Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If you date someone with a 10 year + age gap, what could you possibly have in common? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Exactly the same things you have in common with someone with less of a disparity between ages.

ReputationRep:
    Depends. Not everybody just listens to the music that's popular when they're a teenager - ditto other forms of popular culture. I don't see why I can't talk to a thirty-something year-old about the same things I talk to my friends about. Life, the universe, and everything.

Plus I like to discuss philosophical paradoxes.

ReputationRep:
    Sense of humour, compatible personalities etc

ReputationRep:
    do you think a 24 year old (like me) could date a 31 year old without too much difference?

i dated a 40 yo when i was 22, but he traded me in after a year for a 26 y/o. i loved him but i do have daddy issues

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Intensity)
    I'm nearing 21. He's nearing 40.

We both like outdoorsy stuff - camping, travelling, fishing, walking, climbing etc
    We cook togther (and follow a pretty similar diet/lifestyle). We watch movies. We get nekkid :awesome:. We're both wanting kids (although i won't yet!)

I have very little shared interests with the average 20/21 male who is 'living for the weekend' and into going out 'with the lads'. :yucky:
    are you still together?

do you see yourself marrying him?

is he divorced or has he never been married?

does it bother you that if you were 41 he would be dating a 21 y/o and most likely it woulndt be you?

im 25 and i wouldnt date a 21 year old. when i was 22 i dated a 40 y/o and thought the same as you. but now im older i can see that as he was unemployed, an 'aspiring musician' living with his parents and totally broke, an average woman his own age wuldnt date him, and all he could get were naive young teens/early 20s who are impressed by any guy who owns his own car :rolleyes:

trust. when you are 30, this dude will not be with you.

anyone find the idea of a girl age 16-22 with a guy in his 40s or 50s kinda weird and gross?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zjs)
    Exactly the same things you have in common with someone with less of a disparity between ages.
    For about a minute your avatar had be convinced there was a fly in my screen...

ReputationRep:
    Well, tbf, there's more to relationships than having the same music taste (that sucks for us that aren't really into music :sad:). Travelling, the same sort of films, going out, gaming, books, writing, work, education (maybe he's doctorate etc.), cooking, camping, bird watching, bug collecting etc etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    I am in a hockey and climbing club with people 15- 20 years my junior and senior and we all have a passion for the sport we are doing and hence have things in common. If there was an attraction and some basis for a relationship 10 years wouldn't worry me!

ReputationRep:
    When you're young I don't see what you'd have in common....but when someones 60 and their partners 50 there probably isn't a problem.

ReputationRep:
    You both have issues.

ReputationRep:
    Music taste. I prefer things from the 50s-90s, not so big on anything after that. It'd definitely be an asset to someone if I could bring up a band from the 80s and they know who I'm on about.

Otherwise, just because they're ten years older doesn't mean they're still living in the 80s.

ReputationRep:
    I pulled a 35 y/o Italian woman at the weekend (I'm 22). She was amazing, I was teaching her English customs and she was teaching me how to say words in Italian. Then I started teaching her swear words and almost got beaten up cos she kept saying them to people.... Not sure how dating her would go, but for the day/night she was awesome... Doesn't really matter what age you are, you can still be really young at heart or really old at heart. Just be happy and smiley andit's basically a Universal language

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    A woman, you mean.
    Thats the point. In his eyes she's not a woman. She's a girl.
    If someone says different then fair enough. Believe what you want. The 20 yo chic is a plaything for him. It's just the way it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beadle's About)
    I've seen a few posts where girls say they 'like older guys' etc. I've been thinking about this and I thought 'what could a guy in his 30s possibly have in common with someone 10 or more years younger than him?'

I'm in my 20s now and I think to myself when I get to my 30s would I want to date younger girls...yes and no - yes because they'll be hot and good-looking, but realistically what would we have in common? I mean, we'll have grown up in different eras, so we'll be brought up on different music, different tv shows etc.

I just don't see how it could work apart from the physical attraction really.
    Well my friend used to. The man she was seeing was just over 10 year older than her and they always got on perfectly. They just clicked, they had the same outlook on life, loved the same films and the things they didn't know about each other because of the age difference they talked about. Because they lead such different lives (she was at uni, he was a pharmacist) they had looooooooooads to talk about. You could just tell how much they loved each other for all the 3 years they were going out.

However, I will agree with you that there is a possibility of disagreement. Since they were in such different stages of life, he was ready to settle down and have kids, she wanted to work for a little bit first before having children. They still love each other a year after the breakup but they just want different things. Still this could happen with anyone, so I really don't think it all comes down to age difference. You could get along perfectly with someone 20 years your junior but be absolutely turned off to the max by someone your age or just a little younger/older.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think its really THAT big an issue. So what if you haven't grown up on the same tv shows, the same music, the same films? Its another thing to get your partner interested in!

If your personalities match and you get along well, it shouldn't be a problem!

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard of watching the same telly as a kid as being a basis for a relationship. Me and my boyfriend are the same age and had very different childhoods in relation to what we enjoyed and what we did. Doesn't mean we can't have anything in common now...

ReputationRep:
    Both of you are incapable of getting some with somebody your own age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beadle's About)
    If you date someone with a 10 year + age gap, what could you possibly have in common?
    ummm.........Both of you are desperate LOL!

ReputationRep:
    I have loads of good friends who are way older than me and we have tons in common !
    I think it depends on the people really but if you get on and are compatible I don't think the age gap matters too much..you can still have the same interests/sense of humour even if you didn't necessarily grow up watching the same tv shows etc..

ReputationRep:
    Well I wouldn't date a guy that much older than me but I have really good friends who are 10 years older than me, at least and we have a lot in common.

Edit: but then, these friends are at the same uni as me, so I suppose we have that in common!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.