Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello there,

Could someone please tell me how would I integrate 6sin(7y+5) please. I understand for example that 4cos3y when integrated will equal 4/3sin3y but I am unsure on what to do with the bracket.

Thank you. :P

ReputationRep:
    dy or dx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ncsjohn02)
    dy or dx
    What happens to the (7y+5) part sorry?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by apo1324)
    Hello there,
    I understand for example that 4cos3y when integrated will equal 4/3sin3y but I am unsure on what to do with the bracket.
    This is correct but why do you understand it?

Have you done integration by substitution? Letting u=3y and following the process will show you why it integrates to (4/3)sin3y.

For your problem, try substituting u=7y+5 and see what happens.

The rules of integration are not always opposite to differentiation so it's not a good idea to just learn integrals without knowing how they're derived.

ReputationRep:
    the answer is -6/7cos(7y+5) i think. you just need to multiply your answer by 1/the differential of the bracket

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimmyreed112)
    the answer is -6/7cos(7y+5) i think. you just need to multiply your answer by 1/the differential of the bracket
    Oh ok, but the answer is -6sin(7y+5)... I don't understand where the minus sign came from.

ReputationRep:
    jimmyreed112 is correct for this example, although this will not work for polynomials above degree 1 in the bracket. I'm not entirely sure that if you had a polynomial above degree 1 that it can be integrated with elementary functions at all...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    This is correct but why do you understand it?

Have you done integration by substitution? Letting u=3y and following the process will show you why it integrates to (4/3)sin3y.

For your problem, try substituting u=7y+5 and see what happens.

The rules of integration are not always opposite to differentiation so it's not a good idea to just learn integrals without knowing how they're derived.
    No, I haven't done integration by substitution. Yeah, basically my teacher gave us a list of all the integrals and expects us to learn them.

ReputationRep:
    The minus sign comes from the fact that the integral of sin is -cos, that's all.

ReputationRep:
    the integral of sinx is -cosx...its just a case of learning the rules of integrating and differentiating trigonometric functions

ReputationRep:
    For this example... -2cos(10-x):-

Would it be -2sin(10-x) + c as although 10-x differentiated = -1 cos becomes a negative again when integrating sin?? Thanks for the help everyone, appreciate it btw. so -2/1sin(10-x) + c.

ReputationRep:
    the integral of -2cos(10-x) is 2sin(10-x) + c and yes youre right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimmyreed112)
    the integral of -2cos(10-x) is 2sin(10-x) + c and yes youre right
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apo1324)
    Thanks.
    anytime
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    If you want to do it another (and safer) way, use the fact that sine integrates to some multiple of cosine, and cosine integrates to some multiple of sine (when what's in the brackets is linear, but in C3 it will always be linear).

So you can let \displaystyle \int \sin(ax+b)\, dx = K\cos(ax+b) + C. Then differentiate the RHS and compare it to \sin (ax+b) to find the value of K.

So for example let's say we have to integrate \cos (3-11x). Then we can say:
    \displaystyle \int \cos(3-11x)\, dx = K\sin (3-11x) + C

Differentiating the both sides gives
    \cos (3-11x) = -11K\cos(3-11x)

...and so we must have -11K=1, and hence K=-\dfrac{1}{11}, so our final answer is:

\boxed{ \displaystyle \int \cos(3-11x)\, dx = -\dfrac{1}{11}\sin(3-11x) + C }

Hope this helps.

[EDIT: Thanks ghostwalker for the correction]

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 30, 2010

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.