Turn on thread page Beta

Sore Scars watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I basically got a new intestine last week and I have 3 large scars on my stomach. I know they are healing etc. but they are severely burning as if they are ripping open, they are infected but its not the infected thing that hurts its all of the scars. I'm on dihydrocodeine and paracetamol but is there anything else I can take to stop the burning?

Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    Have you been given antibiotics for the infection? You need to tell your doctor how you are feeling, could be important for them to know and also they can probably give you something that will help relieve the discomfort/ pain. Once you have got rid of the infection properly and are on the mend, use Bio-oil (check with your doc first before using it) - it is fantastic for helping the skin to heal and for getting rid of scars. But don't use it until your doc says it's okay, you need to get rid of the infection and the pain first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bookera)
    Have you been given antibiotics for the infection? You need to tell your doctor how you are feeling, could be important for them to know and also they can probably give you something that will help relieve the discomfort/ pain. Once you have got rid of the infection properly and are on the mend, use Bio-oil (check with your doc first before using it) - it is fantastic for helping the skin to heal and for getting rid of scars. But don't use it until your doc says it's okay, you need to get rid of the infection and the pain first.
    Yeahh I've been put on something today and they took a swab to check its the right antibiotics im on but im terrified that one of the scars is going to rip open it feels so tight and like its splitting :eek: I can tolerate pain quite well but I have a scar the size of my eye, one the size of my nail and a 8'' one down my stomach all fit to burst

ReputationRep:
    I know it's easy for me to say but try and put your trust in the doctors - things will get better. Try and rest up and take the meds that they give you and believe that you will get well - you will !

ReputationRep:
    I know it's easy for me to say but try and put your trust in the doctors - things will get better. Try and rest up and take the meds that they give you and believe that you will get well - you will !

How are you doing today? Any better?

ReputationRep:
    Were you prescribed the dihydrocodeine or did you buy it from the chemist? It is the strongest painkiller we can sell over the counter, but you really shouldn't use it for more than 3 days at a time. If you were prescribed it though it might be different if your doctor says you can take it continually. I'm guessing you are not allowed to take ibuprofen?

To be honest, the painkillers won't do anything unless the infection is controlled. Stick to the antibiotics, things will clear up eventually, and only take the painkillers when you need to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cybele)
    Were you prescribed the dihydrocodeine or did you buy it from the chemist? It is the strongest painkiller we can sell over the counter, but you really shouldn't use it for more than 3 days at a time. If you were prescribed it though it might be different if your doctor says you can take it continually. I'm guessing you are not allowed to take ibuprofen?

To be honest, the painkillers won't do anything unless the infection is controlled. Stick to the antibiotics, things will clear up eventually, and only take the painkillers when you need to.
    I have it on prescription and take 60mg at night time to try and get to sleep but its not working anymore. I'm not allowed ibuprofen or diclofenac because it can cause stomach ulcers :/ Its been almost a week and although my infection hasn't spread it doesn't seem to have gotten any better.
    I contracted a nice bladder infection too, lucky white heather.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweet by and by)
    I basically got a new intestine last week and I have 3 large scars on my stomach. I know they are healing etc. but they are severely burning as if they are ripping open, they are infected but its not the infected thing that hurts its all of the scars. I'm on dihydrocodeine and paracetamol but is there anything else I can take to stop the burning?

Thankyou

How's it going? Are you on the mend yet?

ReputationRep:
    How's it going? Are you on the mend yet?
    Walking about etc but my wounds are still infected. I guess I can't complain too much:o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweet by and by)
    Walking about etc but my wounds are still infected. I guess I can't complain too much:o:
    Keep taking the meds, things will get better :o:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 4, 2010
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.