Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Average guys are you uncomfortable dating a stunning girl? Watch

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine said that average, ordinary looking guys can't handle dating very beautiful women. That they worry about it all too much and in the end they are happier with more ordinary looking girls. Would you say this is true, what are your feelings about this?

ReputationRep:
    I actually don't find stunning girls to be attractive. I mean sure they're hot, but I would be more attracted to a girl with average or slightly above looks.

I may just be weird doe.

ReputationRep:
    Probably true, but I'd do it for the great sex/social status of being seen with such a fit bird.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    Probably true, but I'd do it for the great sex/social status of being seen with such a fit bird.
    So "hypothetically" should a stunning girl play her looks down if she tends to be more attracted to normal looking guys?

ReputationRep:
    I've dated a woman who was vastly more attractive than me but it wasn't a big concern. I'm not the jealous type so it didn't worry me that so many other guys were into her, and while I know my looks didn't compare to hers I have confidence in myself otherwise and there must have been something else that made her interested in me so I just trusted that. I'm a man of high standards anyway and I don't ever like to feel like I'm settling for what I 'should' be able to get. I've probably been with fewer women because of it but it's not something I regret in the long term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ripellino)
    A friend of mine said that average, ordinary looking guys can't handle dating very beautiful women. That they worry about it all too much and in the end they are happier with more ordinary looking girls. Would you say this is true, what are your feelings about this?
    I don't care how 'good looking' a girl is, to me it makes no difference. I like girls who are as beautiful on the inside as they are on the outside.

I don't treat a 'stunning' looking girl any different from any other girl.

I'm not needy at all. I tell every girl I date that they are free to leave at any point, and if they ever meet a guy who better suits their needs then all they have to do is come and tell me and I'm fine with it. Of course, the same applies to me, I am free to leave any time too so it works both ways.

This eliminates all neediness and all jealousy. I don't worry about 'losing' a girl. If she chooses to leave of her own free will, I respect that. In fact I let them worry about losing me.

'Stunning' looks don't impress me at all, and I don't place higher value on any girl who has 'stunning looks'. I don't put her on any special pedestal. I'm more impressed by 'stunning' character and not 'stunning' looks. If a girl believes in honesty, trust and respect, and she is someone I click with and who I genuinely like AS A PERSON, THEN I will label her 'stunning'. Of course I want choose girls I'm sexually attracted to, but that alone is not enough for me to label a girl as 'stunning'.

Ironically, my non-neediness actually makes girls want to stay with me, although I have no problem if they decide to leave.

I realise the way I think is completely the opposite of how most men think. I used to be needy, I used to be clingy, I used to worry about losing girls, etc. It took me years of learning lessons the hard way to develop the mindset and attitude I have now and drop my old needy ways.

Nowdays, I don't worry about any of that at all. I am complete person whether I have a girl in my life or not. I am fulfilled whether I have a girl in my life or not, because I get my fulfillment from my passions and goals in life, and not women.

Maybe I am not an 'average' guy because I am quite an individual, but if the 'average' guy was to adopt these same mindsets, he'd have much more chance of keeping the girls who come into his life.

Looks are all a lie anyway because women take the makeup off every night. A 'stunning looking' girl is probably fairly average looking without the makeup anyway, so it's just stupid to put women on a pedestal for the looks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ripellino)
    So "hypothetically" should a stunning girl play her looks down if she tends to be more attracted to normal looking guys?
    I'd say the main thing is not to come off as vain/superficial, or give the impression 'you're so lucky to be with me' - basically don't make it seem like you know you're better looking than the guy.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not uncomfortable dating a stunning girl but then again I don't know if I'm average or above average (I don't think I'm ugly, not trying to be big-headed or anything).

I would probably be too shy to be myself around her, as she probably gets loads of offers from hot guys with great personalities anyway.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.