The Student Room Group

just applied to be a police special constable.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Liv1204
It's not as easy to get in as just volunteering. I was rejected because I don't live in Sussex full-time, even though I'm only living an hour and a half away, because they 'require you to live in the area in order to fulfil the operational duties' (16 hours per month o.O)

There's the application stage to pass, interview, medical/eyesight requirements, fitness, competency-based stuff, etc. They don't just accept everyone who offers just because they're 'giving their time for nothing'. You're being trusted to make decisions which will affect people's lives. I wouldn't want someone accepted into the Specials and just allowed to make arrests easily just because they weren't being paid for it. It's a hard process to pass.

Keep trying though, it's ridiculously hard but don't give up - some people it can take years for, especially while regulars recruitment is closed. It can be a huge benefit when applying for the regulars - and some forces (I think the Met definitely and the BTP possibly, and possibly some other forces) are considering making it a requirement for applicants to complete two years with the Specials before they can apply for regulars. So don't give up. :smile:

im only 22 so ive got time on my hands, i have my special constables assessment on tuesday, its a 4 hour long process :eek: which just shows you how seriously its taken.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by wookymon
And no, it doesn't help you get in the regular police, and nor should it.

Met and GMP Authorities have ruled that any officer wishing to join their force must have served in the SC first. And so they should.
Reply 22
have my medical on the 17th and my fitness on the 22nd.
Reply 23
Good luck, let us know how it goes :smile:
Why would you want to be a facist anyway.
Original post by drbluebox
Why would you want to be a facist anyway.

To annoy people like you?
Original post by TheFatController
To annoy people like you?

Why would they annoy people like me?
Original post by drbluebox
Why would they annoy people like me?

You cannot seriously believe that every police officer in the UK subscribes to fascist politics, so therefore your use of the term suggests to me that you have some sort of ideological problem with the police (i.e. that you don't think anyone should have the right to tell you how fast to drive/not to take drugs etc.)
Original post by TheFatController
You cannot seriously believe that every police officer in the UK subscribes to fascist politics, so therefore your use of the term suggests to me that you have some sort of ideological problem with the police (i.e. that you don't think anyone should have the right to tell you how fast to drive/not to take drugs etc.)

Prove me wrong then, and I have no problem with rules just power hungry bullies.
Reply 29
Original post by charlie:P
Good luck! I want to be a retained fire fighter. I love being the hero :smile:

You do mean heroine. n00bfag
Original post by Dnator
You realise that it is a volunteer thing? They will take anybody.

that can pass PIRT and the security screening ...

very few if any uniformed Volunteer opportunies will take people randomly from the street
Original post by Queen_Pinky
My boyfriend is 19 so technically doesn't really have much 'life experience' but he's in the Air Cadets as a Sergeant so that can probably looked good on the application as a position of authority and discipline....

You can't be a Sergeant and be 19 years old. After 18 in the Air Cadet you have to volunteer for work, which is why the always put emphasis on recruiting the minimum age which is 13 and 3 months.
Reply 32
:teehee:

I joke, I joke.
Reply 33
Original post by zippyRN
that can pass PIRT and the security screening ...

very few if any uniformed Volunteer opportunies will take people randomly from the street

Oh yes, well done on correcting me - how about this - they will take anybody who actually wants to go have a power trip in their spare time and hasn't been convicted of kiddy fiddling before.
Reply 34
They really won't just take anyone. You have to pass the application, interview, medical, eyesight test, fitness, etc etc, exactly the same as regulars. Many forces aren't even recruiting for Specials because they get so many people applying. They have lots of people to choose from.
Reply 35
Nice to see some people with intelligent, well-informed thoughts as usual...
I totally agree with this persons answer it’s the best one on here! I also agree change your username it’s childish and immature.
Excuse me!!! Looks like you don’t know what actually involves in the process of becoming a special. To me you are a saddo who doesn’t have anything else to do but to put others off from applying. It’s a job that it will an honour to get into that uniform and help others.
Original post by wookymon
Exactly...lol Anyone foolish enough to believe the hype and who's prepared to give up their spare time to hassle innocent people, especially young people in my area.
And no, it doesn't help you get in the regular police, and nor should it.
I was born Peterborough and live in Wisbech and want to join the sc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending