Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have chosen RHUL, Manchester & Glasgow so far for straight economics (Glasgow Eco+Maths) & cannot really find clear winners for 4th and 5th choice, I noticed these 3 and perhaps Leicester as in the running given my ABB results at A-Level?

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Essex has a strong Economics department, so I assume this reflects their undergraduate course as well.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a big fan of Leicester economics personally, so i'd put that in with Essex as danny111 suggests.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh essex's top students get employed by the bank of england stright out of uni, however considering you have ABB i dont think youll be up there so there department may not be that good for you. Sussex is underrated.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by housey11)
    Tbh essex's top students get employed by the bank of england stright out of uni, however considering you have ABB i dont think youll be up there so there department may not be that good for you. Sussex is underrated.
    Tbh that doesn't say anything. The bank of England don't discriminate based on university.

ReputationRep:
    Yes like yoyo says, the B of E don't 'target' universities, it may have been that some good Essex students got in (wouldn't surprise me especially if they come off Essex's MSc programme) but it won't have been a deliberate targeting by the B of E.

However I agree with housey on Sussex being an underrated dept, out of the less competitive ones its a good shout. I know a guy who's there now, it's a small department but they seem to be taught quite well there. Alasdair Smith teaches their 2nd year micro, he's quite a distinguished economist from LSE who was Vice Chancellor of Sussex Uni and Chair of the 1994 Group for a while, whilst he's "retired" he still holds some consultancy positions for the government as far as I know and he still comes in to lead their micro teaching, which is a nice bonus for the Sussex undergrads. Seems a good bloke as well from what I've heard. Their other teachers are young ambitious up and comers from good unis who are probably on stepping stones to good jobs...as an undergrad these types are better people to be taught by than the type of older academic who is just going through the motions. So I think considering it's not too competitive to get into, Sussex is a good value option either as a back up for people applying to top ones or for people who don't have quite the grades or subjects to get in the top ones. There are probably some other good value departments hiding under the radar but I don't have contacts there so can only vouch for Sussex. I wouldn't imagine many of their grads are working in the City but my mate knows of a couple that have got into the Treasury which is about the most competitive part of the GES to get into and some have got good development jobs overseas so that suggests that they are getting decent prep there. TheCORN on here is a Sussex grad I think (he's in the GES now so if you see him he might be able to give more details)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 5, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.