Turn on thread page Beta

what job do you have? How much experience what education/qualifications did you have? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Im just trying to figure out what my best options are with my qualifications and experience, what jobs I should be aiming for etc.

So im wondering what everybodies jobs are and what they were doing or had to do to get the jobs?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure what you're considering or anything like that and obviously just knowing what I do won't help you much but if you want to chat via PM or anything I am happy to.

I'm in public sector audit at KPMG, just entered into my 2nd year. I went straight from university with no directly relevant work experience (I did have some experience of working in a managing people/supervisory type role).

Not sure what you mean by what I had to do to get the job. Standard graduate recruitment process.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you have decent A-levels and a 2:1 degree you have a good shot at a position in one of the major accountancy firms' main service lines. From talking to those who have been employed this year by smaller to very small firms they tend to favour Economics/Accountancy degrees in their recruitment processes, but this couldnt be further from an issue for the big firms. As long as you have a decent level of grades in your education (irrespective of what you've done) the onus is on you to meet the personal and intellectual demands of their recruitment process.

The key thing to remember about a position in one of the big 4 is the lack of job security. Your continued employment is contingent on exam passes and the leniency varies from small to nothing. By far the easiest part is actually scooping the job in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I have just graduated and have very good grades, have always worked by not directly related work exp.

My main interest in marketing, but I have always thought about accountacy as a B plan. Also the fact that there are offices for the big firms in Manchester is a big draw.

The main disadvantages for me would be:
    1) my maths ability!!!! All too often I hear that ''you dont need to be good at maths'', which I can't believe
    2) The boring nature of accountancy
    3) The difficulty/ extra work involved in studying to pass the qualifications.

any info would be much appriciated.
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick-2)
    Hmm I have just graduated and have very good grades, have always worked by not directly related work exp.

My main interest in marketing, but I have always thought about accountacy as a B plan. Also the fact that there are offices for the big firms in Manchester is a big draw.

1) my maths ability!!!! All too often I hear that ''you dont need to be good at maths'', which I can't believe

any info would be much appriciated.
    thanks
    what i like about this post is how it doesn't ask any questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick-2)

People say it because it's true, there is no complicated maths involved at all. The hardest maths is in passing the aptitude tests.

If this is your attitude then I really don't recommend applying. Going into a job thinking you're going to be bored and not want to study for the exams isn't going to get you anywhere I'm afraid. You need to be motivated.

ReputationRep:
    cheers for your reply.

Well the main barrier is my lack of maths skills, I do find the numerical tests very tough, so just think I may be shown up in day to day work with my lack of maths. This then relates to my thinking that I would not be able to pass the exams you study for.

Whilst I understand that accountancy may not be based on advanced maths, I did find double entry/ credit/debit etc. really challending in my first year accounting modules, although I did end up scoring highest in both Financial Accounting and Management Accounting. But then I did not pick any further finance modules.

It is true that you need to be motivated, but many of us have no idea what are dream graduate career is like. I am interested in marketing but understand that certain jobs in this area may well be considered as 'boring''.

ReputationRep:
    Job: Senior associate for a big 4 firm in assurance

Qualifications: ACA, 1st class electronic engineering degree from a top uni, 3 A-levels and 2 AS's, 10 GCSEs

To get the job: Relevant work experience, evidence of working successfully in groups, practised interview technique, passed recruitment tests

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 86501)
    I'm not sure what you're considering or anything like that and obviously just knowing what I do won't help you much but if you want to chat via PM or anything I am happy to.

I'm in public sector audit at KPMG, just entered into my 2nd year. I went straight from university with no directly relevant work experience (I did have some experience of working in a managing people/supervisory type role).

Not sure what you mean by what I had to do to get the job. Standard graduate recruitment process.
    KPMG is asking for 300 ucas points. Did you have that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yashradia)
    KPMG is asking for 300 ucas points. Did you have that?
    Yes. I suspect you'd need extenuating circumstances if you don't have them and they're a requirement.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.