Is the american life really as cool as made out in da movies? Watch

This discussion is closed.
capslock
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Pffffffffffft. Not sure what movies you have been watching? America is driven by corporate power. May i reccomend you consider some more reliable sources of literature such as Norm Chomsky than *****y americanized movies.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by a_musical_guy)
There's something in that post which worries me.

Yeah, American life is as good as the movies. In the UK, everything is small, dull, boring, old and expensive. America is an amazing place where everything is cheap, large and colourful. Once I have enough money, I'm leaving Little Britain and I'm going to apply for citizenship.
Great country! But, apart from burgers, gas, and cigarrettes it's really not that cheap any more.

Less tax I grant you but you wanna see my private health insurance bill..........$635 a month, my property tax bill...........$350 per month, my homeowners association bill..............$50 a month, my utlities..........$350 a month.

Got to find all that before I even pay the mortgage, car loan, feed myself, clothe myself, set aside drinky money etc.

Sure, you can live in a trailer pretty cheap but if you want any type of lifestyle you pay big. Hell, you wanna be a player? Then you better be a payer!
SirWhale
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
Can't beat good old england with its fish n chips. American humour is soooo bad, they think they are the best. Arogant fools, everyone knows Eric Cantona is the best.
boygenious
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by SirWhale)
Can't beat good old england with its fish n chips. American humour is soooo bad, they think they are the best. Arogant fools, everyone knows Eric Cantona is the best.
sorry to burst your bubble dude, but eric cantona's french
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by boygenious)
sorry to burst your bubble dude, but eric cantona's french
well he didnt say otherwise. everyone knows eric cantona is the best, was a seperate sentence
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I find to England to be a bit claustrophobic, and full of people pushing agendas and false images of themselves. I think California has a scale, which in turn creates greater freedom. Also, people are more open minded there, not so concerned with what others thnk. I love that aspect of the US, and although I can only speak for California, think it's something the British should observe a little more.
Waya
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
AND there are people who think Bush is a MESSIAH, Jesus Reincarnated.... etc
Really? Where are these 'people' I've never met any.
meepmeep
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
And apparently, there are a lot of people in the UK who have never heard of flossing. And?
At least we don't think braces are a fashion accessory that every kid "has" to wear whether or not they need them.

And I promise to stop rising to the flame now.

And I doubt that everybody in America has a great life or that everybody is a Bush worshiper and fat, just as everybody in Britain doesn't talk in Queen's English and wear monacles over afternoon tea in our country mansions.
Waya
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by meepmeep)
At least we don't think braces are a fashion accessory that every kid "has" to wear whether or not they need them.

And I promise to stop rising to the flame now.

And I doubt that everybody in America has a great life or that everybody is a Bush worshiper and fat, just as everybody in Britain doesn't talk in Queen's English and wear monacles over afternoon tea in our country mansions.
Oh gawd I hated having braces. Fashion statement why? They hurt like hell the first month and you can't talk right or kiss properly until you get used to them.
waiting2smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Waya)
Oh gawd I hated having braces. Fashion statement why? They hurt like hell the first month and you can't talk right or kiss properly until you get used to them.
I never had braces, but when i was younger it was the trend to have them - i felt terriblly left out
meepmeep
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Waya)
Actually, it's sad that dentistry is declining in this country (at least state provided dentistry is). No offence to people with braces by the way, just commenting on a stereotype (bad form I know). Sorry!
Egan1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by a_musical_guy)
In the UK, everything is small, dull, boring, old and expensive.
Pah, in your opinion perhaps, but I very much disagree.
waiting2smile
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
england is ok, but i find the us much more exciting, but i'd miss it here if i moved.
101mphfastball
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Though many Americans have a false image of the UK, I did before I came here, unlike most British people I know who have very anti/ have negative views of the United States, Americans have positive views even if they are wrong.........
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by boygenious)
i'm sorry was i talking to you

no i'm kidding you're alright
safe, as long as your not a commie, ur alright 2, (i think) for a n00b
waiting2smile
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 101mphfastball)
Though many Americans have a false image of the UK, I did before I came here, unlike most British people I know who have very anti/ have negative views of the United States, Americans have positive views even if they are wrong.........
my parents are moving next year to the US i'll be all alone, sigh, they think i'll be fine at uni
fred0202
Report 15 years ago
If you go there you will get really fed up with all the "sures" and "your welcome" it is so false.
101mphfastball
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by waiting2smile)
my parents are moving next year to the US i'll be all alone, sigh, they think i'll be fine at uni
Gee, thats nice, not got to school in the States.....probably cost your more though.
101mphfastball
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by fred0202)
If you go there you will get really fed up with all the "sures" and "your welcome" it is so false.
Yeah and is "alright mate" or whatever the typical english greeting is so darn genuine.

Have a nice day!
waiting2smile
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 101mphfastball)
Gee, thats nice, not got to school in the States.....probably cost your more though.
i was advised by my teachers to go to a uni here, i've been told that a lot of the universities in the usa are not even quite up to the a level standard in the first year.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1380)
79.49%
Leave (356)
20.51%

Watched Threads