Turn on thread page Beta

a-levels for studying medicine watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I hope to study medicine and uni and at school we are starting to think about a level options. I've decided on chemistry, biology and government and politics but I need to choose out of rs or spanish. I think that I'm equally good at both and I really enjoy them as well. I know universities tend to like languages - which are really hard at a-level. Also, I was wondering if it's true that universities see rs as a 'soft subject'. It is a humanity and is an essay-based subject like government and politics. I'm not sure what would be the best combination as I'll need to work hard for biology and chemistry. Any advice would be great, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Bio, Chem, Maths and Politics.

I'm sure maths is required for most Universities medicine courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Troubled_Student)

As far as I know, it is not required for ANY.
    http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=78

OP: whatever you like better out of those two, provided you think you can get an A in it.

ReputationRep:

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coffeecake:D)
    I was wondering if it's true that universities see rs as a 'soft subject'.
    They don't. It is a well-respected traditional academic subject - the only one with studies in the subject name that is really worthwhile for the top universities.

ReputationRep:
    My bad then, ignore my comment.
    As all my friends who wannabe-medics take Maths, I wrongly inferred that it was needed

ReputationRep:
    As long as you do bio and chem, do something that you a) enjoy and b) can get an A in.

Some places, like UCL, actually prefer a contrasting subject i.e. a humanity. Check out prospectuses for specific requirements, will save you trouble later on. Personally, I would take RS. In our school anyway, they do a lot on medical ethics, which could come in handy

ReputationRep:
    thank you all so much for your advice and comments, it's been really helpful! As far as maths is concerned, I enjoy certain topics - especially algebra - but I don't think I'm capable of getting an A easily compared to other subjects. I'm also really interested in english lit (shakespeare, jane austen) but I think the course and the numerous essays would be too demanding.

I talked to my RS teacher who told me a bit about the a-level course. Basically there is no ethics, the course is split into two parts: philosophy and 'religion in art'. Religion in art incorporates the portrayal of religion in: humour, film, television, books etc... In my gcse course we are going study medical ethics which I agree will be very useful! I've also talked to my sister's friends who are studying rs and g+p at a-level, which has been really helpful. At the moment, I'm steering towards doing RS alongside biology, chemistry and government and politics.

Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coffeecake:D)
    I think the course and the numerous essays would be too demanding.
    Are you sure you are ready for the medicine workload?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Are you sure you are ready for the medicine workload?
    definitely. i'm really passionate about medicine and ready to work as hard as i can to succeed! i only meant that english lit might detract some time from biology and chemistry - which i need to concentrate on. I've been told to do subjects i enjoy and are likely to get A grades in, and that med schools don't care about what other subjects you take (apart from general studies etc..) as long as you get the grades. I don't see any point doing something like maths (which might be a good subject to complement sciences) if i don't think it'll be easy to get a high grade in. At the end of the day, it's all about getting the grades.

ReputationRep:
    Taking a third science would be advantageous as I think some universities so prefer it. ie Cambridge has as pre-medical requirements "passes in three of the following: Biology/ Human Biology; Chemistry; Physics; Mathematics. One of the subjects must be Chemistry and at least one pass must be at A level."

However, at the end of the day, you should really do what you enjoy if you are passionate about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infintywhirls)
    However, at the end of the day, you should really do what you enjoy if you are passionate about it.
    Thank you! I can't wait to study Government and Politics at A-Level!! - but I'm still really torn between RS and Spanish :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Which one do you like better atm? I'm sure there is one you may prefer, even slightly. Or just put down a choice now, you will have the option to change it either after exams or even after a week into the lessons in 6th form. Like I started with art down but after a week of lessons, I didn't think it was the right choice so I changed to psychology and loving it so far. I know people who have changed subjects even a month in.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like it was a good choice to change subjects then?! yeah my sister's been saying the same. I'm not sure which one I like better, but I know that languages are a lot harder at A-Level and the RS department is really strong! But then again, unis love languages don't they?! and I don't know whether RS is seen by some to be a 'soft subject'. Looking at the past couple of years results at school, RS has a better record than Spanish.

Which subject do you think would complement my other subjects (Chemistry, Biology and Government and Politics)? Also, which do you think would be harder, 2 essay-based subjects or an essay subject and a language? - because I'll need to concentrate on Chemistry and Biology.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about whether subjects view it as a "soft" subject as it doesn't matter since it's a 4th subject. Well, in my opinion, RS would be easier but I think you are naturally good at languages are you aren't. Personally, I'm not but you may be. If you are good at languages and can naturally remember vocab and grammar then go for that. But if you are finding it difficult now, then perhaps go for RS.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for all your advice, you've been really helpful!! yeah, I'm going to have a good look at the courses on options evening (13th october) and hopefully I'll be able to decide then. What are you hoping to study at uni?

ReputationRep:
    Medicine :P I've just started AS levels so I don't know that much tbh, I'm only going on how friends are finding their subjects.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Ensure you pick Chemistry and Biology, and continue them to A2. The third subject must be academic, but within this confine can be anything you want - pick the subject you're most likely to succeed in. The only caveats are if you want to do medicine at Cambridge, the third subject must be a science.

:facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    just wondering, what is seen to be a more academic subject - RS or Government and Politics??

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
  3. Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.