Turn on thread page Beta

Are there any Phil Collins fans here? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm a huge fan of Phil Collins and Genesis. Phil is one of the UK's greatest singers/drummers/songwriters/multi-instrumentalists.

With 250 million records sold worldwide with his solo material and Genesis material combined, that's an amazing track record.

You just don't see artists like Phil Collins in this day and age, sadly, he's a legend, a true musician who writes and performs all his own music, unlike the manufactured ******** we get in today's terrible music scene.

ReputationRep:
    I like a bit of phil collins, I have his greatest hits and am thinking about getting his new album.

ReputationRep:
    No.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I will always prefer his work as the DRUMMER in genesis.

ReputationRep:
    While we can't help the odd perverted thought, I don't think you should be saying all this out loud.

ReputationRep:
    Patrick Bateman liked a bit of Phil Collins. So did this weird girl I almost shared a flat with she said Phil Collins was the only music she liked and said we could sit in her room listening to her "cassette tapes" of his albums.

Personally I don't like him or his music.

ReputationRep:
    I do indeed enjoy a bit of Phil Collins everynow and then, he's a truly fantastic drummer!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the version of Genesis with Phil as frontman is one of my favourite bands. Impressive musician too, I've lost count of the number of times I've tried (and failed) to imitate his drumming on my kit...

I don't like much of his solo stuff, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beadle's About)
    I'm a huge fan of Phil Collins and Genesis. Phil is one of the UK's greatest singers/drummers/songwriters/multi-instrumentalists.

With 250 million records sold worldwide with his solo material and Genesis material combined, that's an amazing track record.

You just don't see artists like Phil Collins in this day and age, sadly, he's a legend, a true musician who writes and performs all his own music, unlike the manufactured ******** we get in today's terrible music scene.
    you realise that not every artist across every genre is manufactured.

But anyway yes i like Phil collins, quite like the northern Kings covers of his stuff as well

ReputationRep:
    His music is awesome in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Cool, good to see more Phil fans :-)

ReputationRep:
    That's All by Genesis is one of my favourite songs.. sooo good!

I LOVE Phil!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessnavi22)
    That's All by Genesis is one of my favourite songs.. sooo good!

I LOVE Phil!
    Wow I love you already haha, my perfect girl would be a Phil Collins/Genesis fan (amongst other things of course).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    you realise that not every artist across every genre is manufactured.

But anyway yes i like Phil collins, quite like the northern Kings covers of his stuff as well

I know but the music industry and music in general was better in the 80s. Now the industry is largely dead due to illegal downloading and file sharing. We're not going to see artists sell records on the scale of Phil Collins etc ever again as people don't buy music as much today.

ReputationRep:
    I liked him when he was in Genesis, but he just seems a bit boring as a solo singer. He overtook the new Manic Street Preachers album in the charts last week as well. Not impressed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animalnitrate)
    I liked him when he was in Genesis, but he just seems a bit boring as a solo singer. He overtook the new Manic Street Preachers album in the charts last week as well. Not impressed.
    Phil is a far better musician than the Manic Street Preachers. I'm glad he's back in the limelight again, it's about time :-)

ReputationRep:
    Phil is a far better musician than the Manic Street Preachers. I'm glad he's back in the limelight again, it's about time :-)
    Well, not many bands can lose a musician (and that's lose in the most literal sense possible), then create a comeback single just a year later that still is one of their well known records, and continue to make music that has actual meaning behind it.

ReputationRep:
    Well, not many bands can lose a musician (and that's lose in the most literal sense possible), then create a comeback single just a year later that still is one of their well known records, and continue to make music that has actual meaning behind it.
    Genesis lost Peter Gabriel and then Phil Collins came out from behind the drum kit to sing and front the band; I'd say that's just as valid.

But good luck to the Manic Street Preachers, mustn't have been nice to go through that.

ReputationRep:
    Genesis lost Peter Gabriel and then Phil Collins came out from behind the drum kit to sing and front the band; I'd say that's just as valid.

But good luck to the Manic Street Preachers, mustn't have been nice to go through that.
    Peter Gabriel was much better as a solo artist than Phil Collins, in my opinion. But it's not as if Phil had mental problems and hasn't been seem for the past 15 years, I get your point though.

ReputationRep:
    Peter Gabriel was much better as a solo artist than Phil Collins, in my opinion. But it's not as if Phil had mental problems and hasn't been seem for the past 15 years, I get your point though.
    I don't know if you know, but Phil has recently had health problems, check this out....

http://www.spinnermusic.co.uk/2010/0...-nerve-damage/

Phil has a hearing problem in one ear and also has nerve damage to his hands and cannot pick up his drum sticks or play drums any more. He is unsure whether he will return to full health and ever be able to play again. He was hoping to reunite with the original Peter Gabriel line-up of Genesis, but due to his health there are doubts. So Phil isn't off the hook either.

Phil has also been divorced 3 times and has had to fork out over 42 million pounds in payments to his ex wives.

Not saying the Manics didn't have problems either, just that poor old Phil has had many problems too!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.