc all day till like 1am with breaks for food and stuff. i don't really get anything productive done.

i occasionally go to the cinema like once a fortnight but as soon as im home im back on the pc. i want to be able to just come in and not need to go on the pc for the majority of the day. i want to be going out with people

what sort of things can i do? im 17 btw

ReputationRep:
    Smash your computer?

Though I'm guessing you proably won't do that... it's self-control you need to work on. How about joining a gym or a sports club? It depends what you're interested in though really... Maybe see if there are any youth projects going on in your area. Do you work / study?

ReputationRep:
    Get the friends you normally LAN party with and go to a park with them and have a kickabout or something. Just do something that is away from your computer - I take it this constant game playing is when you don't have school?

Hasn't term started now?

ReputationRep:
    Get people to hang with and you will be too preoccupied to go on the PC.

ReputationRep:
    Go regularly to gym, get a membership.

ReputationRep:
    Learn an instrument or give music production a shot (if you like electronic music). I do the latter, and I love it

ReputationRep:
    Self control?

ReputationRep:
    Warcraft?

To be honest, do what you enjoy doing most, but keep it in moderation. I used to sit at my PC playing WoW all day and it ruined my life bigtime, but you shouldn't regret it because it's exactly what you wanted to do at the time. You've seen what can happen and now you're ready to change. But don't do it just because of what others think, do it because of what you think. Don't be something you're not, it won't stick.

I joined the gym and I'd deffo recommend it, I channel my need to be dedicated to something into that now.

ReputationRep:
    Go meet your mates and chill somewhere. In the park, the cinema, someone's house or just walk around town. Anything - because it's not exactly hard for you to improve your social life from where you are now.

In terms of making your time 'useful' then join a gym or do some personal studying. Yeah, I know, sounds crazy - but doing a little bit of work over the holidays can actually be quite satisfying.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Remove a key component of your computer for a week. See how it goes.

ReputationRep:
    Sell the Pc and use the money to buy a bike or a power kite, or rock climbing lessons or something else random and outdoorish...

Make the random outdoorish thing your new obsession.

ReputationRep:
    Instead of joining the gym (which can be very monotanous and boring) how about getting fit by actually doing an activity such as cycling or rock climbing etc. I do both and find that it's much more fun getting fit by doing acticities such as these. Mainly because your not stuck in a room on a running machine or doing weights.

For instance in rock climbing your getting fit, but your not actually concentrating on the fitness part and more the fun of actually climbing. Obviously this may not suit you if heights isn't your bag, however, it's just an example. Cyclings very fun especially when you save up and buy a new bit of kit. There are just hundreds of fun ways to get in shape all of them hundreds of times more fun than the gym. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...ure_0935-1.jpg

Go places like this. It's far cooler and less nerdy than a 'kick around' with mates.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar position, OP. I've developed an unhealthy obsession with my iPhone the past year and a half or so, I just play on it day and night rather than go out or study, it's really taken over my life.

I can only hope I'll get over it when I start uni next week.

ReputationRep:
    start reading books! it can be hard to know where to start off cause there are loads of classic books which are either crap, or you don't appreciate til your, err, better at reading. But Ragtime, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, To Kill a Mockingbird, Cannery Row, Catch 22 and The Great Gatsby I think everyone can enjoy (I hope), and just go on from there. also, playing team sport is good for social stuff- try and join a football team. if you're too bad to get in at first, start jogging to get your stamina up, and practise loads of keepy ups to improve your ball control. Alternately, there's bound to be a badminton club near you, and there are normally a real mix of skill levels there. Just join societies at college and stuff. If you think you're not socially skilled enough at first or whatever, it just means you'll improve with practise (I know this sounds lame, but , well i think everyone is pretty socially insecure deep down). Also, instead of PC games, you can watch stuff on tv you can talk about with other people - water cooler stuff like the X factor, Match of the Day, Music channels, politics.

ReputationRep:
    Perform self observation, and disregard things that you do that aren't productive. Learn to program, develop something people would find useful, instead of chatting, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    anon or delete

basically im on my pc 24/7. i play crappy pc games which have no reason to them, yes i enjoy playing them with people from school but i would rather be out doing other things. i will get up around 9am sit on the pc all day till like 1am with breaks for food and stuff. i don't really get anything productive done.

i occasionally go to the cinema like once a fortnight but as soon as im home im back on the pc. i want to be able to just come in and not need to go on the pc for the majority of the day. i want to be going out with people

what sort of things can i do? im 17 btw
    If you'd rather be doing other things, why aren't you doing them? :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/potn00dles/Picture_0935-1.jpg

Go places like this. It's far cooler and less nerdy than a 'kick around' with mates.
    Any idea where that is? Alps?

ReputationRep:
    http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...ure_0935-1.jpg

Not for everyone. There's nothing more I like than playing fooball with my mates but I accept it's not for everyone.

ReputationRep:

Ye.. because playing football is nerdy and isn't cool ...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 30, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.