Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If you date someone with a 10 year + age gap, what could you possibly have in common? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noor3000)
    I dated a guy who was actually 11 years older; he didn't know I was 17. We actually met at a protest, we had tons in common, and he was so interesting and intelligent, and we could talk for hours. I actually learned a lot from him. Though he didn't get my references, my slang, a bit of my sense of humour, and he always joked about how old he felt when that happens. But all in all it was a wonderful thing; boys my age are just too immature for my preference.
    Girls are that age are too immature for my preference, and I'm 23.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steezy)
    I pulled a 35 y/o Italian woman at the weekend (I'm 22). She was amazing, I was teaching her English customs and she was teaching me how to say words in Italian. Then I started teaching her swear words and almost got beaten up cos she kept saying them to people.... Not sure how dating her would go, but for the day/night she was awesome... Doesn't really matter what age you are, you can still be really young at heart or really old at heart. Just be happy and smiley andit's basically a Universal language
    Lad

ReputationRep:
    There is a 10 year age gap between my parents and this year will be their 28th wedding anniversary. So....you know...

ReputationRep:
    Why wouldn't you have things in common with someone older?

Not everyone likes clubbing all the time and binge drinking.

ReputationRep:
    2 Eyes, 1 nose, 2 Ears, 2 legs, 2 hands etc etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghanglish)
    Lad
    Not gonna lie, I was pretty chuffed with myself

ReputationRep:
    Would you not be dating them because you have things in common to start with?

ReputationRep:
    I have ALWAYS gotten on a lot better with people older than me.It's just my nature.I've always acted older than I am/was,it's how I am,it's my personality.It's easier to get on with older people too.

We're not really going out, more of a friends with benefits thing but I've been seeing a guy about 30 years older than me for 3 years. I guess it's not really the same as dating, no need to have much in common but we have a really great time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_decider)
    Thats the point. In his eyes she's not a woman. She's a girl.
    If someone says different then fair enough. Believe what you want. The 20 yo chic is a plaything for him. It's just the way it is.
    Haha, as if a 30 year old man is really old and past it! My bloke's 29, but he LOOKS about 22. Hardly an old man, is it now.

But it doesn't really matter to me if you or a hypothetical 30 year old treat women like a plaything, because some men have respect for women. Like my very real LOVE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    You both have issues.
    lol at that kid in your sig. he's got mad energy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    We're not really going out, more of a friends with benefits thing but I've been seeing a guy about 30 years older than me for 3 years. I guess it's not really the same as dating, no need to have much in common but we have a really great time.
    :eek: wtf?? so like you are 20 and he is like 50+??? why cant you get a dude your own age? where do you see that relatioshhip going?

(Original post by shinytoy)
    :eek: wtf?? so like you are 20 and he is like 50+??? why cant you get a dude your own age? where do you see that relatioshhip going?
    Pretty much, I'm 21. I don't know, I've always tended to be more attracted to older guys, don't know why. Well I don't see us getting married or anything, we're just happy to have a good time while I'm young and he is always travelling for work so doesn't have the time for a real relationship.

ReputationRep:
    are you still together?

do you see yourself marrying him?

is he divorced or has he never been married?
    Yes.

Nope.Went into the relationship knowing full well that it wasn't going to be a lifelong thing. I was heavily attracted to him, so I pursued him for a bit of fun. It's lasted a lot longer than I thought it would.

He's divorced. What difference does that make?

does it bother you that if you were 41 he would be dating a 21 y/o and most likely it woulndt be you?
    My 41 year old self would probably be a little dejected, but I'm well aware that women lose attractiveness with age and that men are biologically programmed to want a healthy and fertile woman. I get that. At my age, it's not something I spend a lot of time caring about.
    Also it's not like he has a history of dating people my age. His last gf was only a few years younger than him.

im 25 and i wouldnt date a 21 year old. when i was 22 i dated a 40 y/o and thought the same as you. but now im older i can see that as he was unemployed, an 'aspiring musician' living with his parents and totally broke, an average woman his own age wuldnt date him, and all he could get were naive young teens/early 20s who are impressed by any guy who owns his own car :rolleyes:
    There's a big difference between an 'unemployed, aspiring musician' and someone involved in law, philanthropy and politics.

And of course you don't want to date a younger man. Most women don't.

trust. when you are 30, this dude will not be with you.
    Probably true. Majority of relationships don't last 10+ years. I choose to live for now, not the future.

ReputationRep:
    Literally anything.

ReputationRep:
    I consider it lucky if I have owt in common with a person full stop, nevermind a partner, nevermind a partner of a different age!..

(dated women aged 17-27 in the past few years)

nothing.

I had just turned 16 and met a 25 year old guy.
    Nothing in common at all, he just wanted sex.
    Kept his marriage a secret too. :|

But like what has been said, 50+60 is fine, there be alot in common.

ReputationRep:
    9 years so maybe I'm out on this; although we weren't dating we were good friends with benefits.
    We liked the same tv, films, videogames, books and had a lot of the same ideas about the world. We got/get on fantastically.

also, my bestfriend is 7 years older than me and I get on better with her more than anybody else

ReputationRep:
    pokemon

ReputationRep:
    I'd imagine that as you get older age gaps become less significant (not literally of course the age gap will remain constant). So if you have one person who is 40 and another who is 50 the age gap may not be too much of an issue.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.